Puppy howling

Lloyd90

We were lucky enough to pickup our new puppy today and get him home for his first day :) 

hes very different from the one we had a few weeks back - very shy to begin and atm wants to be best to you all the time, the other one was off exploring the house right away whilst this one is building his confidence. 

Unfortunately they also differ in that the last one settled in his crate after 10 mins, which this wee man has been absolutely screaming the house down for 2+ house straight!! 

I didn’t think he even had it in him!! 

The crate is huge (easy fits a full grown lab). It has a large bed with some vet bed from his kennel in it, a ticking clock under the bed and in the other half a small bowl of water (it’s boiling hot here this week) and a puppy pad of he needs to go toilet. 

The last one even at 8 weeks manager to go all night even from day 1 without going toilet in the crate and always went first thing in the morning. 

Now after 2 hours of non-stop screaming she’s googling and it’s saying to go let him out every 3-4 hours and he’s not big enough to last all night until 12 weeks. 

Ive told her absolutely no way, DO NOT go down as he will scream twice as badly next time. 

Even worst she’s for the bedroom door open to “hear if he’s ok” ... all you can do is hear him howling even worse ?‍♂️

Am I right to leave him over night? 

One thing is for certain and that is you must agree a management regime between you and your partner and stick to it. There is no point in one of you letting him scream if the other goes down to him at the first whimper.

Try putting a bone in or change the clock for a radio on low , you go to to stop the howling the dogs won and it will only get worse , when we draw up in the car one of mine yelps as she hears the car the wife rushes in to let her out and she her i leave her twenty thirty minutes so theres no reward for the yelp  

I put a dog safe soft toy in the crate around same size as the puppy as it gives them something to snuggle with.

Not had a peep right from the first night from our new pup at 8 weeks. He has a small enclosed crate with vet bed in the bottom. Last trip out at about 23:00 wakes around 6:00.  Only had one wet bed in 11 days on the second morning and that was my fault as I didn't hear him wake and cry to go out. No drinks overnight, but we have air con running as needed. House training coming along nicely now as he is starting to go to the door and ask to go out.

He is a jack russel of uncertain heritage, otherwise known as a "wee brown dog"

Img_0630a.jpg

IMG_0637.JPG

Edited by loriusgarrulus

When my spaniel was a pup the first night he howled. So let him out. An hour later the same thing after that I went and bashed the cage with my hand. Just enough to make some noise but not to scare the carp out of him. But gave him no contact at all. Hes been perfect ever since. 

For the first 2 nights I moved the crate into the kitchen and covered the crate with a blanket (still do at night) and a slept next to it on a camp bed so the pup could smell me; and listen to my loud snoring.

Night 3 the dog told me to **** off :lol:

No problems at all since then.

4 minutes ago, jif said:

For the first 2 nights I moved the crate into the kitchen and covered the crate with a blanket (still do at night) and a slept next to it on a camp bed so the pup could smell me; and listen to my loud snoring.

Night 3 the dog told me to **** off :lol:

No problems at all since then.

No one went down thank god but I might stay close by to the poor ****** for a night or two. 

Hes very timid so far so probably a bit needier than normal. 

I left him alone loose in the kitchen for 15 mins this morning and he started to explore for a bit then proceeded to howl for a long 10 mins before taking himself outside. 

Certainly doesn’t like being left alone! 

7 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

I put a dog safe soft toy in the crate around same size as the puppy as it gives them something to snuggle with.

Not had a peep right from the first night from our new pup at 8 weeks. He has a small enclosed crate with vet bed in the bottom. Last trip out at about 23:00 wakes around 6:00.  Only had one wet bed in 11 days on the second morning and that was my fault as I didn't hear him wake and cry to go out. No drinks overnight, but we have air con running as needed. House training coming along nicely now as he is starting to go to the door and ask to go out.

He is a jack russel of uncertain heritage, otherwise known as a "wee brown dog"

Img_0630a.jpg

IMG_0637.JPG

Cracking little dog, give him a hug from me.

Night 2 he had about an hour before he started howling but it wasn’t as bad as the first night  ... 

Night 3 he slept for about 4 hours and then howled a bit ... 

keeping him downstairs in the kitchen atm and keep coming and going so he gets used to being left but then knows we come back. 

Initially he howled for ages but he is getting better and more confident and isn’t as bad now when we leave him for a short while. 

Hoping to keep building him up! :) 

I have always done the same thing with my spaniels go down every two hours and let them out never use a puppy pad get the dog used to going out from day one that way you can praise them when they go for a mess 

slowly build the time up between letting the dog out and they soon get it  

it's hard work for about a week but I have always found its done properly then 

9 hours ago, cwmmawr said:

I have always done the same thing with my spaniels go down every two hours and let them out never use a puppy pad get the dog used to going out from day one that way you can praise them when they go for a mess 

slowly build the time up between letting the dog out and they soon get it  

it's hard work for about a week but I have always found its done properly then 

Do you leave them shut in the crate during that time then? 

