Wildfowling Dogs

squirrel shooter

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/07/2018 at 09:58, Diabolo said:

Springers up till now, both 12 years old next month so succession plan in place and going well. Will therefore be debuting my Lincolnshire Red Goose Dog second half of coming season.

bess18.JPG

Diablo is that a reconized breed  ? it certainly looks well ! atb DD

22 hours ago, m greeny said:

Cracking dog that mate I seen your pups they were a good strong litter a credit to you. One day when the time is right I will have a chessie grace my kennel

Thanks m greeny ,Eider has been a pleasure to own and i dont see me being without a chessie now .  The pups have all turned out really nice. I cant wait to bring the bitch I kept on, I hope she turns out as good as her mother and father. I still have one bitch pup left if you hear of anyone after one. They have all gone to good working home and it will be good to see how they turn out. 

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 13:31, derbyduck said:

Diablo is that a reconized breed  ? it certainly looks well ! atb DD

Nah, I just like pulling peoples legs when thy ask me what she is! She's either a designer dog or mongrel cur, depending on your point of view! 

I have had spaniels up till now, but most of my shooting was down south on duck. Since relocating up in sunny Lincolnshire I've got a bad case of "goose fever", so when time came to find a successor to my now 12 year old springer I wanted something with a little more bone. Looked at getting another springer but they seem to be getting smaller (the influence of field trials perhaps? Bred for speed and to score points primarily maybe?), and looked at other breeds, lab, curly coated retriever (couldn't find any working lines of them) etc. but nothing really appealed to me, so I tried to mate my dog springer with a friends lab bitch from his own line (great in water, excellent temperament etc. etc. known for 3 generations: dam is a yellow lab but the grandmother was chocolate, hence the colour). Unfortunately they didn't tie, despite his best efforts, so the sire is another working liver and white springer of known heritage (no KC pedigrees in sight for dam or sire - no bad thing perhaps). Like any first cross it's always a gamble what will turn up, but it seems to have paid off on this occasion with all the characteristics I was after in my new 'fowling companion. She's just over a year now, weighs in at around 65lbs, neck like a bull, rump like an Argentine heifer, webbed feet nearly the size of my palm, gob like an alligator, loves the water, retrieves well. What's not to like!

At risk of being controversial I did look at getting a Chessie, but have little personal experience of the breed apart from a couple of chance encounters on the sea wall: not particularly positive ones. I've met a couple of young 'fowlers who've expressed their ambition to own a Chessie, but from what I've heard/read they may not be entirely suitable for everyone. There are a few question marks about temperament, it has to be said. Thought one might give my other dogs a hard time in the home and I want them to enjoy their retirement.

Please don't be offended you Chessie owners, but I do wonder if the Chesapeake Bay Retriever might be in danger of becoming a "status dog" amongst wildfowlers?

IMG-20180302-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20180310-WA0009.jpg

Edited by Diabolo
spelling

A good looking dog. Does he have the double coat of a lab ? I seriously thought about getting a springer this year as most of my fowling is inland these days, but I have seen some very miserable wet springers wallowing in the bottom of a creek on a cold day. Ended up with yet another lab , a bit too highly bred for my needs ( only 4 dogs in her 5 generation pedigree are not field champions ), but she is turning out to be a cracker in training. Looking forward on how she will do on the marsh.

I've had a good close look at her coat after she's been in water: the long guard hairs dry quickly after a shake, next to the skin she's bone dry, very fine fur trapping the air I would guess, so bodes well!

My main 'fowling dog till now is a springer (his sister is a cocker  - from the same litter - but that's another story!) also has a good coat on the majority of the body, the only thin spot being along the rear of the belly. Use a neoprene coat on him in harsh conditions when not on the move, he always seems to keep his enthusiasm no matter how harsh conditions. Once I was shooting on a fresh marsh down south and was waiting for the evening flight, was having a mooch about along the margins of the "fleets" (what I would now call "dykes" in this part of the world!). The surfaces were iced over - wasn't watching him, suddenly heard a loud crash, turned round and saw a large hole mid-way across in the ice - no dog to be seen! I thought "that's the last I'll see of him till it thaws", then the thinner ice on the opposite bank started to crack and he forced his way out and up the bank! I had to try and stop him trying to jump back. he looked a bit panicked, so bid him to follow my along to where there was a sluice and got him back over. No idea why he tried to jump the fleet, a bit of a springer moment I guess! He was obviously well soaked so did my best to get him dry in the motor, but we went out for the evening flight, it was minus six and I gave up before he did!

We've had some adventures me and that old fella - he'd follow me over a cliff. If the new pup turns out half as good as him I'll be well pleased. Hope your young 'un turns out as you would like!

S0653302 (2).JPG

1 hour ago, Gerry78 said:

Diabolo nice post mate i have a fox red lab myself but your story proves theres a lot of breeds out there suitable for ducks if its in a dog its in the dog ?

Mine on pigeons waiting lol 

My opinion too Gerry, as the old saying goes "it's not the dog in the fight, it's the fight in the dog"!