Tour de France 2018

chrisjpainter

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep! time to find out who's in what sort of shape.

I'm not sure what I think of cobbled sections. You can kill someone's TdF in one stage that is like nothing else on the tour. You can be bad at time trials and suffer (like Bardet), but still finish the tour. You can be bad in the mountains (like all the sprinters) but still make it to the end. You can be a rubbish sprinter, but no one cares. But if you're bad at cobbles, you can risk not even finishing and potentially break bones. One stage ruins 21. It hardly seems fair!

6 hours ago, vmaxphil said:

Spot on I think Richie port might agree with you

Was he even on the cobbles when he went down? Looked like just bad luck?

I think the cobbles are just there to knobble, makes interesting viewing but given how hard and Long the tour is I don't think anybody would miss them.

10 hours ago, Mice! said:

Was he even on the cobbles when he went down? Looked like just bad luck?

I think the cobbles are just there to knobble, makes interesting viewing but given how hard and Long the tour is I don't think anybody would miss them.

Ironically, He wasn't! He went down before they'd even started. Let's blame them though anyway. Mental worry about what was coming up ;)

There were a lot of rumblings before the event that riders were not looking forward to it. Van Avermaet (I think) said he was going to hate every moment of it. I know it's meant to be a challenge, but not the 'half a sunday in hell', as Dan Martin put it for the sake of some sadists who like seeing broken collarbones. 

2 hours ago, shalfordninja33 said:

Dutch corner looks amazing. I'd love to pitch up there with a Union Jack one year!

It would be fun watching them drag you away ?

I'm spoiling nothing, i just watched the end of the race when i got up, can't wait for the highlights later.

3 hours ago, Penelope said:

Looking forward to the highlights tonight, finally going up hill.

14 hours ago, Mice! said:

It would be fun watching them drag you away ?

I'm spoiling nothing, i just watched the end of the race when i got up, can't wait for the highlights later.

Cracking rides from Alaphillipe to win the stage and Van Avermaet to retain yellow.

I've just watched the second half of the highlights again!!

First off peter Sagan is a machine.

I was enjoying the views and thinking so what's going to happen? Boom off they go, i still don't get how one person in front helps so much on the climbs, but it obviously does, GT looked like a fresh rider the way he went from 5k out.

Can't see Sky not keeping the yellow now for the rest of the race?

Shame for Cav, haven't watched anything from today yet but I'm sure he will give a great interview, and at least he finished  

Just a thought?

It looks pretty certain that Sky will be taken over, probably by Comcast. Will the new owner continue to sponsor cycling; especially a US company supporting what is almost the British national team in essence. This may be the last Tour De France for Sky.

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

I've just watched the second half of the highlights again!!

First off peter Sagan is a machine.

I was enjoying the views and thinking so what's going to happen? Boom off they go, i still don't get how one person in front helps so much on the climbs, but it obviously does, GT looked like a fresh rider the way he went from 5k out.

Can't see Sky not keeping the yellow now for the rest of the race?

Shame for Cav, haven't watched anything from today yet but I'm sure he will give a great interview, and at least he finished  

Mad, wasn't it? I sat there thinking, 'okay, Sky've got this covered. This is all normal. No danger here' suddenly it's mayhem with attacks all over the place - and still Sky come out dominant. It was spectacular.

And today's didn't disappoint! It's been a barnstorming TdF. More of the same please, the only question is what to do with the rest days! SO selfish of them, can't they see we need our fix??

I am no cyclist, but these guys, all of them have my admiration. I have driven quite a number of those mountain roads and the thought of pedalling up makes my legs turn to jelly.

I am rooting for the 'Welshman', he deserves to win, he has worked tirelessly to put others in prime position over the years. Hope the management do not pull him back.

Slightly off tack... I live in a small village with a slight hill alongside my yard. I am stunned .... amazed as club teams come up at close on the speed limit and they are all chatting about what they did the night before, like they are going downhill.  

Edited by Walker570

5 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Today reads like it was a bit epic also!!

Wasn't it just, I watched the highlights tonight and wow ? got to love how happy GT was at the win, i would love to know what is being said on the radio, is he being aloud to race or doing it regardless?

And how many of the top guys stayed in it till the end, anybody could have taken the win, shame for the ditch lad having gone so far but that's racing.

Did you hear the commentator say that the local mayor had banned the sale of alcohol, but the last time the race was held there at col du thingy Bob they sold 90 barrels of beer at Dutch corner alone!!!

Spectator got dumped to the ground by security and ban those ****** flares

My views on the subject. I love the Tour, I started to watch it when being off work after my cruciate ligament was repaired. I love the countryside and watch the fields etc. Re the Wiggins and Froome medication. I'm old enough to rememberer the French disqualifying the Mini Coopers in the Monte Carlo Rally for having I think 5 inch headlamps not metric??? They change to rules to win.

During my drive down this year we must have passed twenty plus lorries all connected to the tour , very impressive.

8 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I am no cyclist, but these guys, all of them have my admiration. I have driven quite a number of those mountain roads and the thought of pedalling up makes my legs turn to jelly.

I am rooting for the 'Welshman', he deserves to win, he has worked tirelessly to put others in prime position over the years. Hope the management do not pull him back.

Slightly off tack... I live in a small village with a slight hill alongside my yard. I am stunned .... amazed as club teams come up at close on the speed limit and they are all chatting about what they did the night before, like they are going downhill.  

Yeah I'd love to see G win the GC, but he said yesterday he's still riding for Froome. I guess that's okay,  but he's in epic form, it'd be a shame to waste it. Admittedly we've not seen him show winning form over the whole three weeks yet, but this year is his best chance yet. If he does cede to Foome, I just hope this isn't the best chance he'll ever get. No one deserves a TdF win more than him.

4 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Yeah I'd love to see G win the GC, but he said yesterday he's still riding for Froome. I guess that's okay,  but he's in epic form, it'd be a shame to waste it. Admittedly we've not seen him show winning form over the whole three weeks yet, but this year is his best chance yet. If he does cede to Foome, I just hope this isn't the best chance he'll ever get. No one deserves a TdF win more than him.

Has GT finished a tour de France yet? He always seems to get injured pushing it to the limit, hopefully this year he stays on the bike.

And i liked his comment yesterday, can we go to Paris now ??