Kral Jump Puncher

blasterjudd

I have a Walther RM8....fantastic gun at an even more fantastic price!

Weight isn't a problem for me, never heard of the barrel being easily bent? (Lothar Walther...among the best) and the much

maligned loading system is as smooth as silk and never been a problem.

Opinions, opinions....

If a gun plays up you usually take it back under warranty so am surprised someone has criticised in that manner ...

Anyone else had trouble with a RM8 ?

How much does an RM8 weigh then as most pcp guns are 3.5kg plus ?

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Don't even consider an RM8 without living with one for a few days - they weigh a ton, the barrel is easily bent and the loading system is inherently faulty and damages pellets as they are fed into the chamber.

Bit surprised with your complaint surely you should take it back under warranty ....? 

I would guess the Mags are common to another Gun manufacturer so should be fine ? Do you lnow who makes them ?

1 hour ago, Bobydazzler said:

I have a Walther RM8....fantastic gun at an even more fantastic price!

Weight isn't a problem for me, never heard of the barrel being easily bent? (Lothar Walther...among the best) and the much

maligned loading system is as smooth as silk and never been a problem.

Opinions, opinions....

How much does yours weigh with scope and silencer ?

Problem with just taking the gun back under warrenty and expecting everything to be super lovely .

Is that if there is a design fault or the parts that fail are all just rubbish .

Then the manufacturer can only replace with more rubbish /bad design bits .and if it still doesnt work how you would like .then thats tough as the gun is now working as it was designed and you bought into that faults and all .

Your only option is to be a rejection or avoid in the first place. 

Which i believe is what bruno is saying. 

Edited by Ultrastu

2 hours ago, blasterjudd said:

How much does yours weigh with scope and silencer ?

Just plonked it on the scales....still in it's padded bag.....with Hawke Vantage scope and Weihrauch Silencer fitted - 5.1 kg.

Gun alone is 3.6 kg.

Ultrastu - I know what bruno is saying but it isn't sacrosanct, it's his opinion, and opinions are like *********....we've all got one!

....oops, there's a swear filter?

2 hours ago, blasterjudd said:

Anyone else had trouble with a RM8 ?

Show me someone who hasn't had some form of trouble with any gun at some point!

Edited by Bobydazzler

OK - pop your mag out of your RM8 and load a pellet - face the mag towards you as if you were about to shoot yourself in the face and push the pellet thru with a matchstick or similar and watch what happens as the pellet exits the Mag - the retaining band is so wide and strong that it tips the pellet upwards as it leaves the magazine and this causes the common "notchy" feel on loading many RM8's. The barrel obviously is Walther but mine bent in the action after falling over when I leant it against a tree - not impressed - sold mine after less than 2 weeks and was glad to get rid.

I think all this proves bruno is that pellets aren't engineered/intended to be pushed out of a retainer into thin air......of course it'll skew!

Conversely, as long as it's lined up (and it doesn't need to be perfectly aligned) ....and closely....with a barrel it'll put itself right without issue.

Coincidentally I've just been reading a post concerning a HW101. It's presenting a 0.5mm drop when leaving the magazine, from the block to the barrel, but it's

only an observation and not a problem as the barrel is aligned with the block.

I believe the 'common, notchy feel' you refer to is the action bedding in......I felt it initially but after a few hundred pellets it's now as smooth as can be.

Casting aspersions (or being unimpressed) on a barrel for being bent after the gun fell over from being lent against a tree is hardly fair m8! The weight of an

RM8 is primarily in the centre area of the rifle, if the barrel hit the ground muzzle first what's gonna happen?!

You formulated a very firm and negative opinion based upon some bad luck and less than two weeks of ownership?

Of course you're entitled to that opinion, and I respect it, but I don't think you can fairly say, with conviction, that it's really balanced?

I love this gun, it never lets me down, shoot's pellet on pellet at thirty yards (plus), looks the dog's cahoonies and didn't cost an arm and a leg. I've seen many, many

glowing reviews and owner reports but also some weird hate over it? Is there really such snobbery in gun ownership....'my car's a BMW, cost four times more than yours

therefore HAS to be better'....I thought we were all mostly level/hard headed folks?

I'm really not singling you out bruno (and the snobbery remark above isn't in reference to you), I'm just trying to give the OP a fair and balanced response.

