mackerel

holly

Been getting some in the boat but not in big numbers. Some good sized fish around when we do get them but we have other horrors to contend with. Since the seal population at Donna Nook has expanded at a frightening rate year after year, this is what we now have to put up with and this was 20 miles offshore.

Everywhere we went we came across the damned things.  ruined a day on the wrecks and drift.

seals 2.jpg

seals 1.jpg

On 11/08/2018 at 10:39, Sprackles said:

Been getting some in the boat but not in big numbers. Some good sized fish around when we do get them but we have other horrors to contend with. Since the seal population at Donna Nook has expanded at a frightening rate year after year, this is what we now have to put up with and this was 20 miles offshore.

Everywhere we went we came across the damned things.  ruined a day on the wrecks and drift.

Not sure if you are a member of WSF but they have a thread about seals at the moment.... here

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/08/2018 at 21:00, strimmer_13 said:

Tried Paignton and Brixham last weekend. Put about 8hrs in for zero. Only saw 1 other guy catch 1. Yes 1. 

Pretty dire but loads of sandeels about?

We usually have a week in June down at Lyme Regis (lovely place) I always take the rod and tackle with us just encase there’s some early Mackerel, not much this year in June but we might have a few days in September, I was speaking on the phone earlier this week to the guy who runs the Tackle Box near the Cobb, he was saying that the last few days most of the marks along that coast are fishing well for most species with some good catches of mackerel into double figures, he said the last couple of hours before dark are showing good numbers of Mackerel, might be worth a try.   

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/09/2018 at 10:58, old'un said:

We usually have a week in June down at Lyme Regis (lovely place) I always take the rod and tackle with us just encase there’s some early Mackerel, not much this year in June but we might have a few days in September, I was speaking on the phone earlier this week to the guy who runs the Tackle Box near the Cobb, he was saying that the last few days most of the marks along that coast are fishing well for most species with some good catches of mackerel into double figures, he said the last couple of hours before dark are showing good numbers of Mackerel, might be worth a try.   

Fished seaton last weekend and that was far from good, I pulled two small bass out and then some little gurnards, my mate had two eels and a dog... Was not a great outing. 

Edited by ShootingEgg