Jinxed & moderated may have to go.

getthegat

Whilst away in France last week, I was asking about pigeons back here in Blighty and how the hot weather was affecting them. Getting home Sunday, I decided to go on recon yesterday morning and I got an amazing view of hundreds of birds diving into a field just beside my workshop. The small hay field along side the wheat has been cut and carried and many birds were along the edge where the two join, leaving a good area to drop them on, potentially having very few drop in the standing crop. I don't know about any of you guys, but once I have a plan that looks good, the night before I sleep terribly. Both me and the dog were awake at 2.10, getting maybe another half hour snooze before getting up at 4.00 Consequently, energy and tolerance levels were a bit low, but we set up and being a good neighbor, I put up 4 separate signs letting local dog walkers that pest control shooting was going on, and because it was early I was persisting with my moderated 20 bore, though the nearest house was a good half mile away. Again, best laid plans.....the birds were in much smaller numbers, with many going straight on by, heading for fields on the far horizon. Little did I know at this time, that the field had been shot hard only yesterday, so the birds were wise to anything suspicious. I had 12 shells along the wheat edge and just on the grass, plus 3 floaters, trying to replicate what I had witnessed yesterday. I struggled with the moderated, finding my shoulder impingement and weight of the gun, a bad combination. I think I got one or two out of the first 6 or 8 shots. ( I shoot better with my much lighter single moderated) Come half six quarter to seven, I swapped guns and went with the Franchi Affinity and dropped nearly every bird that came our way. By half eight everything was over so disgruntled, we packed up. Sophster found a few in the standing corn and a good one in a big hedge and we ended up with 19 woodies,. A warn out 62 year old was definitely feeling every one of those years and wondering if I need to accept that I have to stay with a lighter gun if I want to save my sanity and take the stress out of a pastime I love. Any of you youngsters looking for a moderated over under?

In a nutshell. With my work commitments I'm usually out early in the morning, the moderated is more friendly, last thing I want is to loose a perm due to noise complaints. As I said, the single Pedretti I find easier to use. Might just have to put up with one shot. One nice shot is better than two misses?

Yes, Investerarm 20. Nicely made, can't fault it's build. I've just been to my gun cabinet and shouldered all my guns one after another and much as the Investerarm comes up nice and points where you want it, my duff shoulder problem means I'm much slower with it and my shoulder twinges if I allow my elbow to go out to the side too much. Guess I could change my shooting style, but after nearly 60 years it's unlikely to happen. I've made the decision, I'm selling it. 

I was called out on Wednesday to try and reduce the crows around the barns and took the pump Hushpower. Which  I have not shot for over a year. The first few birds in were shoot hit, pump,miss,pump,miss and pump. This carried on for the first hour. After three hours it was too hot and I ended with thirty eight.

Moderated guns have place in our armoury, if you do not shoot them frequently they can throw you and you have to get back into them. 

If we ever ban lead totally the steel shot cartridges will not be able to slow burn to be below the sound level. I can imagine having to take shots with subsonic steel with two metre lead over the decoys!!!!!!!!

Yeah I know what you mean. Seems I can leave my non moderated guns in the cabinet for months and then when I take them out, I can do reasonably well, but like you say, the moderated seems for me at least, to require constant practice. As for steel shot and 2 metres of lead, I often struggle with the correct distance as it is. And the dog's not too keen on lead either?

If you only used your Hushpower, you would probably end up as good as you are with your unmoderated guns. I found this to be true with mine, to the extent I was using it when noise/disturbance wasn't an issue.

It might be that your "shoulder impingement" is the real issue, but if not,  the gun is certainly worth persevering with.

You're right on all accounts. I've been using the moderated most of the time and really wanted it to work for me, but the dreaded shoulder issue (which wakes me 2 or 3 times a night) combined with the extra weight, just frustrates me. I've been out with my Affinity this afternoon and had a brilliant time, shot better than I have for years, a good percentage, some nice challenging shots and some blinding long head shots. The Franchi is a feather in comparison and the nice pad on the butt, low recoil........I'll persist with my single moderated, the Pedretti is light and easy to shoulder and is quite pointable. Plus after a really good afternoon, my accountant spoilt it by sending me a tax bill, so I could do with the money. Thanks everyone for all the nice concerned comments.

