Loose on face.

redial

Viewed a Lincoln sxs today.

It looked very good and the woodwork has recently been professionally revamped.

Unfortunately when I removed the fore end and gave it a shake, not only could I feel movement but also hear it.

What sort of money would this be to put right.

I think I could buy it for under £150 or should I look elsewhere ?

Thanks,

29 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

It’s worn out 

have it redone properly or walk away 

just cant understand why people expect gunsmiths to work for nothing 

theres a lot of skill involved in rejointing a action 

+1 For this, so many nasty dodges involving  hammers, punches, vices Etc. don,t just walk away, run,there are bargains out there, this does not  seem to be one.

Some (slight) movement when the forend is off is not a disaster in 1 £150 gun (in my view).  A tiny bit of twist/sideways movement isn't the end of the world.  What shoudn't be there is a significant gap between the barrels and the face (there should be virtually none here), there should be no 'open/close' direction movement, any other  movement (twist/sideways) should be not excessive.  In a well used gun at £150, it isn't going to be like new, and may have years of normal use left in it.

Edited by JohnfromUK

2 minutes ago, Kalahari said:

Just out of interest, is a gun that is "off the face" out of proof?

David.

Strictly I believe not.  However - the proof house will not accept a gun for proof/reproof if it is 'off the face'.  No doubt one of the gunmakers here can give the firm facts.

I believe that be out of proof, there has to have been a significant change in the barrels.  For a 12 bore this is effectively that they are now 10 thou or more larger in diameter than they were at proof at the point at which it is measured (9" forward of the breech face).  However, other 'significant changes' are things like altered chamber lengths and lengthened chambers require reproof.

Notably, wall thickness is not specified for proof.

Proof law is complex and to be frank out dated . A gun can be "in proof " on bore size yet be unsafe to use although legal to sell . There is also the question of a gun being "visibly" out of proof by means of dentsts , pits, bulges or damage to the action . Simplified this means if the gun is not acceptable to the proof house for proof the gun must be "out of proof". 

This is down to interpretation and will depend on the extent of damage.e.g.a barrel may measure in proof but be very heavily pitted or badly bulged . A loose action or being off face will not render a gun out of proof as it can be rectified with out affecting proof status .

How it is rectified is another matter and bodge jobs as seen on American YouTube videos are in my opinion not acceptable .

On 02/07/2018 at 07:41, Old farrier said:

It’s worn out 

have it redone properly or walk away 

just cant understand why people expect gunsmiths to work for nothing 

theres a lot of skill involved in rejointing a action 

There’s a man that knows what he’s talking about 

On 02/07/2018 at 10:56, Brad93 said:

Sure wabbitbosher must have something suitable 

@wabbitbosher

We’ve got side by sides here from £25 

Couple of years ago I went to have a look at an "English" side-by-side for sale not far from where I live. Upon inspection it turned out that the gun was off the face and both the top and bottom ribs were loose. And to top it all it wasn't an English gun, it was a Scottish maker.

Apparently he had bought it off someone on Pigeonwatch !!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Graham M said:

Couple of years ago I went to have a look at an "English" side-by-side for sale not far from where I live. Upon inspection it turned out that the gun was off the face and both the top and bottom ribs were loose. And to top it all it wasn't an English gun, it was a Scottish maker.

Apparently he had bought it off someone on Pigeonwatch !!!!!!!!

STILL BE MADE IN BIRMINGHAM.

You misunderstand me guzzi. I simply meant that ALL of the facts that were given about the gun when it was sold were incorrect. 

eg; Tight (off the face), solid (loose ribs), English gun (Charles Ingram......so I don't think it was made in Brum) etc

Nothing to do with who made the gun, just incorrect info in order to sell it. The lad who wanted to sell it on was a bit disappointed with it and wanted shot of it, but when I went through it and gave him the bad news he was more than a little miffed.

1 minute ago, Graham M said:

You misunderstand me guzzi. I simply meant that ALL of the facts that were given about the gun when it was sold were incorrect. 

eg; Tight (off the face), solid (loose ribs), English gun (Charles Ingram......so I don't think it was made in Brum) etc

Nothing to do with who made the gun, just incorrect info in order to sell it. The lad who wanted to sell it on was a bit disappointed with it and wanted shot of it, but when I went through it and gave him the bad news he was more than a little miffed.

Yes sellers can have rose tinted specs,I was with a mate years ago & his pal showed him his pride & joy a damascus 16 Bore hammer gun, when he left the room (I smoked at the time ) I blew a lungful of smoke down the muzzle, It  drifted out at the face, down the barrels etc.