Early Harvest On The Cards

marsh man

2 hours ago, Konnie said:

potatoes could be a crop that is hit hard with the hot weather and lack of rain this year,

I would have thought the cost of irrigating would push the cost up and like you say the currant spell of hot , dry weather isn't helping the situation .

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

I would have thought the cost of irrigating would push the cost up and like you say the currant spell of hot , dry weather isn't helping the situation .

There are spud fields near me which are looking very sad... not close enough to a water source to irrigate.  Only seen one field being irrigated which was right alongside the river Anker but water levels in there and the small streams leading to it are getting painfully low with our fishing club postponing stocking until we have substantial rainfall.

I have not seen a combine yet, but cannot be far away looking at some barley.  In addition the silage grass fields are struggling to grow, looking very brown.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

There are spud fields near me which are looking very sad... not close enough to a water source to irrigate.  Only seen one field being irrigated which was right alongside the river Anker but water levels in there and the small streams leading to it are getting painfully low with our fishing club postponing stocking until we have substantial rainfall.

I have not seen a combine yet, but cannot be far away looking at some barley.  In addition the silage grass fields are struggling to grow, looking very brown.

With all this hot / dry weather you would expect the sugar beet showing signs of wilting , yes they could do with some serious rain 

Whilst this hot weather is getting the crops ready early, it's also increasing the risk of combine fires, I've heard of 2 going up already and there was a large crop fire near my mums last week!

On my own ground, the grass is not growing after cutting hay last week, unless we get a good rain soon, it'll be staying yellow for a long time!

11 hours ago, Big Mat said:

Whilst this hot weather is getting the crops ready early, it's also increasing the risk of combine fires, I've heard of 2 going up already and there was a large crop fire near my mums last week!

On my own ground, the grass is not growing after cutting hay last week, unless we get a good rain soon, it'll be staying yellow for a long time!

Talking to the farmer on my perm said there had been  such a fire in Norfolk combine bed caught some flint and away it went.

16 hours ago, marsh man said:

Normally price of spuds will cover cost but when you irrigate they don't send the roots down so deep looking for water, and if you run out of water which some are close too they will only last a few days before starting to die off.

40 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

no pigeons on barley stubble,so waiting for 14 fields of wheat to be cut soon.

I had my first go on barley stubble today , the combine have been working flat out since Tuesday and the balers have been baling up as soon as the combine have came off , this is making it difficult to get any concentration in numbers as there are some on most fields you look at .

The one I went on today isn't far from the pea stubble's where I have been getting good numbers , the first problem I had was the ground was rock hard and I bent the first pole I tried to get in the ground so I used three in a v shape and tied the two ends to the bale , odd pigeons were coming in now and again but the heat was getting to much for me and the dog , around 5pm a tractor and trailer pulled in the field to start carting the bales off and this was a good as time as any to pack up , clearing up was easy today by bringing the motor to where I had my hide and I was on my way home within 20 minutes with 21 pigeons and  both me and the dog showing signs of wilting .

15 minutes ago, kenholland said:

that's why I use dinesmore cork screw hide poles marshman , solves that problem in very dry weather.

I have never heard about the ones your referring to Ken , I will certainly look them up and make some enquiries , THANKS for that . 

I've been on my travels today, saw plenty of combining done out Ely way, all barley, saw some rape been combined on my way there from wisbech, interestingly they'd baled the straw. More barley down behind the inlaws place, cut last night and the balers were just pulling in as i left there this afternoon. No sign of any pigeons though. 

5 hours ago, motty said:

I now have several barley stubbles to go at, plus a few rape stubbles. I shall be having a go in the next couple of days.

Once our Peas were cut there were good numbers of pigeons going onto the stubble's and it wasn't to difficult to make a decent bag , then the combine started on the barley Tuesday and each day they have been cutting well into the evening reducing several fields into stubble , like you I know the likely fields to look at that can produce a bag , the problem is , how long do you leave it before it is worked on or the pigeons have found a new food supply when another field have been cut .

The barley stubble I went on yesterday was cut Wednesday , Friday it was baled up and when I packed up on the pea stubble I went to have a look and there were pigeons on it , this might have been me shooting two fields away and they could go on there undisturbed , anyway , yesterday I thought it was worth having a go , when I got there I walked about 100 off , as already mentioned the ground was rock hard to put the poles in the ground , after a while I had a hide of sorts up , I shot a few early ones and then the tractor and trailer came on to cart the bales off , this didn't bother me as the pigeons still came in while it was working , as the afternoon wore on I could see they were still interested in the pea stubble , with this , the heat and the bales coming off it was time to pack up and look for somewhere to go Monday .

So by having a few fields to go on , yes you have got a choice but it just make it that much harder to get a decent bag , still if anybody can get the best of a situation then I am sure you can , good luck on the day you are going .

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Once our Peas were cut there were good numbers of pigeons going onto the stubble's and it wasn't to difficult to make a decent bag , then the combine started on the barley Tuesday and each day they have been cutting well into the evening reducing several fields into stubble , like you I know the likely fields to look at that can produce a bag , the problem is , how long do you leave it before it is worked on or the pigeons have found a new food supply when another field have been cut .

The barley stubble I went on yesterday was cut Wednesday , Friday it was baled up and when I packed up on the pea stubble I went to have a look and there were pigeons on it , this might have been me shooting two fields away and they could go on there undisturbed , anyway , yesterday I thought it was worth having a go , when I got there I walked about 100 off , as already mentioned the ground was rock hard to put the poles in the ground , after a while I had a hide of sorts up , I shot a few early ones and then the tractor and trailer came on to cart the bales off , this didn't bother me as the pigeons still came in while it was working , as the afternoon wore on I could see they were still interested in the pea stubble , with this , the heat and the bales coming off it was time to pack up and look for somewhere to go Monday .

So by having a few fields to go on , yes you have got a choice but it just make it that much harder to get a decent bag , still if anybody can get the best of a situation then I am sure you can , good luck on the day you are going .

The thing is, some of the fields are on farms several miles apart. This should make things easier. One field I have earmarked for Tuesday is barley stubble. The pigeons are coming and going very nicely. Hopefully not much will be cut around there tomorrow.