Is it time for the "sin bin" in football?

Bobba

I'm not much of a follower of football but have been watching some of the World Cup.

It seems to me that when a player commits a foul attracting a yellow card that the player nor his team suffer any immediate disadvantage. Equally the team fouled against gains no immediate advantage of the yellow card incurred by the opposition.

From what I have seen the World Cup has had a fair share of yellow cards. This causes me to think that perhaps the time is ripe for the introduction of the sin bin to football and that for a foul which attracts a yellow card  the player is sent off for ten minutes. In this way there is an immediate impact as that players team is down to 10 men and any further yellow card would reduce them to 9. Now that concentrates the mind and helps keep the game clean.

It's tempting, but I'm not sure it'd have a genuinely positive impact on the game. The trouble is a sin bin works in rugby because it's a lot easier for a team to keep the ball, recycle it and build scoring possibilities. That's not true of football. A team with 10 in football can waste time far easier than a team with 14 can in Union. Keep the ball at the back, boot it up the field, slow throw ins, the odd niggly (but not cardable) foul here and there and ten minutes is gone in a flash. Then you're left with fans watching rubbish football for ten mins. a 1 player advantage generally needs more time to play out than 10 mins.

The only exception might be for simulation. I loathe that side of football with every fibre of my being. Or have Sarah Pascoe's suggestion. a 'Free Kick' doesn't have to be used by kicking the ball...

5 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Agreed, and in the case of a rolling player and no foul the "actor" is placed in the bin.

That's more of a problem to my mind. Some appalling theatricals from players who just get the merest tap, if indeed they are actually touched at all!

That and the endless time wasting passing the ball around for no purpose has made professional football not really worth watching for me, it really turns me right off.

It doesn't happen in womens football, if they get bowled over by a tackle they just get up and carry on, and they spend most of the game actively attacking.  

24 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Agreed, and in the case of a rolling player and no foul the "actor" is placed in the bin.

This. With VAR or whatever it's called it should be easy enough to see suspected fouls for what they are. Some roll over as if they've just launched themselves from a moving train. Pathetic. 

I can't understand the mentality of some; are they so stupid they don't realise we are often watching their theatricals in slow motion again and again! If it's such an integral part of the game to the extent its not only accepted but expected, then it's time it was stopped. 

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

That's more of a problem to my mind. Some appalling theatricals from players who just get the merest tap, if indeed they are actually touched at all!

That and the endless time wasting passing the ball around for no purpose has made professional football not really worth watching for me, it really turns me right off.

It doesn't happen in womens football, if they get bowled over by a tackle they just get up and carry on, and they spend most of the game actively attacking.  

I think I married one of those  ! 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

This. With VAR or whatever it's called it should be easy enough to see suspected fouls for what they are. Some roll over as if they've just launched themselves from a moving train. Pathetic. 

I can't understand the mentality of some; are they so stupid they don't realise we are often watching their theatricals in slow motion again and again! If it's such an integral part of the game to the extent its not only accepted but expected, then it's time it was stopped. 

Most have very limited intellect  !

I watched that shocking display yesterday.

I think something like a sin bin, but call it a 'health and fitness assessment'. Basically it can be ordered by the referee if he deems it necessary (which will be based on the players reaction...) and the player is immediately removed from the field for the assessment that should take no less than 5 minutes.  

Easy sell as a 'player welfare' initiative. Won't be bad for those genuinely injured. Clubs investment in a player is further protected so players don't carry on playing with genuine injuries. Time off the field is too short to bring the game down with negative play, but long enough that it discourages play acting.   

Fitba is a real joke nowadays, and played by a big bunch of cheating jessies.

I used to travel to a lot of international games but would hardly open the curtains to watch a game now, the bosses really dont care about the fans anymore and everything's about money.

Fitba should go back to how it used to be, almost all games played at 3pm on a sat, the the fans know wot there doing nd frees up sundays for work/playing fitba or families/kids. Nowadays ur team can be playing almost anytime froma fri-mon nite, which is nt fair on travelling fansd esp kids or working men.

The problem u have now/recetly is players are now actually trying to con the ref's at every opportunity.

It's ot fair on the ref's to make the right calls all the time when players are deliberterly trying to decieve them. Ref's have  hard enough job without players actively trying to decieve them

I think the only way to clean up the game is have a panel of ex pro's, refs etc who sit down and watch games/incidents later purely to try and stop divers/cheaters if they think u have dived decent fine and banned for a few games.

Even talking back to ref's should result in a big fine, u don't see it in many other sports. In my youth i'd never dream of argueing let alone swearing at a ref (if we swore on pitch at youth fitba our manager would ******* us, funny he didn't mind the odd punch up thou)

I wonder how these pantomime dames would have survived in the era of Norman Hunter, Dave McKay, Tommy Smith, Ron Harris and more.

Dennis Smith was Stoke City's centre half in the early 1970s. He had broken his leg a couple of times. In one game, he approached the referee and said he would need to leave the field as he had just broken his leg again. A hard lad, who could also play a bit.

2 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I wonder how these pantomime dames would have survived in the era of Norman Hunter, Dave McKay, Tommy Smith, Ron Harris and more.

Dennis Smith was Stoke City's centre half in the early 1970s. He had broken his leg a couple of times. In one game, he approached the referee and said he would need to leave the field as he had just broken his leg again. A hard lad, who could also play a bit.

You must have all seen George Best dribble the length of the pitch, being tackled by just about all of the opposition, he falls a few times gets up carry's on through through the rest of the players and scores. You have NO chance of seeing that type of player this century. 

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

You must have all seen George Best dribble the length of the pitch, being tackled by just about all of the opposition, he falls a few times gets up carry's on through through the rest of the players and scores. You have NO chance of seeing that type of player this century. 

Maybe Messi, he rides an awful lot of tackles which makes him the player he is.

43 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Maybe Messi, he rides an awful lot of tackles which makes him the player he is.

Never heard of him, and thats because I have No interest in the business sport since the days of old when it was just a sport. But you pick one player out of how many ? Just goes to show doesn't it.