Most bizzare job you've had

ditchman

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Security at a hospital, spent a lot of time waiting with patients who were under section for transport to become available, sometimes it was days. 

I was often called to a “viewing” where people had died under suspicious circumstances but the family believed the soul would leave the body & it had to be home with family within a certain amount of time. My job was to stop them stealing said body and/or dancing around with it above their heads. 

Flashing their boobs was a common tactic of distraction but under the circastamces it never did it for me ?

Also once had a modelling job where I had to be dressed as a geek & pose with a mannequin for a German film promotion, it even made one of those viral countdowns “Geeks with Hot chicks” ??‍♂️

Edited by jerico

Been an extra in a couple of films here, in the Isle of Harris,  a full time pheasant plucker for Ben Rigby in Essex, deep sea fisherman, [Lowestoft.] Sheep shearer W Australia, Morgue porter, which included occasionally laying out the bodies to be viewed by the family...? 

I remember being given a job as a youngster, spreading sacks of horse**** between rows of commercial trees by hand. If that wasn't bad enough, the fertilizer sacks of **** had been left open and exposed to the elements, so were filled to the brim with water. Plus the UV light had made many of the bags go brittle and fall to bits when you picked them up. There was no wheel barrow and you had to carry them 100 yds to the job. So it was over the shoulder with them, on the side of a hill in boiling hot weather. I contracted some sort of unusual skin disease - I got these terrible deep weeping sores on my face and neck, that mystified the quack at the time. Might have some pics somewhere.

Not so sure its good for your career, doing jobs like that as an impressionable youngster, as you get broken into doing horrendous tasks...........

Edited by morgan

The actor Kenneth More ,s first "show business" job was as a ****** spotter in the windmill theatre, his autobiography is well worth a read. & his sideline selling showgirls used  underwear to "Stage door Johnies" ( he bought at Woolworths.)

Edited by guzzicat

I had to take an evening job to make ends meet. Spring maker by day then of an evening I did a bit of turning. My main task was turn a taper on some wooden handles, and radius the ends.

One day I asked what the handles were actually used for, to my surprise they were being leather bound during the day shift then sold by Ann summers as whips!!!! That made the job a little more interesting!!

16 hours ago, DUNKS said:

As kids we used to get a week off school for mangle chopping or tata picking. Backbreaking work even for the young.

Yes, I did potato picking at a very early age - 5 or 6, certainly less than 7 years old.

I seem to remember that I earned a shilling, but my big brother earned 2/6d. 

I was much aggrieved

Like many of the yoof in Kettering I made bubblewrap. I did it for 8 months, diligently learning the art of co-extrusion (and once losing the wooden prodder in the plastic recycling machine).

IIRC there was a cage about the size of a basketball court into which all the scraps and offcuts went, and, by the end of the week, it was effectively a gigantic bouncy castle for those brave enough to scale the sides and leap in! Terrifying.

I then worked for the Queen’s robemakers for well over a decade. Mostly spent helping middle aged men into tights!

LS

50 minutes ago, lord_seagrave said:

Like many of the yoof in Kettering I made bubblewrap. I did it for 8 months, diligently learning the art of co-extrusion (and once losing the wooden prodder in the plastic recycling machine).

IIRC there was a cage about the size of a basketball court into which all the scraps and offcuts went, and, by the end of the week, it was effectively a gigantic bouncy castle for those brave enough to scale the sides and leap in! Terrifying.

I then worked for the Queen’s robemakers for well over a decade. Mostly spent helping middle aged men into tights!

LS

i bet they all smelled of wee and lavender.........