Edited by Bobydazzler

Fair points indeed, Bobydazzler, but 2 weeks of ownership were more than enough for me. The loading/notchy issue has been mentioned by many others and I was aware of the potential problem before I bought my gun - most had put it down to the action simply needing to "bed in" but on inspection ( I was a precision engineer for many years) the problem soon became obvious that the magazines retaining ring is simply too wide - using a more domed pellet gives an immediate improvement but Walther should really put a larger taper into the breach and replace the ring with an o ring. I have spoken to the actual designer of the gun at some length concerning the above issues - maybe later ones have been redesigned. As for the barrel - this is a sporter and should be capable of withstanding reasonable treatment in the field - nearly 4kg of gun against 1/2 metre of thin unsupported barrel fixed to an aluminium body is not a marriage made in heaven. In my capacity as a pest controller for 6 (ish) months of the year I cannot afford to have the slightest doubt in my equipment's ability to deliver in any situation and that was not the case with the RM8 - just being let down once is enough - my current guns are faultless (IMHO) and capable of rough handling, rarely need re-zeroing and are more accurate than I could ever be - not going to say they are better than your RM8 cos that's simply down to a matter of opinion, but they are all the gun I will ever need. I am genuinely glad that you love your RM8 - I wish I had felt the same just for the shot count alone but it wasn't to be.

Well said bruno! I bow to your knowledge and take on board what you say regarding the apparent engineering decisions, maybe I got lucky and got a good 'un

....but there are lemons everywhere *cough* BSA (the obvious inescapable result of mass production)

It's a real shame you didn't have a better experience 'cos at the price point I really think it's unbeatable.

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Fair points indeed, Bobydazzler, but 2 weeks of ownership were more than enough for me. The loading/notchy issue has been mentioned by many others and I was aware of the potential problem before I bought my gun - most had put it down to the action simply needing to "bed in" but on inspection ( I was a precision engineer for many years) the problem soon became obvious that the magazines retaining ring is simply too wide - using a more domed pellet gives an immediate improvement but Walther should really put a larger taper into the breach and replace the ring with an o ring. I have spoken to the actual designer of the gun at some length concerning the above issues - maybe later ones have been redesigned. As for the barrel - this is a sporter and should be capable of withstanding reasonable treatment in the field - nearly 4kg of gun against 1/2 metre of thin unsupported barrel fixed to an aluminium body is not a marriage made in heaven. In my capacity as a pest controller for 6 (ish) months of the year I cannot afford to have the slightest doubt in my equipment's ability to deliver in any situation and that was not the case with the RM8 - just being let down once is enough - my current guns are faultless (IMHO) and capable of rough handling, rarely need re-zeroing and are more accurate than I could ever be - not going to say they are better than your RM8 cos that's simply down to a matter of opinion, but they are all the gun I will ever need. I am genuinely glad that you love your RM8 - I wish I had felt the same just for the shot count alone but it wasn't to be.

Bruno fair comments but perhaps you could advise us in your profession what guns you now own/shoot and recommend over the RM8 ?

Am certain this could be good advice for all of us guys looking into pcps

I'll say get a rapid, Bruno will say AA ultra stu will say BSA, everyone will have a different opinion.

i haven't shot the RM8 just handled it, it seemed huge, didn't find the grip comfortable at all, no scope  on it.

find something that catches your eye, read reviews and see how many are for sale second hand, folk don't sell good guns often, gunstar only had 3 tx 200s today and two were same place new!!

Thats correct mice .i will say bsa every time ..its what i know and trust .

Right or wrong thats where my heart lies .in good old fashion  british engineering.

I just wish more british shooters would also buy british. For me i think its the best .

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

Thats correct mice .i will say bsa every time ..its what i know and trust .

Right or wrong thats where my heart lies .in good old fashion  british engineering.

I just wish more british shooters would also buy british. For me i think its the best .

Commendable sentiment ultrastu and I wish I could join you....but I can't ?

Looked very long and hard at purchasing an R10, undeniably beautiful gun to my eyes, but delve a little

deeper and the number of reports of problems and customer dissatisfaction is horrendous!

One comment (unchallenged) that stuck in my head was buy one new and it's a given that you will need

to spend circa £200 to have it fettled and tuned properly! That's nearly half of what I paid for the Walther!!

6 hours ago, Mice! said:

I'll say get a rapid, Bruno will say AA ultra stu will say BSA, everyone will have a different opinion.

i haven't shot the RM8 just handled it, it seemed huge, didn't find the grip comfortable at all, no scope  on it.

find something that catches your eye, read reviews and see how many are for sale second hand, folk don't sell good guns often, gunstar only had 3 tx 200s today and two were same place new!!

^^^^^ This ^^^^ :)

Edited by Bobydazzler

As Mice so correctly states - we all swear by different makers - mine is AA all day - had them since the SM100 nearly 20 years ago and in all that time the total spares repair bill has been under £10 - I have a standard S410 in .177 and a Walnut stocked carbine in .22 - both true LH. Both guns were less than £600 for the pair so, in theory, with the LH getting rare and considering current SH prices if I ever had to sell them (:no:) I should get my money back or maybe make a little so my shooting is really self financing.

