Wildfowling Dogs

squirrel shooter

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 22:57, Ttfjlc said:

My Black Lab under a stunning moon

20171103_222433-1494x2656.jpg

And again with a well deserved burger....which he demolished in less than 10 seconds. 

20180104_044357-1494x2656.jpg

20180104_044419-1494x2656.jpg

20180104_044521-1494x2656.jpg

Hahaha love it, I have a lab that inhales bread. The burger is a good idea, might slow him down!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had Labs and Golden retrievers for the past  50 years and they have served me very well and done all I have asked of them from coastal wildfowling, pigeon shooting and rough shooting. Most have been good on a driven day though one Lab was just too excitable for a game shooting day. Had a rescue Lab that failed to make the grade , but the damage had been done well before I got her. One of my friends does well with springers for inland , but  they are not so good on the coast. When you have a wet cold springer thats been sitting in the bottom of a wet, very muddy creek for 4 hours on a freezing mid winters day  it soon becomes clear that they are not cut out for that sort of work. Never had a Chessie , but a friend has and it was brilliant as a wildfowling dog , but it was very aggressive towards other dogs.

Edited by anser2

Never found my Chessie to be aggresive (think its all in the breeding) far from it, if anything a little too soft, but I'd rather have that than the other. Not that he's a push over at 40kg, he'll guard the house and myself if needs be. When he was younger, he'd swim way out on the severn on what I thought would be impossible retrieves, only for him to drift down with the current and run back up to me on the bank, having never really taught him that. He seems to have natural retriever instinct in him. Being my first dog, I've also heard the head strong and aggressive nature of them, yes struggled a little in training but he turned out ok, BUT if he doesn't want to go he'll sit his **** right down, comical to watch really. Would I have another? of course, with out a shadow of doubt, loyal, funny and totally dependable.

1 hour ago, browndog said:

Never found my Chessie to be aggresive (think its all in the breeding) far from it, if anything a little too soft, but I'd rather have that than the other. Not that he's a push over at 40kg, he'll guard the house and myself if needs be. When he was younger, he'd swim way out on the severn on what I thought would be impossible retrieves, only for him to drift down with the current and run back up to me on the bank, having never really taught him that. He seems to have natural retriever instinct in him. Being my first dog, I've also heard the head strong and aggressive nature of them, yes struggled a little in training but he turned out ok, BUT if he doesn't want to go he'll sit his **** right down, comical to watch really. Would I have another? of course, with out a shadow of doubt, loyal, funny and totally dependable.

Evening bud, can you explain to me please how he's totally dependable yet if he doesn't want to go he won't? I'm not having a dig as I was considering getting a chessie possibly next year and I'm just curious what the scenarios are where he decides to sit put. 

1 hour ago, browndog said:

Totally agree with your comments mines now 45 kg big and strong but not aggressive at all to other dogs or people 

but my Nans yorkie was a nasty bstard 

Slow burner for training, but until you have one and you learn to talk Chessie with all the little characteristics you really appreciate what a good dog they are 

if you have doubts get a lab like everyone else 

26 minutes ago, Ttfjlc said:

Evening bud, can you explain to me please how he's totally dependable yet if he doesn't want to go he won't? I'm not having a dig as I was considering getting a chessie possibly next year and I'm just curious what the scenarios are where he decides to sit put. 

Just read back what I'd written, yeah, contradicting myself, I can depend on him to make the retrieve, its the daft owner that send him one way, thinking thats the better option only for him to sit then do it his way, which is normally the right way, think they call that intelligence. 

19 minutes ago, squirrel shooter said:

browndog what part of the severn do you shoot? I shoot the severn too.

Redfish77  i have shot at momtrose before what a great place to shoot. That was my first time widfowling at scotland, what a great place! 

I've since moved to Milton Keynes, about 4 years ago, I was a member of Gloucester Wildfowlers for 3-4 years, shot mainly frampton side, just for ease as lived in woottton bassett. Now member of Fenland WA but not been out much. Hence trying my hand at pigeon shooting nearer home, no permissions as yet.

2 minutes ago, browndog said:

Just read back what I'd written, yeah, contradicting myself, I can depend on him to make the retrieve, its the daft owner that send him one way, thinking thats the better option only for him to sit then do it his way, which is normally the right way, think they call that intelligence. 

Completely agree pal, out in a wood with my Labrador once, waved him right, he just looked at me and went left, a bit annoyed but then he put up half a dozen pheasants! I appreciate your reply as I'm no expert trainer hence the question regarding scenarios, my first lab was great at finding birds but once on game/Wildfowl he had no interest whatsoever in dummy refreshers in the garden. :good:

2 minutes ago, Ttfjlc said:

Completely agree pal, out in a wood with my Labrador once, waved him right, he just looked at me and went left, a bit annoyed but then he put up half a dozen pheasants! I appreciate your reply as I'm no expert trainer hence the question regarding scenarios, my first lab was great at finding birds but once on game/Wildfowl he had no interest whatsoever in dummy refreshers in the garden. :good:

Like I said my first dog ever, in at the deep end training him, does what I need, retrieves shot game for me, may not be stylish or lightening quick, but saves me swimming out for it, ?. Patience is the key, and if one approach doesn't work, try something different.

26 minutes ago, browndog said:

Like I said my first dog ever, in at the deep end training him, does what I need, retrieves shot game for me, may not be stylish or lightening quick, but saves me swimming out for it, ?. Patience is the key, and if one approach doesn't work, try something different.

:good:

10 hours ago, squirrel shooter said:

browndog what part of the severn do you shoot? I shoot the severn too.

Redfish77  i have shot at momtrose before what a great place to shoot. That was my first time widfowling at scotland, what a great place! 

My home wildfowling is a bit further downstream at Wentloog so not too far away from you. Montrose is an amazing place just being out on the basin is a fantastic experience.

20170404_170025.jpg

Edited by redfish77

Fox red bitch, this will be her third season,this was her first,missed most of last season, due to broken ankle

PC210370.JPG

On 17/07/2018 at 21:44, Salmo said:

Here’s mine watching geese in the distance 

1E3B9234-B33B-4A36-B8D1-D27548F7371B.jpeg

Looks familiar (not the dog)shingle bank near ****ss ?

Edited by guzzicat