How will brexit effect shooting in the UK

Will shooting benefit from brexit or will we suffer from more petty restrictions  . I am convinced that the EU would ban the breeding of game birds for shooting as the Dutch have done . I am sure that Brussels will try and put more restrictions on gun ownership . I think that brexit will be a positive move for us shooters .

harnser

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest stevo
24 minutes ago, Harnser said:

Will shooting benefit from brexit or will we suffer from more petty restrictions  . I am convinced that the EU would ban the breeding of game birds for shooting as the Dutch have done . I am sure that Brussels will try and put more restrictions on gun ownership . I think that brexit will be a positive move for us shooters .

harnser

Think there will be a lot more positive things to come out of leaving than staying with regards shooting ?

Guest stevo
10 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

I'm not sure what the WTO tariffs for cartridges are .... could become very expensive if we end up with no deal.

Cartridge prices will continue to rise regardless of brexit, that you can sure off . 

Shooting is a very expensive hobbies no matter what level or type you do .  But it’s just a hobbie So it’s down to the individual. 

32 minutes ago, AYA117 said:

I presume it will be the end of the General Licence and we will be governed by the Wildlife and Countryside Act.

Why, the GL is not dictated by the EU, it is issued by UK Government Agencies and is reflective of issues/problems in all of the countries of the UK?

We are still Governed by the W&C Act regardless of the GL but the W&C Act is not reviewed/renewed every year as the GL is!

Edited by Dekers

I, personally, have neither any interest nor concern about what may or may not happen. I offer no comment one way or the other and only state a fact.

Some time ago BASC ran a course and the satisfactory completion of which was deemed by FACE to be on a par with any other requirement for a given standard for live quarry shooters in various other European countries to meet in terms of competence.

Should push come to shove and in the future our self regulation is deemed unsatisfactory to an extent whereby it is replaced by a mandatory system would the FACE standard be adopted or would the UK go its own sweet way?

48 minutes ago, Harnser said:

harnser

Let em carry on! I bet there are many Dutch shooters who will bring their money into the UK to shoot game.......good for the UK economy/jobs post Brexit!....screw the EU and their anti shooting laws!

5 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Let em carry on! I bet there are many Dutch shooters who will bring their money into the UK to shoot game.......good for the UK economy/jobs post Brexit!....screw the EU and their anti shooting laws!

Plus 1.    Continentals already spend their money on shooting here and have done for as long as I can remember.  I do not see that changing. Plus of course the whole EU thing is on the skids anyway, just a matter of time.

32 minutes ago, stevo said:

Cartridge prices will continue to rise regardless of brexit, that you can sure off . 

Shooting is a very expensive hobbies no matter what level or type you do .  But it’s just a hobbie So it’s down to the individual. 

That's a relief ... I was expecting some moaning if they go up!!

Guest stevo
7 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

That's a relief ... I was expecting some moaning if they go up!!

I packed up smoking a year ago , that gives me an extra £300 a month  on top of the ridiculous amount I already throw at my shooting , any increases, i rekon I will be a long time yet before hits my pocket again ?

2 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

I'm not sure what the WTO tariffs for cartridges are .... could become very expensive if we end up with no deal.

Don't need a no deal for the prices to go up. the last lot  of 357 I got had gone up by about 50% from £400 and some thing to £600 and some thing.

The Europeans are very strong in supporting shooting and in many countries, it has a stronger traditional position with the people that here in the UK. We will no longer have that support outside the EU and be at the whim of the electorate and politicians. One serious anti shooting government and we are in trouble once the restraints of the EU are gone.

There is going to be less money for environmentally friendly farming outside the EU. This is already happening as the agreements are over long time scales and with us leaving the EU will no longer back new schemes and the Uk government will not pick up all the shortfall. This will result in more intensive farming and a decline in wildlife including our game birds.

Any sporting goods that are made in the EU will cost more, maybe only 6-10% with a soft brexit , but 22% with a hard Brexit and we have to trade under WTO rules. And that will be on top of any inflation price rises.

If we do get an influx of Dutch or any other EU shooters , demand will increase the costs for English shooters.

1 hour ago, bluesj said:

Don't need a no deal for the prices to go up. the last lot  of 357 I got had gone up by about 50% from £400 and some thing to £600 and some thing.

Thats a lot less than a 50% increase. cant say exactly how much lower that 50% , 33% might be a better guess, because we do not know what the something is?  Free popcorn perhaps.

Edited by anser2

1 hour ago, anser2 said:

The Europeans are very strong in supporting shooting and in many countries, it has a stronger traditional position with the people that here in the UK. We will no longer have that support outside the EU and be at the whim of the electorate and politicians. One serious anti shooting government and we are in trouble once the restraints of the EU are gone.

There is going to be less money for environmentally friendly farming outside the EU. This is already happening as the agreements are over long time scales and with us leaving the EU will no longer back new schemes and the Uk government will not pick up all the shortfall. This will result in more intensive farming and a decline in wildlife including our game birds.

Any sporting goods that are made in the EU will cost more, maybe only 6-10% with a soft brexit , but 22% with a hard Brexit and we have to trade under WTO rules. And that will be on top of any inflation price rises.

If we do get an influx of Dutch or any other EU shooters , demand will increase the costs for English shooters.

Thats a lot less than a 50% increase. cant say exactly how much lower that 50% , 33% might be a better guess, because we do not know what the something is?  Free popcorn perhaps.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

What an incredible jumble of inaccuracies and supposition !

Couldn't agree more Rewulf,

Having a pop at someone else's estimated figures, then posting some of their own, which are completely plucked out of thin air. 

Pure tripe

Edited by Newbie to this

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

What an incredible jumble of inaccuracies and supposition !

Rewulf , if what you say is true then prove it.  There are no inaccuracies or supposition in the post , but like so many pro Brexit voters is that your ears are closed to anyone with a different opinion to your own.

20 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I love it when people talk about "hard" and "soft" Brexit, as if they know what either of them means. They are phrases invented by people without a clue about the effects of Brexit - full stop.

In which case you need to read more, study the economic data and watch the news bulletins. If you do not have a pretty good idea  what a hard or soft Brexit is by now you must be living in a bubble.

Edited by anser2

36 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Couldn't agree more Rewulf,

Having a pop at someone else's estimated figures, then posting some of their own, which are completely plucked out of thin air. 

Pure tripe

What figures are plucked out of this air? NONE.

9 hours ago, anser2 said:

As I understand it, European shooting organisations are represented throughout Europe including the UK.....by FACE, post Brexit that will not change!

It was not the EU that put the skids under the antis attempts to ban Grouse shooting in the UK was it?...It was our people/government! 

Whether we are in the EU or out of it, makes no difference "one serious anti shooting government, and we will be in trouble"

Edited by panoma1

To be clear on this ... I think that the UK is a strong nation, and more than capable of prospering outside the EU.

With no deal ...... trading with the EU will have tariffs apply according to the WTO rules .... FACT. With all the BS flying around, I'm not sure everyone gets that.

... if anser2's figure of 22% is correct ... then that will be the increase ... end of.

It's part of my job role to understand the impact of a no deal Brexit on our business ... so I understand the tariffs for all the goods we use, and the associated on-cost. Not pretty for us.

Like I've said before ... let's hope May and her team can find a palatable solution, that avoids some of this impact which would hit UK shoppers pockets hard. 

Stevo ... I think you took my 'moaning' comment personally ... I know your shooting budget seem to have no bounds ... so that was more of a general comment for others !!