csb5 for 20 bore

any of you homeloading gurus out there have any knowledge re csb5 for 20 bore ,,, fes used to have a load but tis no longer on their website  thinking of 3/4--7/8 oz loads .have a tub of this powder for the 12 ,,but could I use this until a tub of csb3 arrives ??? cheers

Guest cookoff013

without being to over generalised, it is too quick a burn rate for any decent speed 20 gauge shell.

if you did find any data it probably would be 21g loads and "not fast."
there are loads around for AS and 20gauge, the AS and csb5 are quite similar in performance / burnrate.

if you can wait, get the right powder. 

if you cant, ask everywhere for solid data, not guess work. dont jump the gun with this

5 hours ago, cookoff013 said:

without being to over generalised, it is too quick a burn rate for any decent speed 20 gauge shell.

if you did find any data it probably would be 21g loads and "not fast."
there are loads around for AS and 20gauge, the AS and csb5 are quite similar in performance / burnrate.

if you can wait, get the right powder. 

if you cant, ask everywhere for solid data, not guess work. dont jump the gun with this

I load only 20 bore and I can only agree to what cook said. The only thing is that using a weak primer (cx50) you could probably push to 23g but will be slower than average

Guest cookoff013

there was a great thread in another reloading forum where reddot powder was used to create some absolutely economic 20gauge reloads. all pressure tested and anaylsed.

the key with this subject of using a powder that is too fast is to get the load tested. thats the only way to make sure.

You're right, anything and everything can be done....even 28 g with Tecna is achievable - even though the minimum for the powder is 30 g in 20 bore-  but for me the most important think is the PSP test:

- pressure: Is it right for the load (i.e. 850 bar for 21 g is way too high) 

- speed: have i got enough to generate a clean kill at the distance i want to shot at

- pattern: do i put enough pellets in the circle to generate a clean kill at the distance i shoot at

as you know ... all my loads are proofed or i wouldn't give it out ; the only reason why i didn't post the recipe with 23 g is because i can't find the certificates ?

Guest cookoff013

thats pretty simple, 

its not without criticism, but its fair.

my criteria is essentially clean small efficient.

there is maxam recipe for 28 gauge with csb5 and its not too far from a starting point in 20gauge. but i certainly would advise having a good think and test at a reputable lab. 

On 02/07/2018 at 16:47, spot on said:

any of you homeloading gurus out there have any knowledge re csb5 for 20 bore ,,, fes used to have a load but tis no longer on their website  thinking of 3/4--7/8 oz loads .have a tub of this powder for the 12 ,,but could I use this until a tub of csb3 arrives  cheers

616 primer 14gn csb5 4mm nitro 24mm felt 21gm lead. That's the load that was on fes site cheap cheerful brakes clays sometimes ?

Edited by pestcontrol1

Guest cookoff013
6 hours ago, pestcontrol1 said:

616 primer 14gn csb5 4mm nitro 24mm felt 21gm lead. That's the load that was on fes site cheap cheerful brakes clays sometimes ?

yes this is the kind of data that uses a relatively fast powder in smaller gauge.

as there is no pressure data here, i certainly would consider this as maximum and is about right for the gauge and hull used.

here is a tip, with such a small powder charge, any change such as reduction would severely affect speed, and of course an increase would do the same, dramatically increase pressures, that you cant evaluate when shooting in a sporter at clays.

nb.
good luck-looks like a cute load. and for the 24mm height, would be 2x 12mm, that would add an extra £25 / 1000 but you would have saved £30 in powder and shot, (21g).

just got a beam scale "didn't trust the electric scale I use for weighing coins" checked my powder throw weight 13.8 grains not too bad ..the shot bushing at 7/8 throws 22.5 grms  at seven and a half size ..fettled the bush to throw a tad below 20 grms now..just to be on the safe side..all else is as per PESTCONROL,s post..i did shoot a 40 bird sporting charity event several weeks ago using 14 grns behind 22.grms all seemed ok but to err on the safe side I will use the "modified" loading until the csb3 arrives ..I think the shot bushing was throwing over weight because the smaller shot size provided more bulk ie less airspace surrounding the pellets than would have been if larger shot were used

Guest cookoff013

nb i think this is a 70mm hull.
and your 7/8oz lead shot bushing is dropping light, i would have expected 25grams atleast.

if the load work well it is slightly more economic on powder, 1 kg would do more than 1100shells.

obtained a couple of ct 20s last night according to the eley specs ct20 21grm felt is powered by csb5 ,,broke 2 down this morning the charges weighed in at 14.5+14.6 so my load aint that far out ..tried 2 over the barley yesterday ..first as a scarer ,,2nd at a cushtie …....result it really made it fly a bit faster I am sure it did :cry1: