How will brexit effect shooting in the UK

29 minutes ago, Scully said:

Surely any monies received by UK farmers from the EU, is already our own money? We pay it to the EU and they decide how much of it we get back?

Course it is, anser seems to think that CAP and other subsidies will end as soon as we are out.
No such thing will happen, the government needs the farmers onside , and once we are free from EU quotas, they will be able to produce what they want, and sell to who they want.
Brexit will give UK farmers increased scope and profitability, especially if the EU try to hit us with tariffs on imported food.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Course it is, anser seems to think that CAP and other subsidies will end as soon as we are out.
No such thing will happen, the government needs the farmers onside , and once we are free from EU quotas, they will be able to produce what they want, and sell to who they want.
Brexit will give UK farmers increased scope and profitability, especially if the EU try to hit us with tariffs on imported food.

Yep prices will be higher. 

22 minutes ago, oowee said:

Yep prices will be higher. 

Possibly, in the short term.

But let's try and think about this in an unbiased way.

A UK supermarket buys tomatoes from Spain, it pays 50 p a kilo, for the sake of argument, and sells at £1 a kilo.

Brexit goes hard, really hard, each way food tariffs at ansers magic 22% or whatever. Either the supermarket swallows the extra cost, or you pay more, or you simply don't buy them from the supermarket,  and buy from a British producer, maybe even grow your own? 

This country used to be able to easily feed itself, we dismantled our farming industry's at the behest of the EU, and paid farmers to do nothing. It's about time this changed.

Fish ,lamb, beef and poultry, even wheat and orchard fruit, the EU has forced us to be reliant upon others for our food, we can take this back now.

Cars, like  I said ,are German cars going to get more expensive? We have a choice not to buy them, Japanese, Korean and American cars are still available,  vote with your feet. How about a resurgent British motor car industry ?

The whole world wants to trade, if the EU wants to act stupid and destroy it's trade links with us via high tariffs,  let it get on with it and we'll shop somewhere else.

See what it's industry's and citizens think about that.

29 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

A UK supermarket buys tomatoes from Spain, it pays 50 p a kilo, for the sake of argument, and sells at £1 a kilo.

Brexit goes hard, really hard, each way food tariffs at ansers magic 22% or whatever. Either the supermarket swallows the extra cost, or you pay more, or you simply don't buy them from the supermarket,  and buy from a British producer, maybe even grow your own? 

This country used to be able to easily feed itself, we dismantled our farming industry's at the behest of the EU, and paid farmers to do nothing. It's about time this changed.

Fish ,lamb, beef and poultry, even wheat and orchard fruit, the EU has forced us to be reliant upon others for our food, we can take this back now.

Cars, like  I said ,are German cars going to get more expensive? We have a choice not to buy them, Japanese, Korean and American cars are still available,  vote with your feet. How about a resurgent British motor car industry ?

The whole world wants to trade, if the EU wants to act stupid and destroy it's trade links with us via high tariffs,  let it get on with it and we'll shop somewhere else.

Well said Rewulf, spot on, too many people think it’s the end of the world but there’s some of us who can remember what we had before the E U and much of it was better 

As an example. There are currently 56 different tariffs applied to a side of pork coming into the EU. These tariffs depend on where it was reared, how it was processed and the way that it's cut and packaged. The tariff delay and costs will make a stronger market for uk farmers in the UK. Good news. The market outside the uk will be more challenging but not impossible. Hopefully we still end up with good labour movement so that we can get product processed. Either way consumer choice and costs will be affected. 

Of course we have a choice not to buy the more expensive imported goods. 

Interestingly last week one farmer was planting a bumble and winter bird mix. It's in for two years to encourage wildlife and then ploughed. I can't see the conservation planting continuing in this format. If we get a basic agri deal outside of the EU we will probably agree GM. That could see our cereal production more competitive, but put pressure on Uk meat production. We can easily get cheap meat from outside the EU but do we want it? 

Guest stevo
1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Just about sums it up for me , very well put ??

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

The EU doesn't allow us to buy meat from the US, and I think only tinned meat from Argentina. The EU blocks a lot of things.

I believe you are correct. I know that we used to import a lot of Argentinian tinned corned beef, which was then sliced and repackaged.

8 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Was that not a sanction imposed from the CJD scare? 

For the US, only growth hormone beef (most of what they produce)  is banned. Non treated is allowed tariff free at about £70 a kilo. If we want a trade deal with the US we would have to allow hormone treated beef. UK farmers would no doubt have to adopt the treatment. Or try to find niche markets for organic quality ? 

Well, the ANTI Brexit brigade predicted INSTANT doom and gloom if we voted to leave, that didn't happen, quite the opposite in some areas, so why on earth is anyone worried about what happens when we actually leave?

Of course there will be ups and downs, but about 49% of the population appear to need reminding the EU needs us more than we need the EU, even after we have left!!

Edited by Dekers

2 hours ago, oowee said:

For the US, only growth hormone beef (most of what they produce)  is banned. Non treated is allowed tariff free at about £70 a kilo. If we want a trade deal with the US we would have to allow hormone treated beef. UK farmers would no doubt have to adopt the treatment. Or try to find niche markets for organic quality ? 

