cheap rod and reel combo

paul1966

Off camping to wales soon and on the site is a fishing lake, always fancied having a go and the kids are interested too, don't want to pay a lot as we might not go again, in go outdoors they have a shakespeare rod and reel for  tenner, its got mixed reviews but i guess for a tenner you can't expect much, are there any other outfits that might be better, don't want a toy but the budget is £25 max. also will i need a rod license, its a private lake in the middle of the welsh countryside.

for a tenner it will do the job, but have a look what line is on the reel, if its silly heavy you might well struggle catching smaller stuff.

i would rather catch twenty small roach or perch than a couple of bigger fish doesn't take long for kids to get bored.

I think you will need a rod licence but you can get one for a week if you want, or you could?

hope you all enjoy it.

don't forget to get a disgorger as well ? 

Thanks, i have ordered the rod, having read the reviews the first thing to do is to change the line for a lighter better quality one. There's a local shop that sells angling kit so will see if they sell any kits with everything we will need.

2 hours ago, paul1966 said:

Thanks, i have ordered the rod, having read the reviews the first thing to do is to change the line for a lighter better quality one. There's a local shop that sells angling kit so will see if they sell any kits with everything we will need.

Sale on now at John Norris, lines £2.99, fit your budget.

JOHN NORRIS FLY LINES

8 hours ago, paul1966 said:

thanks but i think fly fishing is beyond our skill level which at the minute is zero, the price of some of them lines !! this fishing lark is more expensive than shooting.

I'm sure angling is the biggest participating sport in the country or was? Which is why the antis backed down, much easier to pick on grouse and pheasant shooting.

you can probably get what you need at go out doors but your local shop might sort you some bits out hoping you come back, ready tied hooks are a good idea, and for prices who knows its like shooting you start cheap and go all the way up to silly ?