Wildfowling Dogs

squirrel shooter

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SPRINGER the only dog i have currently capable, Going through a  old dog phase 15 year old Labrador still willing but past it, and his litter brother just died three months ago2  new lab pups next year i will get another pair of litter brothers these will be my third pair. 

I have always had Labradors and all of the have been Black , I cant say they are the best fowling dogs because I haven't had any other breed to compare them with . but the ones I have had have been loyal and as keen as I would like a dog to be and I have never regretted making that choice. 

Yes, they definately have a head full of string. The trick though, is knowing how to unravel it!

They aren`t so much head strong as differently wired than, say, a lab. I`ve always found them quite easy to train but I would not recommend one as a first dog. When you can turn out a well trained Lab, flatcoat or goldie, then is the time to think about a Chessie. They will require all the tricks in the trainers repetoire, not because they are hard headed, but that they have a completely different world view to most other retrievers.

8 hours ago, Diabolo said:

Springers up till now, both 12 years old next month so succession plan in place and going well. Will therefore be debuting my Lincolnshire Red Goose Dog second half of coming season.

bess18.JPG

Gotta say that is one lovely looking dog. :good: