Early Harvest On The Cards

marsh man

Could this years harvest be one of the earliest  , or the earliest harvest ever , tonight on the way home from another hot afternoon on the Peas the next door neighbour had made a start on his Winter barley , and by all accounts it not going to be that good .

When I was talking to the farm manager last week he was saying they had already made a start in the London area and that was still in June , and on to nights weather forecast there was no rain on the horizon and it should get hotter still by the weekend . 

Well going by this weather, I expect to see combines this week.

We had some hay cut friday afternoon/saturday morning, they didn't bother turning it as it was so hot, and the baler had made a start this afternoon!

Those who I've spoken to say the yields will be down, straw yield will be down as nothing has the height on it due to lack of rain at the right times, not a good thing for those of us livestock fermers who buy in straw!

7 minutes ago, JDog said:

The last time I saw or even heard of June harvesting of winter barley was in 1976.

Some very good things happened that year including the birth of the agaman.

Edit to say our Winter barley is a fair way off ready but the winter rape has been sprayed off and will possibly be harvested in a week's time.

Edited by aga man

A lot of the wheat here started coming in a week or more ago, winter barley looks close but very thin and OSR will be in next week, Farmers off to the carribean early this year, RangeRover sales down on threat of poor crop though...

Edited by PPP

5 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

Well going by this weather, I expect to see combines this week.

We had some hay cut friday afternoon/saturday morning, they didn't bother turning it as it was so hot, and the baler had made a start this afternoon!

Those who I've spoken to say the yields will be down, straw yield will be down as nothing has the height on it due to lack of rain at the right times, not a good thing for those of us livestock fermers who buy in straw!

With the hot weather being as it is , next week there will be combines going up and down the county flat out , the only good thing is they wont have to use the dryer , on our estate , the earliest start was the 12th of July , over the last few years they have had barley ready but due to wet weather they have started around the third week of July.

5 minutes ago, JDog said:

The last time I saw or even heard of June harvesting of winter barley was in 1976.

This June was supposed to be the driest on record so beating the June in 76 , three or four years ago there was talk that some of the farmers might not be able to attend the Norfolk show due to an early start on the harvest and that is normally the last week in June like it was this year.

I remember the summer of 76 well , that was the only year me and my brother got invited on a English Partridge shoot , due to the very hot weather that year it was an excellent year for wild Greys , coveys were in double figures and we shot one farm in an afternoon and the bag was close on a 100 , something I doubt we will never see again .

3 minutes ago, PPP said:

A lot of the wheat here started coming in a week or more ago, winter barley looks close but very thin and OSR will be in next week, Farmers off to the carribean early this year, RangeRover sales down on threat of poor crop though...

You may may not be correct about the wheat harvest. 

If wheat has been cut it has either been whole cropped for sileage or cut because it has 'take all'.

3 minutes ago, JDog said:

You may may not be correct about the wheat harvest. 

If wheat has been cut it has either been whole cropped for sileage or cut because it has 'take all'.

Would make sense as the first bits were probably 2 weeks ago, first pass then the whole lot done the next day (and it’s some serious acreage)

Scuse ignorance... ‘take all’?

10 minutes ago, PPP said:

Would make sense as the first bits were probably 2 weeks ago, first pass then the whole lot done the next day (and it’s some serious acreage)

Scuse ignorance... ‘take all’?

Take all is a virus infection in the crop which renders the wheat unfit for sale. 

When the disease is spotted the crop is harvested as sileage and fed to livestock. 

3 minutes ago, JDog said:

Take all is a virus infection in the crop which renders the wheat unfit for sale. 

When the disease is spotted the crop is harvested as sileage and fed to livestock. 

Aha... thanks... that could well be it as there is still some wheat around which seemed odd.  To be honest the wheat that was brought in looked a bit green still

16 minutes ago, aga man said:

Some very good things happened that year including the birth of the agaman.

I was 29 then and we done a lot of babbing for Ells in our gun punts , because the ground was so dry and hard we found it hard to get a supply of worms , one night we stood outside the pub and there was a shower of rain , everyone started to shout as if nobody had ever seen a rain drop .

Me and my mate had the bright idea to go to the local park with a bucket and torch and get some worms as they go on the surface when its dark and wet ,  we covered all the ground and got a nice lot which we put in a cast iron bath half full of soil for a later date , the strange thing was nobody arsked us what we doing at midnight in a public park with a torch and bucket , nowadays you would find more wineos and Vodka bottles than worms. 

7 minutes ago, motty said:

The combines have been out in Norfolk already. The barley field I shot on Saturday is ready to be cut.

I wouldn't be surprized if they had already started around the Breckland area where the soil is light , the Peas I went on today have started to go flat but the pods have only got small peas in them , still nice to eat but you need a lot more of them , I recon they will vined at the weekend or early next week .

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 00:03, GingerCat said:

I drove past a field of stubble today. Very early. 

Same here, pigeons coming onto stubble near Bolton this week.

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 20:56, JDog said:

And another born in the summer that never fails to get a mention, always said its why my mum didn't like me, Imagine being pregnant through the whole of the 76 summer heat wave.

5 hours ago, Mice! said:

And another born in the summer that never fails to get a mention, always said its why my mum didn't like me, Imagine being pregnant through the whole of the 76 summer heat wave.

I was born in the winter of 1947 , that winter was one of the coldest on record and I cant say I have been warm ever since  ☺️, although 62/63 winter will take some beating for ice and snow.

Just been reading in our paper where one local farmer said he started combining his winter barley on June 29th , the earliest he had ever started , all our Peas were cut early yesterday morning ( 3 am ) and combining should start Tuesday.