Anschutz 1517 hmr

ShootingEgg

5 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Thumbhole version - well pleased. Anschutz are addictive so get a two stage trigger. Apart from the fact that they're far better than a single stage, then when you get the 22LR which comes as 2 stage as standard, you can then match them very easily (it's the same trigger unit).

Yeah I am picking up the "deluxe". So skellington stock and thumbhole. It has the 2 stage trigger also. Not sure I can justify trading the 22 yet haha but wilould be tempting.. 

I had one several years ago with a two stage trigger , 14” barrel , thumbhole stock , lovely gun engineering and finish exceptional sold it when i fell out with the HMR ,if i were to get another it would be with the 18” barrel just my preference

however i now have a CZ hmr in grey thumbhole stock and 20” barrel which imo is just as accurate as the annie but probably not as well finished although i have no complaints , good luck and enjoy

19 minutes ago, telf said:

I had one several years ago with a two stage trigger , 14” barrel , thumbhole stock , lovely gun engineering and finish exceptional sold it when i fell out with the HMR ,if i were to get another it would be with the 18” barrel just my preference

however i now have a CZ hmr in grey thumbhole stock and 20” barrel which imo is just as accurate as the annie but probably not as well finished although i have no complaints , good luck and enjoy

Why did you fall out? With the round itself? 

24 minutes ago, telf said:

:good:

51 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Why did you fall out? With the round itself? 

Basically yes , possibly didnt really give it as much time as i should have , was shooting the .22 all of the time really with great success 

but now love the cz to bits and now have a permission where due to the amount of rabbits it really comes into its own

8 minutes ago, telf said:

Basically yes , possibly didnt really give it as much time as i should have , was shooting the .22 all of the time really with great success 

but now love the cz to bits and now have a permission where due to the amount of rabbits it really comes into its own

Yeah, ive not used my 22 in ages, dusted it off last night just to check zero and forgot how good a rifle it is and how quiet it is. Will start using it more whilst waiting for the variation to complete. 

Hmr's are like a box of chocolates.............you never know what you are going to get until you come to shoot it ;)

I had a CZ American and it was absolutely hopeless. Couldn't get it to shoot anywhere near as good as it was supposed to. Sold it and got an old BSA .22 Hornet, which I used until the old girl went to the big gunshop in the sky.

Bought a CZ Hmr 452 Varmint with the 16" barrel and the accuracy with this rifle is astounding. Went out Tuesday evening and was able to pick off rabbits on the other side of the field with ease. Took a really good 150+ yd Magpie; went over like a 9 pin without even so much as a flutter.

Spent forever worrying about how and when to clean it as I had heard so many tales of woe about having to shoot half a box of ammo before it would shoot again after cleaning etc. 

Now I just give it a good clean every outing, fire one fouling shot and just shoot it. Spot on.:good:

I have a 1517 Thumbhole deluxe. Not skeleton stock, was too light. Made sure it had 2 stage trigger on order form. 

I went for the 14” barrel. Should of gone 18”. I haven’t chronograohed it but it’s a dirty round as it is and I get a lot of half burnt powder in the mod. The groups on mine are tight out to 100-110 yards then really start opening up. Sub 1MOA @ 100yards and about 2 or 3 moa at 125 yards. 

The 14” barrel is very light and pointable but I wanted the .17 for 150 yard rabbits and it’s just not capable of that. It only has about 20 yards more ‘very accurate’ range than my cheapo CZ .22LR. 

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

So the 14" barrel isn't capable of a 150yrd shot?????? Sounds a bit odd to me. 

For hmr  the 16 inch barrel is better

.22lr is good with the 14 inch.

The longer barrel on the .17hmr  makes it alot more accurate at 150 yards plus also the shorter barrel effects power the shorter the barrel then less burn and can create s greater variation in fps

Bullberry Barrel Length vs. Velocity DATA
22 inch = 2517 fps, 103  fps spread
21 inch = 2523 fps,  66  fps spread
20 inch = 2515 fps,  86  fps spread
19 inch = 2538 fps,  83  fps spread
18 inch = 2522 fps,  41  fps spread
17 inch = 2505 fps,  43  fps spread
16 inch = 2492 fps,  53  fps spread
15 inch = 2477 fps,  27  fps spread
14 inch = 2432 fps,  70  fps spread
13 inch = 2419 fps,  32  fps spread
12 inch = 2387 fps,  57  fps spread
11 inch = 2338 fps,  45  fps spread
10 inch = 2276 fps,  45  fps spread

the above data from here

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

Edited by psycho

1 hour ago, psycho said:

For hmr  the 16 inch barrel is better

.22lr is good with the 14 inch.

The longer barrel on the .17hmr  makes it alot more accurate at 150 yards plus also the shorter barrel effects power the shorter the barrel then less burn and can create s greater variation in fps

Bullberry Barrel Length vs. Velocity DATA
22 inch = 2517 fps, 103  fps spread
21 inch = 2523 fps,  66  fps spread
20 inch = 2515 fps,  86  fps spread
19 inch = 2538 fps,  83  fps spread
18 inch = 2522 fps,  41  fps spread
17 inch = 2505 fps,  43  fps spread
16 inch = 2492 fps,  53  fps spread
15 inch = 2477 fps,  27  fps spread
14 inch = 2432 fps,  70  fps spread
13 inch = 2419 fps,  32  fps spread
12 inch = 2387 fps,  57  fps spread
11 inch = 2338 fps,  45  fps spread
10 inch = 2276 fps,  45  fps spread

the above data from here

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

I've seen those figures several times before and I'm not quite sure what's going on.  The FPS spread is all over the place and the barrel length FPS is also up and down!

Is this simply due to very poorly made ammo, I struggle to believe the figures are entirely reflective of different length barrels. 

Shooting egg isn’t capable of making a 150 yard shot anyways so he doesn’t need to worry about it ?

Saying that I missed 2-3 rabbits the other night under 40 yards with my 17! I managed to hit 2 at around 80-90 yards though! Not sure how that happened. 

15 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Shooting egg isn’t capable of making a 150 yard shot anyways so he doesn’t need to worry about it ?

Saying that I missed 2-3 rabbits the other night under 40 yards with my 17! I managed to hit 2 at around 80-90 yards though! Not sure how that happened. 

You missed.. Thats what happened... ? 

Brad 93.

This sounds very weird ! 

Sub MOA @ 100 should still be sub MOA at 150y.

Bad batch ammo?  Badly stored prior to purchase?

My mate has the exact same rifle and only the other week I watched him annihilating crows 130 - 150 yards with it without a miss.

Edited by Robertt