Is it a bad thing ?
Do we not inject steroids and water and all sorts of carp into our meat?
I tend to buy halal meat if I can, because Im sick of the amount of watery rubbish that comes out of chicken ect when cooking it.

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

If anything is going badly, the Remainers blame Brexit. If things look better, they say we haven't left yet.

Nail on the head there.

39 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I just get fed up with the constant drip, drip, drip by the prophets of doom. We are going, so why can't they get behind the country and make it better.

This.
Its a tactic to wear people down , by constantly droning on about the terrible things that are going to happen to the UK ,they hope to subliminally change the minds of the populace.
The EU seize upon this, others cultivate it and use it to make an argument for reversal.
If Brussels saw a united front from our politicians and people (pipedream I know) they would have no option but to let the process take its course, and let us go in an orderly fashion, preferably with some kind of low tariff deal.
That way it could save face, and not make itself look like the bullying cartel it actually is.

The EU talks of unity, and European identity, peace and prosperity.
Yet when democracy is enacted, close ranks, say 'we will suffer' and try to break up the UK, and threaten ours and theirs security by throwing their toys out the pram.

There is one unalienable fact in all this, it didnt have to be this way, if they had acted in a sensible way when Cameron try to renegotiate , Brexit wouldnt have happened, it would have been a narrow remain majority, I would have still voted to leave , but many wouldnt.
The sheer bloody mindedness of the Eurocrats caused Brexit.
And afterwards, the ridiculous notion that we could ignore the result, and remain !
Again, typical EU.
They could save themselves yet, and negotiate with a favourable deal for us, try and work through the Irish border and customs problems.
But their tactic is to force us to leave the table, hoping it would either cause another referendum, collapse the tory government, or if all else fails wreck the UK economy.
Well Im sorry remainers, no disrespect, but if that sounds good to you.
A. You need to take a good look at yourself.
B. Its not happening, we are better than that, and can make it work.

The EU doesnt hold our hand as we walk, it has its hand in our pocket, the one with the money in.
It time to remove it.

In my opinion, the only way things will get worse after Brexit is if people let it. 

In WW2 rationing, British calorific intake went up and so did the average age of our citizens. Brexit will just force us to adapt, overcome and prosper, the same way we have since this country began - no amount of tariffs will dampen the intellect and will of Brits. 

So many good points on this thread about tariffs - it's almost like we forget there are more countries than just the EU to trade with and they need us just as much as we need them. 

Ans2 has give me a giggle though, literally plucking figures out the air, using his 'insider knowledge of news programmes' and resorting to saying the people voting for Brexit were of low intelligence (the majority of voters in the UK? Get real - scientists, scholars, teachers and so on must have voted for Brexit based on the numbers)

Just my 2p, but I really do think things will improve because what other choice do we have.

16 hours ago, Rewulf said:

The EU puts a 10% tariff on cars from USA, Japan etc. We don't even see the money from that tariff on cars imported into this country, it goes straight to Brussels coffers. So on day one, lots of imported cars could become 10% cheaper overnight at no loss to the British Exchequer. Or more likely we revert to WTO rate of 3.8% and the cars become 6.2% cheaper and the Exchequer makes 3.8% that it didn't see before.

The EU are gangsters, people don't realise how badly we are getting turned over.

• 3 weeks later...

The Europeans are very strong in supporting shooting and in many countries, it has a stronger traditional position with the people that here in the UK. We will no longer have that support outside the EU and be at the whim of the electorate and politicians. One serious anti shooting government and we are in trouble once the restraints of the EU are gone.

There is going to be less money for environmentally friendly farming outside the EU. This is already happening as the agreements are over long time scales and with us leaving the EU will no longer back new schemes and the Uk government will not pick up all the shortfall. This will result in more intensive farming and a decline in wildlife including our game birds.

All so very very true. I view the EU, for all its faults, as a protection against the tyranny of another Thatcher or Blair Government with a massive Parliamentary majority. Not only in gun laws but also in workplace protection and etc.. 

4 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

All so very very true. I view the EU, for all its faults, as a protection against the tyranny of another Thatcher or Blair Government with a massive Parliamentary majority. Not only in gun laws but also in workplace protection and etc.. 

So you're not a fan of democracy then?

On 02/07/2018 at 19:23, panoma1 said:

Let em carry on! I bet there are many Dutch shooters who will bring their money into the UK to shoot game.......good for the UK economy/jobs post Brexit!....screw the EU and their anti shooting laws!

Why come to the UK when places like Hungary offer better value?, just a thought

16 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Thats quite funny.
You do know that if 'tyranny ' rears its head in British politics, there are instruments to have them removed from power ?
We have a good balanced democratic system in this country, not perfect, but better than many, even European countries.

The EU has none of these things, the commission elects itself, serves itself, and will bend and break the rules to feed itself.
It will threaten and cajole sovereign countries that will not bend to its will, and is constantly seeking further powers to consolidate its position as Capo regime over all of Europe.

Is this the protection you seek ?

Because you can have that 'protection'  .. but it will cost you, you could say its an offer you cant refuse..