As with any Gun there are plenty of options out there, some loaded with features (many of which are largely superfluous in the field), but catch out the unwary or unsure (Daystate have built their empire on such buyers) but until you have a few years under your belt spent undertaking the most usual form of your sport it's easy to be fooled into thinking that the very latest Carlos Fandango Laser guided 3/4" calibre PCP with a infinite shot count is the only gun that will bring home the bacon. We all seem guilty of missing the main criteria when discussing the potential of any Airgun - it's nothing to do with the gun at all - it's us.

On 30/06/2018 at 23:59, bruno22rf said:

OK - pop your mag out of your RM8 and load a pellet - face the mag towards you as if you were about to shoot yourself in the face and push the pellet thru with a matchstick or similar and watch what happens as the pellet exits the Mag - the retaining band is so wide and strong that it tips the pellet upwards as it leaves the magazine and this causes the common "notchy" feel on loading many RM8's. The barrel obviously is Walther but mine bent in the action after falling over when I leant it against a tree - not impressed - sold mine after less than 2 weeks and was glad to get rid.

Lesson to learn - don't lean your Gun against a tree. Hardly a problem with the gun.

That's akin to saying that cars should not have bumpers or Air Bags - because you shouldn't really have an accident - leaning my gun against a tree is not the wisest course of action but it happens now and again - the gun fell onto a thick carpet of dead leaves and I would not expect such damage to happen so easily - my AA's do not suffer as they have supporting rings fitted twixt the barrel and cylinder so it is a potential problem with the RM8 - have you never dropped your gun a little carelessly or had a Springer (Dog) use it as a seat, turned around in a woodland and tapped the barrel against a tree? I have no axe to grind with the Walther and it seems to please a lot of people but it's not for me.

I cant really say anything about the Kral, but Ill give another thumbs up for the RM 8.

Yes its heavy, as in its a bit more heavy than something like an AA 400, but a lot of that is with its large capacity tank.

Ive never had a loading problem with it, its a bit stiff to start, and needs a firm action on the bolt, but if it clips pellets, then it doesnt seem to effect accuracy, and its easily as accurate as my Daystate.

If I have a gripe, its with the stock, the lacquer seems to be peeling around the edges, a couple of years down the line, for no apparent reason ?
But thats it, I would buy another if I needed to.

• 4 weeks later...

I know 3 people who own the rm8 and have used one myself 

2 of them have had no problems apart from the mags wearing in the middle from indexing 

The other one was for ever jamming pellets  

Not had  the kral but did have the puncher breaker and spent a lot of time fettling to get it ...

For the same budget  if you can get on with a bullpup  I can highly recommend a zbroia kozak  or full size hortitsia superb build, finish and been reg'd plenty of shots 

Think sureshot and pellpax have them on their sites 

On 02/07/2018 at 00:26, bruno22rf said:

As with any Gun there are plenty of options out there, some loaded with features (many of which are largely superfluous in the field), but catch out the unwary or unsure (Daystate have built their empire on such buyers) but until you have a few years under your belt spent undertaking the most usual form of your sport ..........

Prey tell what are what are these superflous features us Daystate owners have bought?

I own three Daystate rifles and have used airguns in the fields for over 50 years and haven't got a clue what you are talking about, sorry.   

Edited by Whitebridges

Electronic triggers - reflex moderators (Belas recently admitted on HOTAIR that they never really worked) - digital readout - shrouded barrel (that then needed a mod to silence) - just off the top of my head, bought an adaptor direct from them once to fit a mod to a MK3 and it had been machined over 1/2mm off centre - rang them only to be told that they were all like that and that they knew but were still selling them. Beginner at 43 years using Airguns but after owning their (at the time) Flagship model I would never dream of buying another, only my opinion of course and not shared by you but we all speak as we find and I am glad that you are happy with yours ;).

24 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Electronic triggers - reflex moderators (Belas recently admitted on HOTAIR that they never really worked) - digital readout - shrouded barrel (that then needed a mod to silence) - just off the top of my head, bought an adaptor direct from them once to fit a mod to a MK3 and it had been machined over 1/2mm off centre - rang them only to be told that they were all like that and that they knew but were still selling them. Beginner at 43 years using Airguns but after owning their (at the time) Flagship model I would never dream of buying another, only my opinion of course and not shared by you but we all speak as we find and I am glad that you are happy with yours .

I got told for 15 years Id made a mistake buying a Mk 3 , 'Itll pack up when it rains'   'Those triggers are rubbish!'  'Batteries only last a year ,then its £200 to replace them '

And so on, none of it came true, and Ive heard of PLENTY of issues with other less complicated PCPs .
To each their own.