Yes in the crate -the key I found with mine is by letting them out at two hour intervals they will normally go and relieve themselves so you are ideally placed to praise etc at the point of them going this way they get the message early on -pads just prolong things it gives the message that you can go inside in some places but not others

You will have accidents as well but the message gets through and you can start increasing the time gap after a few days you will be able to extend the gaps as the dog gets used to holding on

As regards the howling just don't go in if its attention seeking even if it's quiet for 30 secs go in then but remember as the dogs gets better it may be crying to go out and mess so you got to be careful

WIthin a week to ten days is normally when you start to see the dog get better it feels longer because your up and down with it all the time 

during the day it's a mixture of bit of play and then in the crate it's useful when they go a bit manic to have the crate but I don't over use during the day after a  while I put my crate away and replace with normal basket

only the way I have always done it there will be other ways that have worked for others I'm sure and as others have mentioned you always get the odd pup that goes off to sleep easy and never messes 

Edited by cwmmawr

8 hours ago, cwmmawr said:

Yes in the crate -the key I found with mine is by letting them out at two hour intervals they will normally go and relieve themselves so you are ideally placed to praise etc at the point of them going this way they get the message early on -pads just prolong things it gives the message that you can go inside in some places but not others

You will have accidents as well but the message gets through and you can start increasing the time gap after a few days you will be able to extend the gaps as the dog gets used to holding on

As regards the howling just don't go in if its attention seeking even if it's quiet for 30 secs go in then but remember as the dogs gets better it may be crying to go out and mess so you got to be careful

WIthin a week to ten days is normally when you start to see the dog get better it feels longer because your up and down with it all the time 

during the day it's a mixture of bit of play and then in the crate it's useful when they go a bit manic to have the crate but I don't over use during the day after a  while I put my crate away and replace with normal basket

only the way I have always done it there will be other ways that have worked for others I'm sure and as others have mentioned you always get the odd pup that goes off to sleep easy and never messes 

My pup that had to go back settled first night within 10 minutes and slept through all night from day 1 ? 

This one howls something terrible but he’s getting much better. 

ATM we have the crate door open as the first night he was very distressed in there pacing up and down and howling. 

He doesn’t like being left and we are trying to build it up, often when you leave he will pee and rarely poop just after being left - even if he’s had a pee 2 minutes before outside. 

I know it’s likely the stress/anxiety of being left, just not sure how to make him feel better. He’s very clingy, even when meals are put down he will walk away from them if you leave the room and cry for you for a bit ?

My lurcher pup was a pain and we have neighbours so couldn't just let him get on with it. So over a period of two weeks I slept on the settee with the crate in front of me and slowly moved it back then after a while i started sneaking up stairs. Also help was not letting him sleep at all in the evenings so he was whacked. I think that was key. Every time he started nodding off i popped in yard for fresh air. Got there in the end but it wasn't easy 

Edited by captainhastings

22 hours ago, Hendrix's rifle said:

What happened to the other pup mate? Our springer pup is 14 weeks old now, I found that mentally stimulating her then sneaking upstairs did the trick, shame she learnt the stairs so quickly. Got into a routine and she's good as gold now even though I'm trying to catch up on sleep! 

Had a urethrorectal fistula. Vet could do an OP to fix for around £4,000, it but told us very likely to have other health problems such as bad kidneys, heart etc, could take it out working and it drop dead! 

Took him back to the breeder who was sound and gave us our money back, still cost us a few quid in vets fees tho. 

Waited a few weeks and got another one. 

Not a nice experience I must say. 

4 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Had a urethrorectal fistula. Vet could do an OP to fix for around £4,000, it but told us very likely to have other health problems such as bad kidneys, heart etc, could take it out working and it drop dead! 

Took him back to the breeder who was sound and gave us our money back, still cost us a few quid in vets fees tho. 

Waited a few weeks and got another one. 

Not a nice experience I must say. 

Gutted for you mate, would it not have been easier putting it down? Doesn't sound like a great quality of life, I understand it's a bit more difficult than that mind. Hope the pup has quietened down for you! I think I've followed you on Instagram and the new pup is rather cute 

6 hours ago, Hendrix's rifle said:

Gutted for you mate, would it not have been easier putting it down? Doesn't sound like a great quality of life, I understand it's a bit more difficult than that mind. Hope the pup has quietened down for you! I think I've followed you on Instagram and the new pup is rather cute 

I took him back to the breeder and got my money back mate! The breeder had a great vet who worked with gundogs a lot, apparently the vet gave him the OP and the vet kept him as a pet ... 

My Mrs is very happy with that story mate so I’m not asking too many questions ... 

whats your insta? New pup is a cracker :) miss the old one he was lovely but gotta move on and the new one showing good potential :)