Summer foxing

walshie

The greenkeeper at a golf course we shoot at texted me he was seeing a lot of fox activity so we went for a butchers last night. Not ideal conditions as it was warm and still with a big moon, but we gave it a go anyway.

We saw 3 foxes before we even got the gun out of the slip. Once we were set up it seemed to take ages to get dark and laying in wait wasn't productive so we went for a drive round in the gator. As the greenkeeper said, there were a lot of foxes about, but as usual were skulking deep in the bushes or tantalisingly close to the main road.

After a short while one showed its face and copped a bullet right in the chest. It was a young dog, about 3/4 grown so probably not from this years litter. We expected to see a lot of cubs about, but we only saw 1 or 2. A bit more driving and a another dog was sat watching us. It wasn't bothered by us in the slightest, and that was its downfall.

Then it seemed to go really quiet. Waiting up in the trees didn't produce anything. Driving round we didn't see any, then the sprinklers came on. As we have found in the past, the foxes lie low when the sprinklers are on, so we headed back to the clubhouse. 

Driving down the last fairway we saw a fox a couple of fairways over. It was edgy and wouldn't keep still for the shot. My glamorous assistant had it in the crosshairs but it kept walking. A quick squeak and it stopped long enough for the shot. When we got to it, it was a vixen, but had a big old bite mark on its thigh and inner leg. The bite was festering and full of maggots. I don't know if it would have been another fox that did that, or someone's dog, but I don't think it would have healed up very well.

At least he shot something, so could now stop the flouncing about and boo-boo lip. :laugh:

All in all, not a bad evening. We were there for 3 hours (1 of those hours waiting for it to get dark) and had 3 foxes. 

• 4 weeks later...