Loose on face.

redial

8 hours ago, guzzicat said:

Yes sellers can have rose tinted specs,I was with a mate years ago & his pal showed him his pride & joy a damascus 16 Bore hammer gun, when he left the room (I smoked at the time ) I blew a lungful of smoke down the muzzle, It  drifted out at the face, down the barrels etc.  

Always nervous when someone describes something as" mint"! This is of course in the eye of the beholder , in practice its more like Wriggly's as in well chewed or Polo , has a hole in it.

On 02/07/2018 at 07:41, Old farrier said:

It’s worn out 

have it redone properly or walk away 

just cant understand why people expect gunsmiths to work for nothing 

theres a lot of skill involved in rejointing a action 

?

On 05/07/2018 at 11:18, Fil said:

?

There is a trader in xxxxxxxxxxx who regularly advertises guns on Guntrader stating "may be out of proof"   or with dents so for repair  only  very risky... i dont understand why you would risk your rfd or someones life for a few quid ....maybe they dont know the law.

Edited by holloway
Not sure if i should have named the area

1 hour ago, holloway said:

There is a trader in xxxxxxxxxxx who regularly advertises guns on Guntrader stating "may be out of proof"   or with dents so for repair  only  very risky... i dont understand why you would risk your rfd or someones life for a few quid ....maybe they dont know the law.

The guy is breaking the law if he offers a gun for sale that may be out of proof,

Guntrader may also be on dodgy ground posting an ad like this .If I knew who it was I would report it to the Proof house .

20 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I still think the seller would be liable and I am surprise that Guntrader let the ads run.

No one should be selling a gun without knowing its proof status - ever.  You might end up in court - and very probably with a large fine.

If a gunsmith/RFD/the proof house measures a gun for you and it is out of proof, options for reproof and/or repair/legal disposal can be discussed with an RFD.

Equally - anyone buying a gun would be very foolish to buy without knowing the proof status because a gun pitted or dented and on the verge of being out of proof may be beyond any economical repair, and so effectively be near valueless.

It may be possible (it certainly used to be)  to sell "stock action and forend" as above and transfer to an RFD for further work such as rebarrelling, sleeving, or repairs followed by reproof.  This was how older guns used to be taken in part ex/sold/handed to an RFD from an estate, moved within the trade and and sleeved then reproofed.  I have a couple of old guns that have probably followed that path.

Edited by JohnfromUK

23 hours ago, Gunman said:

The guy is breaking the law if he offers a gun for sale that may be out of proof,

Guntrader may also be on dodgy ground posting an ad like this .If I knew who it was I would report it to the Proof house .

We both know he is breaking the law Gunman. You and I have spent a long time in our trade doing what we do.

Sadly all someone needs to do these days is convince the police that they have a need for an rfd certificate and they get free reign to tear into someones gun not knowing a thing about what they are doing. Also the in my experience the police neither the proof house will do anything about it. That is a fact. I have reported two or three "dealers" for proof offences and one blatantly trading off his shotgun licence. The police on that one said they will continue to monitor him ?????? He has just had his licence renewed! And still they buried there head in the sand when I complained again. He deals out of a garden shed and I am telling the truth. I also have reported a couple of times or more to the proof house (both) about out of proof guns being sold that came in for strip and clean. The says oh, I just bought that. And they say ummmmm, we'll make a note of it. Ummmmmm it's difficult to prove...?? One day it'll literally blow up and the whole trade will all suffer.

18 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

You used to be able to sell the "Stock, action and forend" only ....... and the barrels could conditionally be made available (i.e transferred RFD to RFD) direct to an RFD for sleeving/repair.  I don't know if that can be done now.

Not sure, but guns bought at auction with out of proof barrels are sold to dealers only as stock action and fore end only. If the dealer wants the barrels for sleeving them then the auction house must "chip" the barrels. IE cut a slot in the barrels around 6 inches from the face as per regulations. 

On 08/07/2018 at 09:35, holloway said:

PM me the dealers name. I'll shop him.

Not sure why you tagged me though. Do I know them?

15 minutes ago, Fil said:

Not sure, but guns bought at auction with out of proof barrels are sold to dealers only as stock action and fore end only. If the dealer wants the barrels for sleeving them then the auction house must "chip" the barrels. IE cut a slot in the barrels around 6 inches from the face as per regulations.

OK, it used (30 years ago) to be common to see in (reputable) auction catalogues that it was "stock, action and forend" only - and a note to say that the barrels would be 'conditionally made available' to an RFD.  That 'conditionally' may well have been a cut.  I have never been an RFD, so what the conditionally meant didn't greatly concern me. 

It seems to me that it is a sound idea that there is some legal controlled way for out of proof guns to change hands.  Older quality guns out of proof can then have 'a new life' either by reproof, or sleeving/other repair and reproof done by the right people in the trade.