Mobile phone networks

Ricko

Hi, I make no apology for being a complete Luddite when it comes to technology.

im looking at getting a new mobile phone.

is there any network I should avoid?

im having a disasterous time with my technology at the moment.

cheers

20 minutes ago, markm said:

Buy the handset outright. 

Take out a three network sim only deal. 

I’ve done most other options. I see this as the middle ground. 

This is something that I was thinking about. I need a phone with a decent memory. I using an old phone of my daughters and it can only support a couple of Apps. I was perhaps going to get a refurbished S7 or something like that.

28 minutes ago, markm said:

Buy the handset outright. 

Take out a three network sim only deal.

This....I took the £7.50 monthly deal, your not tied into any contract,

UL mins/texs + 2g data, if you don't use your data they give you money back which comes off your next  bill.

Avoid Voda...:sick:

6 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Vodafone has been perfect for me. Sim only, massive calls and txt, 2gb data £6 PM. Seriouisly reliable.

Yep they tried the same deal with me, but over an 18mth contract, 6mth free, so it worked out at £6...is your sim on 18mth contract.?

40 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Yep they tried the same deal with me, but over an 18mth contract, 6mth free, so it worked out at £6...is your sim on 18mth contract.?

Tink it might be 12 months but at that price I'm not bothered about a contract tie up anyway.

Sorry to butt in. But are refurbished phones worth the risk.

I'm in the same position,  my S4 mini has not got the memory or Hardware to manage modern apps.

I've been looking at S6 or S7's but unsure what to do as they are still £150-£200 refurbished. 

And how does ebay sell brand new one's for under £200?

I'm afraid of being ripped off.

Not wishing to derail the post but still on the subject of phone networks.

I had to take the wife to a hospital appointment at Dover hospital and was well early, so decided to drive to the promenade at St.Margaret's Bay nearby to while away half an hour or so. Decided after 15 minutes to check the time on my mobile (car engine switched off so car clock wasn't showing). Suddenly, we were half an hour late for the appointment !

Quickly started car and the car clock registered an hour earlier than the mobile. What had happened, the mobile switched to a French station and added an hour. Panic over.

I'm sure that Crazycooker on here can confirm this as he works in the area, and no doubt has confused many in the past. I now understand that the charges also increase dramatically when on the foreign station so sympathise with the locals in this area.

OB

12 hours ago, mickyh said:

Sorry to butt in. But are refurbished phones worth the risk.

I'm in the same position,  my S4 mini has not got the memory or Hardware to manage modern apps.

I've been looking at S6 or S7's but unsure what to do as they are still £150-£200 refurbished. 

And how does ebay sell brand new one's for under £200?

I'm afraid of being ripped off.

I know what you mean, I was going to buy a refurb phone from a reputable supplier, they usually offers decent guarantee with them. I don't 'live' my life through my phone but do use apps; eBay, what's app, booking.com, trip advisor etc.

18 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Vodafone has been perfect for me. Sim only, massive calls and txt, 2gb data £6 PM. Seriouisly reliable.

Is that a contract or PAYG, I can't take out another Voda contract for three months as I took one out for my son the other week!

Thankfully I've no desire to have the latest iphone ect so I've escaped ridiculous monthly bills.

Every few years I'll buy a year old android phone for around £150 and pay about £20 a month giffgaff which is pretty much unlimited everything.

Currently have a huawei P9 with the Leica lenses, I can't imagine I'll bother with another brand now, this is my 2nd and both have been faultless.

I do not get monthly contracts - how much of what you are paying for is left over at the end of each month and wasted?

Tescos pay as you go - credit never runs out.

I have a £10 phone that calls and texts, even has a colour screen. I use it as an emergency phone when out and about on the farm when working on stuff where risking a more expensive phone would be daft. I put £5 on it 4 years ago - still has £4+ credit left.

I also  have a 4 year old Moto G that I think cost £110 - I put £30 a year on it.

The cheap phone has a far better aerial on it than the expensive one or maybe less interference - either way it gets the best signal and they are obviously on the same network.

I have decided to go Sim only and go with the new carphone warehouse sim only deal, rolling one month contract, 4gb data, 500mins, unlimited texts for £8.00 a month. I couldn't find anything else that comes close to that.

I also did some quick calculations and i found the contracts were always more expensive than the buying the phone and a sim only deal.

Edited by ferguson_tom

giftgaff  for 10 pound a money on pays as you go goodie bag i get 4GB of data and unlimited calls and unlimited texts. have no problems on signal in fact its better than vodafone i have found. can top up with 02 voucher or by paypal or by my bank card. and if you want phones toby deals samsung s9 + under 450 pound from them to buy out right