A few more birds off the Norfolk peas at last

lakeside1000

After several outings to local pea fields with dire results you can imagine my lack of enthusiasm when the farmer called to say he was away for a few days so he needed me to spend some time on the peas in case the pigeons turned up, 

Not wanting to get the wrong side of my best permission manager I duly loaded the car just after lunch on Wednesday and headed up to the largest of the half dozen pea fields now just showing white flowers, no one else in sight and a strong easterly blowing straight down the field, at the highest point and at the easterly end of the field is a row of large oaks and to my astonishment it was alive with birds moving in and out of the peas.

I loaded up my trolley and headed up to a large oak which stands on a dogleg about 1/3 of the way down the far side of the field, under a small sicamor tree was an old hide opening used previously by someone with good all round views and some shade from the very bright sunshine.

I was set and ready by 3.00 with 20 shells , one dead bird on the floater and two more on the magnet, immediately birds started to show interest, coming head on into the pattern and giving me some of the best mid range targets I have had for some time, 

I had just modified the butt pad extension on my Beretta 391A to give me a slightly longer stock with better mount as I had been shooting high and struggling to correct the gun mount, and it worked a treat, the first 3 birds were hit square in centre pattern, the 4th was a high downwind shot and  I missed by a country mile, failing to swing with the bird I shot behind and cursed my  old stiff back which no longer moves freely in any direction, 

From then on I limited myself to slightly more realistic shots in front and out to the sides but ignored most overheads and long range stuff, this seemed to work well , selecting better shots my hit rate was running around 5 out of every 6 , as the numbers built up I replaced all the shells with dead birds on either long rods or cradles.

I had previously had many doubles but only once had a treble and that was years ago with an old Remington skeet gun , but there in front of me were at least 10 birds , low and over the decoys, two shots took 2 down in the centre of the decoy pattern and the rest scattered, but for some strange reason one bird circled out and headed for a large oak to my left, as it crossed the corner of the pattern I fired my last cartridge and hit it dead centre, If I could have I would have done a little dance, but I contented myself with a smug grin and reloaded.3 with 3, magic.

By 6.30 it had slowed down but I stuck it out for a few more birds and it payed off, around 7.00 back they came, coming in down wind from a small wooded area and turning over the decoys to take a slow drift over the pattern, making some very nice targets, I cleared away at 8.00, and counted up, 36 picked with a few lost through the trees into some tall weedy ground ( 6 foot thistles and brambles, no thank you ) and a couple more into a wheat field where I did not want to trample crops, so I think around 43 down , not a massive score but compared to the one's and two's I have been getting quite an improvement. at least the farm manager  will be pleased I made the effort.

Edited by lakeside1000