Tour de France 2018

chrisjpainter

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's worth looking up the article where Froom described his 'big push' stage on last years Tour. No-one expected it, but from all of the health data, the team knew he was in great shape to make a statement, and everything went to plan (I forget which stage).

I believe the team will know which of their riders is in the best shape to win, and will pursue that goal above all others.

3 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

It's worth looking up the article where Froom described his 'big push' stage on last years Tour. No-one expected it, but from all of the health data, the team knew he was in great shape to make a statement, and everything went to plan (I forget which stage).

I believe the team will know which of their riders is in the best shape to win, and will pursue that goal above all others.

I can't remember the stage you mean, but it doesn't surprise me. That's exactly what they did for his Giro epic. 80km solo break was unheard of and no one expected it, but the team knew what shape he was in and knew exactly how to help him plan it, down to the last ml of water. Yes he's a supremely natural talent, but my word does he make the most of it with planning and training

Back to yesterday, i wasn't watching properly as i was updating my cv, what a shame for Yates crashing certainly cost him the stage, and good sportsman ship shown by err polka dot jersey for being willing to wait.

How do you finish a race with a broken knee cap??? 

on to today, I'm sure you can see froome get spat at with 13km to go, froome marked the attack well and I was waiting for GT to launch upto him.

I'm now wondering if froome is a little off his usual amazing form, given what he has done over the last 12 months with three grand tours its hardly surprising, the team sky plan might have been for Geraint to be the man all along, also taking the spotlight off froome a little.

4 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Back to yesterday, i wasn't watching properly as i was updating my cv, what a shame for Yates crashing certainly cost him the stage, and good sportsman ship shown by err polka dot jersey for being willing to wait.

on to today, I'm sure you can see froome get spat at with 13km to go, froome marked the attack well and I was waiting for GT to launch upto him.

I'm now wondering if froome is a little off his usual amazing form, given what he has done over the last 12 months with three grand tours its hardly surprising, the team sky plan might have been for Geraint to be the man all along, also taking the spotlight off froome a little.

I've been wondering the same. Test to see how good Froome is, but keep G hot too, and assume one of them will be able to win it. I have to say, G's looked ice cool. Yes he's had support, but his tactics have been spot on - to the point of bagging a few seconds at the end - as if to say 'See, Tom ol' boy? Still fresh as a daisy. If that's all you have, you're in trouble!'

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

I've been wondering the same. Test to see how good Froome is, but keep G hot too, and assume one of them will be able to win it. I have to say, G's looked ice cool. Yes he's had support, but his tactics have been spot on - to the point of bagging a few seconds at the end - as if to say 'See, Tom ol' boy? Still fresh as a daisy. If that's all you have, you're in trouble!'

Yes G doesn't need to attack, just needs to maintain what he has. In the interviews Tom was being asked if he's now going after Froome's second place?? I haven't looked at the time trial but i just don't see sky loosing it at this point.

tomorrows stage looks a bit boring for us, probably be a break away but otherwise should be straightforward for the sky train, wonder if Yates will try again for a stage win?

10 hours ago, Mice! said:

Good point, G is certainly the team leader now though.

They are tough, that was some crash and fall. Did you see what he landed on, rocks and stonework?

Julian Alaphillipe seems like a really good egg.

With regards to Froome, the booing and disrespect have been part of every stage. Disgraceful.

Now, yesterday's stage certainly livened things up!  Was starting to get a bit bored of this years GC race.

G certainly seems the strongest rider of them all in this race, and was good to see him attack at the top. 

11 hours ago, Mice! said:

Agree with this.  I'm not surprised at all that G is the leader, there is only so much one man can (physically) win.

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

With regards to Froome, the booing and disrespect have been part of every stage. Disgraceful.

Also agree with this.  The booing is just pathetic.

I think we need more stages like this.  Forget the big 200km+ stages, drop the mileage and see everyone go full gas for the whole ride.

Cheers

Hayden

Eeek! it's a horror descent! Egan Bernal has been immense! Froome's still in this for the stage/overall podium if he can hold on now. Sky have been brilliant once again

They used to say Froome wasn't much of a descender. Yet here he is, in fog, flying down and overtaking people. superb

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

Eeek! it's a horror descent! Egan Bernal has been immense! Froome's still in this for the stage/overall podium if he can hold on now. Sky have been brilliant once again

They used to say Froome wasn't much of a descender. Yet here he is, in fog, flying down and overtaking people. superb

Yep amazing, i remember coming down a hill in the lakes, probably doing at least 30 plus mph, bottle went back brake went on gently, it was perfect conditions, straight quiet road lovely weather, and these guys are doing 50mph on bends and fog, crazy but great to watch.

Have you seen the time trial!!! It's got a real decent near the finish, people will be flying down it looking for time.

Well done to Geraint Thomas for winning. Class rider.

My only quibble (living in Wales) is that I have heard that he won at least 50 times on the radio today. Yes he is Welsh, but he was riding for a UK team rather than Wales surely? 

Do we refer to Froome as English when he wins? Maybe we do. :hmm:

6 minutes ago, walshie said:

My only quibble (living in Wales) is that I have heard that he won at least 50 times on the radio today. Yes he is Welsh, but he was riding for a UK team rather than Wales surely? 

Do we refer to Froome as English when he wins? Maybe we do. 

In every sport they are English when they win ?? . That's why the rest of the UK take the **** when they don't ?

I watched the highlights last night and am working my way through the live footage, i would have liked froome to win the TT but overall its been a really good tour.

I did like how down to earth GT seems and they keep saying he's like the bloke next door, but he lives in Monte Carlo!!! How much do these guys make? At least they earn it, no falling over like those soppy footballers.

I normally start watching the Vuelta but its just not the same.

and no more Chris Boardman 

39 minutes ago, walshie said:

Do we refer to Froome as English when he wins? Maybe we do. 

He's Kenyan/South Africa born and bread, just English by convenience, ain't he?

13 hours ago, Mice! said:

I watched the highlights last night and am working my way through the live footage, i would have liked froome to win the TT but overall its been a really good tour.

I did like how down to earth GT seems and they keep saying he's like the bloke next door, but he lives in Monte Carlo!!! How much do these guys make? At least they earn it, no falling over like those soppy footballers.

I normally start watching the Vuelta but its just not the same.

and no more Chris Boardman 

Geraint's on £3.5m a year; that will go up a bit now, plus an expected £1m through endorsements this year.

12 hours ago, panoma1 said:

He's Kenyan/South Africa born and bread, just English by convenience, ain't he?

English parents, born in Kenya, schooled in Kenya/South Africa. Rode for Kenya and then swapped his Kenyan passport for a British so that he could ride in Europe. Read 'The Climb', it may clear up some misconceptions.

41 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Geraint's on £3.5m a year; that will go up a bit now, plus an expected £1m through endorsements this year.

Didn’t realise it would be that much. Good for him though. 

Funny isn’t it that is he is just thought of a down to earth Welshman. No comments anywhere about him being a tax dodger. Compare that to Hamilton who live in Monaco for the same reasons (he earns most of his money overseas and wants to pay as little tax as possible) yet is slated by many. 

6 hours ago, AVB said:

Didn’t realise it would be that much. Good for him though. 

Funny isn’t it that is he is just thought of a down to earth Welshman. No comments anywhere about him being a tax dodger. Compare that to Hamilton who live in Monaco for the same reasons (he earns most of his money overseas and wants to pay as little tax as possible) yet is slated by many. 

not the same league as Hamilton, watched a few interviews with him and he seems proper shocked by winning.

and he went to the same school as Gareth bale and Sam Warburton, that must going against the school system encouraging winners.