world cup

ditchman

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, JDog said:

I simply cannot understand the logic of having Sterling in the team. 

His goal scoring confidence is at rock bottom, he hasn't scored in umpteen matches for England, and he is making the wrong decisions, and is scared to take the shot, when it presents itself, for fear of missing!..........that is why he's faffing about in front of goal and trying to walk the ball into the net!.....his speed is currently a big positive....it will scare defenders witless!.......but is that enough to gamble on him again?

The manager has kept faith in him, expecting his goal scoring to come good.....It hasn't!.......I think it is a massive call for Southgate whether to play him in the semi final now!

I like the look of Loftus-Cheek!....strong and direct!

Know what your saying jdog, but go along with some other posts, has a the ability and cannot be neglected by opposition,

like yesterday Kane was hardly mentioned played his part and I thought sacrificed being in pole position all game for the good of the team, think this is the difference with this squad no man is bigger than the team.

For me the most important part of the game was the lack of dirty, deliberate fouls and Oscar winning acting that we saw with teams from everywhere else but Northern Europe.

At least the ref seemed to know the rules last night and wasn't afraid to use his authority.

On 10/07/2018 at 19:07, Mice! said:

Belgium England final would be nice, see how the first teams get on.

Almost got it! We get to play them again I guess

Well it's not to be, but Croatia were the more clinical on the night, so fair's fair.

Still proud of the team. It's been a far more enjoyable world cup than most and I think they've been a great credit to themselves. Well played England, well played indeed.

Just now, Jaymo said:

I don’t play and can’t play ( two left feet) so I cannot be an armchair critic, but the lads did what they could and full credit to them.

They were outplayed and missed out on some decisions but I salute them.....

I think Southgate may look back on his team selection with regret. Dele and Raheem were rubbish for most of the tournament.

6 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

England did better than expected, but came up short. We had:-

Jordan (I only pass backwards) Henderson.

Sterling, Ali and Lingard (what did they achieve on the field)

Vardy never got a look in and Croatia had Luka Modric

I can't agree with that. Henderson and Lingard had good world cups. I personally expected better, considering some of the opposition's shortcomings. England really should have won tonight. A tweek of the starting line-up or earlier substitutions would have done wonders. I was swearing at the tv for ages for a sub to be made before the equalizer. Gareth could not sense what was imminent.

6 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

We overachieved ..... let's be happy with that, and hope Gareth can keep the teams feet on the ground.

I hear what you're saying, but I can't be happy with the performance tonight. We should have done so much better. We resorted to long ball in the second half. The players will look back with deep regret.

Motty - we will have to agree to disagree. Whatever Henderson and Lingard did in the world cup - up to this point - they didn't do it tonight.

Once we scored and then started to defend deep - second half - it was always going to end in defeat.