Surprised by Tesco fuel

Westward

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Good point Vic, I can only suggest using some with a better additive or even a bottle of additive you add yourselves every now and then, especially just before the MoT Test!

Aaah, takes me back to the good ole ‘Redex’ 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, VicW said:

One question you should ask yourself is if the 5 to 7p/litre extra you will pay for higher octane petrol is  going to be recovered in benefits? Higher octane petrol is reputedly good at making your engine run cleaner but how are you going to know?

Vic.

Quite, and it's essentially why I started this thread. Tesco 99 is only a couple of pence more than the standard and first impressions are that the mpg is better as well as the performance which suggests that the engine is running cleaner or at least more efficiently.

Don't get me started on fuel price variations and the ruthlessness with which supermarkets undercut every other filling station in town until they've all gone out of business. Then they put their prices back up and build a T***o Express on the site of an old filling station which then causes the little shop across the road to go out of business too. Aldi and Lidl are starting to really hurt the big supermarkets and if they start selling fuel it would be poetic justice.

31 minutes ago, Westward said:

Don't get me started on fuel price variations and the ruthlessness with which supermarkets undercut every other filling station in town until they've all gone out of business. Then they put their prices back up and build a T***o Express on the site of an old filling station which then causes the little shop across the road to go out of business too. Aldi and Lidl are starting to really hurt the big supermarkets and if they start selling fuel it would be poetic justice.

That might be interesting!

Nothing wrong with momentum at all it's good stuff. When I had a previous car remapped I had it mapped for Momentum over shell v-power as mainly it was more accessible as there are more tesco fuel stations than shell garages around me.

The car in question ran at 400bhp+ & 420lbs ft torque for 3 years on nothing but momentum and never had any issue with knock or detonation on the readings something that was a big concern for me. 

supermarket fuel pumps dont have the bs en standards number on them like branded fuel stations. which gives the spec .government rules say all diesel has to have a minimum of 5% vegetable oil included but no upper limit certain supermarkets have been known to have 18% added not breaking any law but not bs en spec

I use the main big oil companies for my fuel. After working in the tank farms and asking people on site I was also told to use anything but supermarket fuel. The big boys put additives in that most others don’t. Whether it helps I don’t know but I’m not bothered about a few pence. 

On 10/07/2018 at 23:54, gustaff said:

supermarket fuel pumps dont have the bs en standards number on them like branded fuel stations. which gives the spec .government rules say all diesel has to have a minimum of 5% vegetable oil included but no upper limit certain supermarkets have been known to have 18% added not breaking any law but not bs en spec

Not true. All fuel, supermarket or branded has to comply with EN228 for unleaded and for EN590 for diesel. 

I always buy the cheapest diesel I can get, and then often cut with veg oil and in winter a splash of unleaded.

I also get the cheapest unleaded I can find for the car. Back when I was upping compression ratios and seeing just how far I could advance timing I thought differently though. 

On 06/07/2018 at 10:46, Westward said:

They were doing rapeseed at 35p a litre near me a while back. 

I was most surprised on Monday to pull in to a Tesco's Fuel Station and find I was joined at the next pump by a lovely dark Blue Ferrari putting unleaded in to his great big fuel tank.

I had always assumed that an expensive car with a large engine would use a branded fuel.

4 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I was most surprised on Monday to pull in to a Tesco's Fuel Station and find I was joined at the next pump by a lovely dark Blue Ferrari putting unleaded in to his great big fuel tank.

I had always assumed that an expensive car with a large engine would use a branded fuel.

I thought modern higher performance petrol engines tended to incorporate injection systems with knock detection so they could alter the ignition advance curve to suit the limitations of the fuel. That said my understanding was also that detonation would only tend to set in at fairly full throttle positions, so a lighter foot would enable you to run cheaper fuel. 

So my brother who is a tanker driver wonder's what the tankers in front of him who are from tesco. Asda Morrisons. Esso. BP. Shell. Are filling with from the same tanks as him for jet or pace. There is very little refining done in this country now it comes in from abroad and is just stored here in holding tanks at the terminal.its a bit like cartridges people claim one better than another yet there are not that many variants of components to make one any better than the other in the price band. But it's your cash do delude yourselves in any way you wish over petrol and derv. 

On 21/07/2018 at 17:15, bostonmick said:

So my brother who is a tanker driver wonder's what the tankers in front of him who are from tesco. Asda Morrisons. Esso. BP. Shell. Are filling with from the same tanks as him for jet or pace. There is very little refining done in this country now it comes in from abroad and is just stored here in holding tanks at the terminal.its a bit like cartridges people claim one better than another yet there are not that many variants of components to make one any better than the other in the price band. But it's your cash do delude yourselves in any way you wish over petrol and derv. 

If I fill up from Tesco I get 48 mpg. If I fill up from esso it's 52-54 mpg. The a big difference. I'll take the Pepsi challenge in this any day. It's the same journey and I have nothing to gain from paying 5 p more per gallon. The results speak for themselves. Shell is similar to esso.  

4 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

If I fill up from Tesco I get 48 mpg. If I fill up from esso it's 52-54 mpg. The a big difference. I'll take the Pepsi challenge in this any day. It's the same journey and I have nothing to gain from paying 5 p more per gallon. The results speak for themselves. Shell is similar to esso.  

It would be the same. Coming from the same holding tank. 

On 25/07/2018 at 23:12, bostonmick said:

It would be the same. Coming from the same holding tank. 

We know that because it's been stated many times before, but Esso, Shell, BP etc throw in a drum of additives whereas the supermarkets do not. In any event this thread is about 'Momentum' brand from Tesco which they buy in from a 3rd party.

FWIW I would never ever run a decent diesel car (if there is such a thing) on standard supermarket fuel. Tried it, car didn't much like it, didn't try it again!

On a technical level how do they mix these additives in ? Surely you can't just tip a barrel into a garage reservoir and hope it evenly distributes itself ? What if there is some fuel left in there already, are lorry drivers qualified to work out the correct ratios or does it get mixed by lab technicians at some other place ? Oh and why does Esso do this ? Is it so we don't go back so often ? ? I wish MythBusters would answer these mysteries. 

Edited by Hamster

9 hours ago, bostonmick said:

All the supermarkets and most of the other garages buy from third parties. We don't have many refineries in this country now. These additives that are added to the tanker only last for a short while. Three to four days at most

If that is the case and I have no reason to doubt your observations, it is all pretty pointless bothering with the more expensive fuel with the short term additives.

4 hours ago, Hamster said:

On a technical level how do they mix these additives in ? 

One of my sons worked with an ex tanker driver. The additives are supplied in plastic drums and it's part of the driver's job to tip the drum into the tank before delivery to the forecourt.