Bought some ‘art’

ph5172

Yesterday I bought some art. 

I have many friends who buy art at gallery days and for (what I perceive as) silly prices mainly based on the painters name. Whilst I admit some are rather good. 

I believe art should be bought based on if you like it so.....

I recently bought a picture... from all places a yard sale. They young lad asked if I wanted anymore as he was getting rid of them. I said I only really liked this particular one and his reply was - it is a nice frame have you got something to go in it? No I’m buying it because I like the picture... really? Yep it’s the picture. 

Mum, Dad and grandma appear and it turns out said lad painted it and he was taken back someone had paid the pricley sum of £5 for his picture and not the frame. 

I think he was as made up selling a painting as I was buying it!

what do you think? (The photo is not the best)

the little tag at the bottom is the lads name and ‘prize’ from a school display  

E90D0CDC-2EB7-4A6B-BBE7-094AB1D8E1F5.jpeg

Edited by ph5172

It’s all in the eye of the beholder, and very very subjective.

As an artist it no longer surprises me what people create nor even more so what people will buy. If you enjoyed creating or if you like it enough to pay for it, then that’s all that matters. 

I regret not buying a painting a few years back, the artist had caught the way horses move so perfectly in a spot I know well. 

I walked past it a few times a week for the four weeks it was on display but never had the money (it was only £340 but cash was very tight at the time), then someone else bought it. 

I have seen many lovely paintings before and since but that is the only one I regret not buying. 

Art is a very strange beast if you are looking for investment unless you have loads of money to gamble with or know a good artist that will increase in value   If not just buy what you personally like it might go up it might get thrown away or bootsaled in 10 years time but at least you liked it for a while 

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

how old was the kid? I wouldn't want it hanging in my front room but its good and there is a lot going on.

It’s not going in the front room, I don’t like it that much. it’s going in the bar. 

When he did it... about 12 give or take judging by the date on it

17 hours ago, Scully said:

It’s all in the eye of the beholder, and very very subjective.

As an artist it no longer surprises me what people create nor even more so what people will buy. If you enjoyed creating or if you like it enough to pay for it, then that’s all that matters. 

Not in Picasso case.   He looks out of his left ear ? .   Much rather look at a AA TX2OO in Walnut.  Now there is a thing of beauty, and art at its best.

We have a few pieces of "art" my Wifes favorite we bought at a charity auction for a childrens hospice it cost us £420 and my wife loves it and thats why we bought it. Very simular work by the same artist sells for around the £1000 - £1500 mark at the moment, maybe next year it will be worth £25. Either way it won't be sold as it bring much joy to my wife and that is worth a lot more.

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder and you do see some odd offerings on pub and restaurant walls, with £hundreds price tags.

We have quite a few original paintings and some by "known" artists, all purchased because we liked them, never as an investment. This is fortunate, because paintings rarely appreciate in value (unless you have rare Masters). If you are lucky enough to find someone who really likes a painting you are selling, you may make a profit.

If you want a dose of reality about your family heirloom, or best buy,  take it to a decent Auction House and get a valuation.

A friend took what he considered to be part of his pension pot to get a valuation recently and was asked how often he had a bonfire.?

20 hours ago, SPARKIE said:

ummm not overly keen on that...

here's mine I bought a few years go from a local artist

grant.jpg

That's a great painting but almost spooled by the signature, if could have been far lighter and closer to the border.

As it is it draws your eye away from subject, which is a shame.

20 hours ago, SPARKIE said:

ummm not overly keen on that...

here's mine I bought a few years go from a local artist

grant.jpg

A nice delicate watercolour.

None of my business ( and it was the comment by Dunkield which made me wonder ) but it would appear from the reflections on that photo'  that the painting is exposed to quite strong daylight. It may not be, but if so I would advise against allowing any watercolour to be exposed to direct or strong daylight. Many watercolour pigments are fugitive, and even those described as permanent will eventually be bleached and fade by strong daylight. If that signature is ink, there may come a time when that is all that is visible if exposed to strong daylight. 

A acquaintance of mine bought bought a piece of art by a famous living artist as an investment, problem being it`s worthless as an investment now as now one wants to touch it. Artist being Ralph Harris.

Some times you get lucky but most times it`s best to buy to enjoy.

17 minutes ago, Scully said:

A nice delicate watercolour.

None of my business ( and it was the comment by Dunkield which made me wonder ) but it would appear from the reflections on that photo'  that the painting is exposed to quite strong daylight. It may not be, but if so I would advise against allowing any watercolour to be exposed to direct or strong daylight. Many watercolour pigments are fugitive, and even those described as permanent will eventually be bleached and fade by strong daylight. If that signature is ink, there may come a time when that is all that is visible if exposed to strong daylight. 

I'm sure sparkie would shelter it from sunlight standing in front of it, nearly all my prints (Mick Cawston)

are framed using UV reflective glass and also keptout of direct sunlight( like all else in our house really).

You could always cover the signature using a border, or just cut it off. ?

Each to their own art wise, the picture doesn't do it for me but then I suppose do some of mine. 

Price wise though some of Mick Cawstons prints have appreciated in value quite considerably, so they have been an investment. 

Trudging around behind the missus shopping in Lynmouth the other day this stopped me in my tracks. The original in oil was outside of the artists studio and at 3ft by 4ft is so striking it genuinely moved me, I just couldn't look away. Couldn't afford the original so looked at buying a smaller print but it didn't seem to have the same impact. Wandered around the gallery admiring other pieces and trying to justify to myself that when something touches you like this then it's worth the price but walked out as we just don't have the money to spend. As we left we passed it again and the impact was just as strong. A strange experience.

20180701_170834.png

I buy stuff because I like it and I think that’s the name of the game. I did also buy a picture of tigger (as in the cartoon) off a homeless guy once for a cup of tea and a pack of crayons based on the fact I mentioned I liked it and he said he drew them to pass the time so was happy to swap it for the above. If I recall I also threw in a pad for good measure. 

4 hours ago, Flyboy1950 said:

A acquaintance of mine bought bought a piece of art by a famous living artist as an investment, problem being it`s worthless as an investment now as now one wants to touch it. Artist being Ralph Harris.

Some times you get lucky but most times it`s best to buy to enjoy.

Funnily enough about 20 years ago I saw a role Harris painting in a shop for sale for about £500  I really liked it and thought of it asa good investment as well but couldn't afford it   as soon as rolf did the Queen painting and got known as a proper artist the price of his work went up by tens of thousands and I so regretted not being able to get his painting due to his current situation the painting is proberbly not worth anything now   shame tho whatever he has done he is a gread artist

7 hours ago, nobbyathome said:

Funnily enough about 20 years ago I saw a role Harris painting in a shop for sale for about £500  I really liked it and thought of it asa good investment as well but couldn't afford it   as soon as rolf did the Queen painting and got known as a proper artist the price of his work went up by tens of thousands and I so regretted not being able to get his painting due to his current situation the painting is proberbly not worth anything now   shame tho whatever he has done he is a gread artist

I have some Rolf originals that I bought as an investment! Now sitting somewhere in my garage. Doh. 

This i bought at a local car boot in a bit of a state ,again  I like it as so much is going on,it is an Original Cecil Aldin, there was a gallery label fixed to original damaged frame,this was supposed to be saved by restorer but it did not survive, I am not "Horesy" at all but I like it,& change out of £50.00 including reframe & light cleaning.

IMG_3712.JPG