So Ultrastu, what cartridges are you using in your 20 bore for pigeons? I know corvids want heavier, 5s generally. Pigeons I use #6 same as if I were shooting with 12 bore. The pattern with 20 bore I assume at the same distance, would be smaller than with 12 gauge, requiring greater accuracy. Would a #7 increase pattern size or is the individual pellet size getting a bit small and light to make clean kills. Fields of wheat near me are getting hit hard in the afternoons, great time now to get in some proper practice with my single moderated 20 bore, long as work commitments allow.

Hey getthegat .in my mossy 20b hush .

I mainly use nsi master .which are a 32 grm no6 .but will also use a 28 grm version too .

I also put gamebore regal through it (28 / no6 )and black gold for crows  (32 no5 ).

Ive tried no 7.5 carts many times before and find they just dont kill well enough past 25 yds .for me .in either the 20b or .410 ..

11 hours ago, getthegat said:

So Ultrastu, what cartridges are you using in your 20 bore for pigeons? I know corvids want heavier, 5s generally. Pigeons I use #6 same as if I were shooting with 12 bore. The pattern with 20 bore I assume at the same distance, would be smaller than with 12 gauge, requiring greater accuracy. Would a #7 increase pattern size or is the individual pellet size getting a bit small and light to make clean kills. Fields of wheat near me are getting hit hard in the afternoons, great time now to get in some proper practice with my single moderated 20 bore, long as work commitments allow.

I still don't get why people think that crows are really hard to kill. A few weeks back I had a bag of over 200 mixed blacks. An ounce of 6.5 and 7 was all I used. Killed some 50 yarders, too.

6 hours ago, motty said:

I still don't get why people think that crows are really hard to kill. A few weeks back I had a bag of over 200 mixed blacks. An ounce of 6.5 and 7 was all I used. Killed some 50 yarders, too.

I seem to remember in your videos that you have an after market choke may be that is the reason for long range kills with small shot.

I do find more corvids come down very much still alive ( just my lack of skill I guess)and are definitely harder to dispatch than a pigeon; how many pigeons have we all spun between two fingers, only to have its head come off? never has that happened with a crow. But as with most things, it's about the skill of the guy behind the gun, not necessarily the cartridge. I applaud all that can make consistent long kills and love to watch excellent talented shooting. Everyone has what works for them, I tend to stick with #6 shot for most of my shooting, 28 - 30 grm and cost certainly figures high when making my choice. Being out with my Affinity 12 bore the other day confirmed familiarity plays a huge part; I've shot 12 bore all my life so changing to a 20 bore and a moderated will take some re-learning. Maybe age has something to do with it, they say the older you are the harder it is to learn, but knowledge is king and PW members info and knowledge is always welcome, sometimes a little contraversial but at the end of the day is freely given and there to be used or not. Without knowledge, choices are limited.

I have to agree with you there mate. 

I have now totally given up on anything smaller than a no6 shot .

I find they just dont kill birds cleanly enough .where a no6 will drop pige / jackdoors all day long .a no5 is better for big crows .they are tougher definately .

So at the moment, my cartridge cabinet has, Fiocchi GFL20 28grm #6 fibre, Gamebore 28grm #6 fibre and a few Rottweil 26grm #7 for the 20 bore. And for the 12 bore; Gamebore Velocity 30 grm #6 fibre, Just Cartridge Xtreme 30 grm #6 fibre oh and some Gamebore Hushpower 30grm #5 fibre in 20 gauge. Then in case of a fox, a few Fiocchi 35grm #2 20 gauge and some old Alphamax #4 12 gauge. So a mix of bird shot and zombie apocalypse loads.