Tour de France 2018

chrisjpainter

I thought I'd jump in an get a thread going for the build up this year as it's going to be an interesting one!

I'm glad to see Froome's going to be racing - that investigation was a fiasco from start to finish in every conceivable way! 

anyone got a pick to watch for? My money's on Froome again; his team is just too strong, both physically and mentally. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also glad to see Froome racing, it does bring the question though, how many other riders have been in his situation but no one knows about it?!  He handled himself well throughout.

My money is on Froome/Team Sky too.  They are such a strong team that I don't think anyone can match, as we saw in The Giro.

Will look forward to catching the highlights each night on ITV4.

Hayden

16 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

I thought I'd jump in an get a thread going for the build up this year as it's going to be an interesting one!

I'm glad to see Froome's going to be racing - that investigation was a fiasco from start to finish in every conceivable way! 

anyone got a pick to watch for? My money's on Froome again; his team is just too strong, both physically and mentally. 

Not to mention financially! Lol!

Got to be honest, when Bradley Wiggins (who didn't fail any drug test) was under the spotlight - Froome said there were questions to be asked. He then fails a drug test and declares his innocence, but doesn't think there are questions to be asked. Now he has been cleared, will he apologise to Bradley Wiggins? I think not.

He might well be a world class racer, but his status as a human being is low in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Got to be honest, when Bradley Wiggins (who didn't fail any drug test) was under the spotlight - Froome said there were questions to be asked. He then fails a drug test and declares his innocence, but doesn't think there are questions to be asked. Now he has been cleared, will he apologise to Bradley Wiggins? I think not.

He might well be a world class racer, but his status as a human being is low in my opinion.

I agree. Don’t warm to the bloke at all. And his wife is trouble as well. 

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

"Tour de asmha club"....no doubt we will be seeing them cough their guts up sponsered by "Ventolin inhalers ltd"

I also find it amazing that an asthma sufferer should reach the very pinnacle of cycling, imagine how good he'd be if he wasn't I'll!

Just now, stumfelter said:

I also find it amazing that an asthma sufferer should reach the very pinnacle of cycling, imagine how good he'd be if he wasn't I'll!

excactly..........and the tennis players ...and football players...i have totally lost my trust in all atheletics....when its on ...its just "er we go again"........there are men and women out there who will have zero to do with "enharnsments".....it must be so depressing for them to compete against suspected cheats......i think Usain Bolt is / was awsome...but there is always that nagging doubt in the back of my mind..."am i seeing the real deal ?...or is it fraud"....unfortunatly all winners for me are now tarred with the same brush...

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

excactly..........and the tennis players ...and football players...i have totally lost my trust in all atheletics....when its on ...its just "er we go again"........there are men and women out there who will have zero to do with "enharnsments".....it must be so depressing for them to compete against suspected cheats......i think Usain Bolt is / was awsome...but there is always that nagging doubt in the back of my mind..."am i seeing the real deal ?...or is it fraud"....unfortunatly all winners for me are now tarred with the same brush...

PLUS 1 on that

3 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I think its fair to say they dont like each other, think its down to froome being held back by team orders the year Bradley won.

personally can't wait i enjoy the whole event, found out today that the tour goes past my uncles place he has in France, gutted if only i had known. Probably wouldn't have done anything anyway ? 

Froome was happy to take the King's Shilling when he signed for Sky. He knew the team, he knew their policy, but it didn't stop him having a dig. I like Bradley Wiggins and have little time for the self-centred Froome. That said - both are world class cyclists.

I don't think either cheated - just played within the rules, but Froome got a bit holier than thou, until it was his turn. Two faced springs to mind.

And strangely,,,at the weekend the doctor at the heart of "jiffygate" , decides to speak to the press ( The Times 2/07 2018) about how he was set up by the sacked coach Shane Sutton,,,just days before the Tour starts. Stranger still,,in an interview on BBC R4 this morning relating to the England football thing last night,,the odious Brailsford jumped at the opportunity to claim some of the gloss because of some slight association with the goal scorer. The Sky PR machine is truly manipulative and cynical and should have no part in "sport".

Froome is not loveable but is very good and determined.

Wiggins was likeable and was very good too.

Both are under suspicion still. Which rider participating in the race for the last twenty years or so is above suspicion?

4 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Froome was happy to take the King's Shilling when he signed for Sky. He knew the team, he knew their policy, but it didn't stop him having a dig. I like Bradley Wiggins and have little time for the self-centred Froome. That said - both are world class cyclists.

I don't think either cheated - just played within the rules, but Froome got a bit holier than thou, until it was his turn. Two faced springs to mind.

yup. he's probably learnt a fair bit from it all! He hasn't done anything wrong in terms of the asthma medication, it's just that WADA's science on this whole area is massively flawed and needs addressing. Froome's been lucky that he's got the Team Sky system behind him. They win because they're obsessed with details and statistics and improving to the Nth degree, so they've got shed loads of data on Froome's performance to prove innocence. Alessandro Petacchi (Giro, 2007) wasn't so lucky, so he got a ban he never should have got. The reality is that the asthma meds only take care of one thing: asthma. they don't have a performance enhancing effect. Theoretically, it could increase recovery, but you'd have to take so much of it that the side effects of that level of medication would have way more of a negative effect. Asafa

Good riders will always be under suspicion and truly great riders even more so. That's the legacy of Lance Armstrong: you mistrust excellence. Bolt's a good example though. He's been asked about doping (in the wake of Asafa Powell and the chap who was in the relay team), and just said his record speaks for itself. He's been breaking records since he was able to run. The nature of cycling makes that much harder though - especially given the technology plays a part

Still, here's to three weeks of hard racing and some stunning scenery. I hope Yeats has a good Tour. I felt so bad for him after his Giro blowupt!

Edited by chrisjpainter

3 hours ago, Velocette said:

And strangely,,,at the weekend the doctor at the heart of "jiffygate" , decides to speak to the press (

did he not just bring out a book?

2 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Still, here's to three weeks of hard racing and some stunning scenery. I hope Yeats has a good Tour. I felt so bad for him after his Giro blowout!

yes and yes, think he will aim for a stage or two cant see him threatening for the title after how his Giro finished.

On 04/07/2018 at 19:38, Velocette said:

And strangely,,,at the weekend the doctor at the heart of "jiffygate" , decides to speak to the press ( The Times 2/07 2018) about how he was set up by the sacked coach Shane Sutton,,,just days before the Tour starts. Stranger still,,in an interview on BBC R4 this morning relating to the England football thing last night,,the odious Brailsford jumped at the opportunity to claim some of the gloss because of some slight association with the goal scorer. The Sky PR machine is truly manipulative and cynical and should have no part in "sport".

Yes including sky sports TV and all the money they put into football. Take the financial side out of sport  and the temptation to cheat 

28 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

that was brutal! gutted for Porte, though. A threat to Froome in the GC, but even so, no one wants to see him of all people go out like that

I know, a nice guy by the sounds of it. I have just read Froome's book 'The Climb' whilst on holiday and he has a lot of good things to say about Porte.

I, too, fancy Froome for the win, up to 8th now, his break in the Giro, 80k out was amazing. Sangan looks very good as usual and may as well have his torso tattooed green. Cav looks a little out of sorts and just hasn't got his positioning right in the lead out.

29 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Cav is getting older and younger guys are coming through the ranks, plus he has all the weight if those 5 wins he needs slowing him down.

I'll be watching todays highlights later, but yes the cobbles yesterday looked very nasty.

Pretty dull highlights. It's a rest day ;)