IMR Smokeless Rifle Powder 3031

IMR Smokeless Rifle Powder 4895

IMR Smokeless Rifle Powder 4064

IMR Smokeless Rifle Powder 4320

IMR Smokeless Rifle Powder 4350

IMR Smokeless Rifle Powder 4831

IMR Smokeless Powder Trail Boss

IMR Smokeless Powder PB

I'm sure that with the American culture of claiming damages for any small issue there is no risk with any of these powders. Just another EU move to rid its population of private gun ownership. Hopefully we will be out of EU soon and just have the UK government to worry about.

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 08:38, MAB1954 said:

I'm sure that with the American culture of claiming damages for any small issue there is no risk with any of these powders. Just another EU move to rid its population of private gun ownership. Hopefully we will be out of EU soon and just have the UK government to worry about.

Its not gun related, all substances imported into the EU have to be REACH compliant. As I understand it the importers simply don't think the volumes justify the cost of getting them all tested. 

On 05/07/2018 at 04:17, bluesj said:

All made by the same company 

Not so. Marketed by Hodgdon but not made by them.

All of the original Extreme range of extruded powders were made by ADI/Thales in Australia but that changed a few years ago and some are now made by North American factories.

Most but not all of the IMR range (Trail Boss is ADI) is North American.

On 09/07/2018 at 12:23, Vince Green said:

Its not gun related, all substances imported into the EU have to be REACH compliant. As I understand it the importers simply don't think the volumes justify the cost of getting them all tested. 

I think it is gun related, EU wants to rid itself of private gun ownership by any means it can, REACH is just another tool to achieve this. I don't think the Americans have an equivalent to the EU REACH so its all rubbish end of. The rest of the world will still be using these powders.

From a different angle - why can the American reloader frequently purchase European powders, primers and new cartridge cases (shotgun) - cheaper than the US manufactured equivalents - and cheaper than we can buy in the UK ? 

Am I correct in thinking that the tariffs applied in the US on foreign imports are not being levied - OR - are the EU manufacturers "dumping" a subsidised product in the US to undermine US manufacturers. Whatever way one looks at it, there is a bad aroma.... surprise, surprise?

4 hours ago, harkom said:

From a different angle - why can the American reloader frequently purchase European powders, primers and new cartridge cases (shotgun) - cheaper than the US manufactured equivalents - and cheaper than we can buy in the UK ? 

Am I correct in thinking that the tariffs applied in the US on foreign imports are not being levied - OR - are the EU manufacturers "dumping" a subsidised product in the US to undermine US manufacturers. Whatever way one looks at it, there is a bad aroma.... surprise, surprise?

Same situation DownUnder.

Here is an attempt at an explanation from the ADI website.

I take this with many grains of salt because the same cost disparity  exists on many manufactured goods that don't have these stringent compliance costs.

I've heard many of the Hodgdon powders are actually ADI powders. If so why are they cheaper to purchase in the US?

One of the first things to note is that powder is typically sold in one-pound jars in the US, and that one pound is 453.6 grams. Australian reloaders buying 500 gram jars are therefore getting 10% more powder per jar than in the US. Further, ADI Powders does not control the retail price of our powders in Australia. The retail price of powder is determined by the market, and gunshops are free to set the price of powder according to their costs and profit requirements. This brings us neatly to the final factor determining the retail price of powder – the relatively high cost associated with moving powder around Australia in compliance with transport regulations as set by each state. In the US, powder can often be shipped as ordinary freight, while in Australia it has to be moved by a licensed carrier of dangerous goods. The cost of compliance with these requirements is probably the largest single factor determining the retail price of our powder in Australia.