Pigeon jerky

GingerCat

Morning Gingercat! Sorry been working away, and thanks agaman, 

to be honest I just followed a biltong recipe off the internet, soak in red wine vinegar for a bit, (that halts the bacteria in its tracks) then roll in crushed coriander seeds and black pepper, or anything you fancy but better if it’s dry, then cover in a salt and brown sugar mix and leave for 3hrs.

then wash off the excess coating in the red wine vinegar left from earlier and hang for 10 to however many days till dried out. 

Ive tried smoked paprika, dried rosemary, dried onion granuals, garlic powder, bbq (bit sticky)

I’ve settled on salt and black pepper 

keep us posted how it goes and if you hit on a good recipe, it’s a great way of using pigeon, I took about 30 breasts to Guernsey with me and it kept well over the 7 day’s, (not many woodies on Guernsey!)

So the other day I marinated 8 thinly sliced pigeon breasts in low salt soy sauce, habenero chill sauce, worchester sauce and lots of pepper. 

I guess it was about half a cup (actual measuring cup) of each.. I left it 24 hours and then popped them in my newly purchased food dehydrator ( 30 quid and a good buy so far as the wife has been trying fruit). 

I gave them about 9 hours on 70.c 

I haven't got a temperature gauge to check it so after 9 hours I poped them in the oven on 80.c for 10 mins to ensure all bacteria is dead. 

Left to cool in the fridge. The verdict is it's pretty good for a first go. I shall change the ingredients up a bit and try wilksy's dry rub as well also but if you haven't got one and fancy something different from a pie or warm pigeon salad then give it a go.

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 17:33, GingerCat said:

So the other day I marinated 8 thinly sliced pigeon breasts in low salt soy sauce, habenero chill sauce, worchester sauce and lots of pepper. 

I guess it was about half a cup (actual measuring cup) of each.. I left it 24 hours and then popped them in my newly purchased food dehydrator ( 30 quid and a good buy so far as the wife has been trying fruit). 

I gave them about 9 hours on 70.c 

I haven't got a temperature gauge to check it so after 9 hours I poped them in the oven on 80.c for 10 mins to ensure all bacteria is dead. 

Left to cool in the fridge. The verdict is it's pretty good for a first go. I shall change the ingredients up a bit and try wilksy's dry rub as well also but if you haven't got one and fancy something different from a pie or warm pigeon salad then give it a go.

I'm by no means an expert but have made quite a bit of jerky and my understanding is that you use soy sauce instead of salt which is the more traditional preservative. Low salt soy might not give the same effect.