Jump to content

    Recommended Posts

    Does anyone shoot on here on the regular? 

    Me and Mrs farmboy normally shoot at high lodge Saxmundham but fancy a change this weekend + eriswell is a bit closer. 

    Any opinions good or bad greatly appreciated. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    35 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

    It's good. Try and go when they don't have any events booked or upcoming. 

    Thanks, I'll check the website again later too see. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    7 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

    It is a great place with plenty of stands throwing good targets. The hospitality is very good too.

    Looking forward to my visit.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I've not been recently but the last couple of visits i've liked the fact that they've change the layouts and were still creating more stands. Certainly giving the impression that a lot of effort is being put in to returning it to what it used to be!

    As much as i enjoy visiting high lodge i do find it quite samey.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Eriswell is excellent. Great range of stands, lovely staff, good food. If the game area is set up you can have a spur of the moment flush by pressing lots of buttons at once.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    7 hours ago, decoy1979 said:

    I've not been recently but the last couple of visits i've liked the fact that they've change the layouts and were still creating more stands. Certainly giving the impression that a lot of effort is being put in to returning it to what it used to be!

    As much as i enjoy visiting high lodge i do find it quite samey.

    Yeah don't get me wrong the pair of us really like high lodge, I like that fact there's a decent amount of stands in the wooded area so I can actually see the clays, when the sun's out the ones that face the high Bank are unusable for me. 

     

    6 hours ago, ehb102 said:

    Eriswell is excellent. Great range of stands, lovely staff, good food. If the game area is set up you can have a spur of the moment flush by pressing lots of buttons at once.

    That sounds like good fun lol

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 03/07/2018 at 05:20, Farmboy91 said:

    Yeah don't get me wrong the pair of us really like high lodge, I like that fact there's a decent amount of stands in the wooded area so I can actually see the clays, when the sun's out the ones that face the high Bank are unusable for me. 

     

    That sounds like good fun lol

    It can get expensive! That's how I was taught game shooting. Brilliant lesson, but the clay bill was horrendous. Best to stick to four birds for two people ?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, ehb102 said:

    It can get expensive! That's how I was taught game shooting. Brilliant lesson, but the clay bill was horrendous. Best to stick to four birds for two people ?

    To be honest we normally only go once every other month so I dont mind paying that bit extra, + I could use the practice ? 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I like this ground, good layout and various disciplines available although quite open so the wind cuts through the ground quite a bit.

    High Lodge is really nice, wooded, great stands etc and multiple clays on each (up to 7 on one), if you haven't tried it i would suggest going and having a look.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    13 hours ago, Romes said:

    I like this ground, good layout and various disciplines available although quite open so the wind cuts through the ground quite a bit.

    High Lodge is really nice, wooded, great stands etc and multiple clays on each (up to 7 on one), if you haven't tried it i would suggest going and having a look.

    Yeah we normally shoot at high lodge but it's a 100 mile round trip, we did eriswell, it was OK wasn't overly impressed though to be honest. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    7 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

    Yeah we normally shoot at high lodge but it's a 100 mile round trip, we did eriswell, it was OK wasn't overly impressed though to be honest. 

    Really, what was the problem?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    It's not as nicely put together as high lodge but the stands are good.

    There is a ground at woolpit too, haven't been but heard some good things.... It's in my list to have a nosey round.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Farmboy91 said:

    Yeah we normally shoot at high lodge but it's a 100 mile round trip, we did eriswell, it was OK wasn't overly impressed though to be honest. 

     

    1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

    Really, what was the problem?

     

    53 minutes ago, Romes said:

    It's not as nicely put together as high lodge but the stands are good.

    There is a ground at woolpit too, haven't been but heard some good things.... It's in my list to have a nosey round.

    I think you have to allow for the fact that Eriswell lodge is a work in progress, it was a wonderful skeet venue when owned by the USAF. Peter Usher took it over and did very little with it apart from add a few more sporting stands. Now the new owners have set out on a long process of trying to please everyone. You can go and shoot some beginners stands or you can shoot intermediate targets and there are so many stands you will never get bored. Take your chokes and 200 cartridges and walk the length of the ground, there are some superb presentations and when instructing you can compose a testing little shoot. I have a round trip of over 140 miles and think t is well worth it. 

    Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
    Syntax

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, Romes said:

    It's not as nicely put together as high lodge but the stands are good.

    There is a ground at woolpit too, haven't been but heard some good things.... It's in my list to have a nosey round.

    This, I'm not saying it's bad I just felt high lodge is layed out better + alot of the stands are in the trees so there's plenty of shade

     

    3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

     

     

    I think you have to allow for the fact that Eriswell lodge is a work in progress, it was a wonderful skeet venue when owned by the USAF. Peter Usher took it over and did very little with it apart from add a few more sporting stands. Now the new owners have set out on a long process of trying to please everyone. You can go and shoot some beginners stands or you can shoot intermediate targets and there are so many stands you will never get bored. Take your chokes and 200 cartridges and walk the length of the ground, there are some superb presentations and when instructing you can compose a testing little shoot. I have a round trip of over 140 miles and think t is well worth it. 

    Don't get me wrong I get that they are still sorting the place out, I think I'll head up that way again on Christmas when I have a couple weeks off and give it another try. 

    The one mentioned at woolpit is at badwell Ash, a bloke I work with used to shoot there regularly and said its well worth going to, don't suppose either of you have been to the one wattisham Air base? 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I've been to most over the years, only just getting back in to shooting competitions since the 1990s.

    I am very lucky to have Eriswell, Cambridge, Sporting Targets and Grimsthorpe all within reach, I am keen to see if any money is spent on Kibworth since it changed hands.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    There all a bit far out for me really,+ with the cost of the day there for the 2 of us + carts it's not cheap lucky if we go every other month. 

    Keen to try badwell Ash out as I'm pretty sure it's only 50 birds and reasonably cheap. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    10 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

    There all a bit far out for me really,+ with the cost of the day there for the 2 of us + carts it's not cheap lucky if we go every other month. 

    Keen to try badwell Ash out as I'm pretty sure it's only 50 birds and reasonably cheap. 

    Clay shooting has never been a cheap sport, but you only improve if you shoot a variety of grounds. We shoot a friendly 50 birder every fortnight. It's only a 10 minute drive and is great fun.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

    Clay shooting has never been a cheap sport, but you only improve if you shoot a variety of grounds. We shoot a friendly 50 birder every fortnight. It's only a 10 minute drive and is great fun.

    No I know, I can't and won't complain as I've got 3 perms including my own garden right outside my back do so I can rough shoot whenever I please, nice to be able to do clays so the missus can come. 

    I'm hoping to be able to get in to the one a wattisham if it's still about as that's less than 10 miles from home. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 16/08/2018 at 09:05, TIGHTCHOKE said:

     

     

    I think you have to allow for the fact that Eriswell lodge is a work in progress, it was a wonderful skeet venue when owned by the USAF. Peter Usher took it over and did very little with it apart from add a few more sporting stands. Now the new owners have set out on a long process of trying to please everyone. You can go and shoot some beginners stands or you can shoot intermediate targets and there are so many stands you will never get bored. Take your chokes and 200 cartridges and walk the length of the ground, there are some superb presentations and when instructing you can compose a testing little shoot. I have a round trip of over 140 miles and think t is well worth it. 

    Agree and the longer they are open the more established it will get. They are still a newish ground. The range of stages is good and the ground has a lot more to give.

    It's my local ground as only 20 mins up the road, i will be there next Sat trying to hit clays :)

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×