squirrel shooter

Wildfowling Dogs

What wildfowling dogs do people work? I have 2 labs. A yellow bitch who works, and a fox red bitch pup who I am just training up. 

Edited by squirrel shooter
    Spelling

Have a fox red lab dog myself always favoured the fox red  the mate has black and yellow labs all great wildfowl dogs Never seen a good chocolate lab working where i shoot

SPRINGER the only dog i have currently capable, Going through a  old dog phase 15 year old Labrador still willing but past it, and his litter brother just died three months ago2  new lab pups next year i will get another pair of litter brothers these will be my third pair. 

I have always had Labradors and all of the have been Black , I cant say they are the best fowling dogs because I haven't had any other breed to compare them with . but the ones I have had have been loyal and as keen as I would like a dog to be and I have never regretted making that choice. 

I'm training a mongrel, Labrador cross Huntaway. He's got a lovely nature and seems to be coming along OK.

Cheers

Aled

I've a mad as a box of frogs spaniel and a lab. One day I will get a chessie but not till the other 2 are past it

23 hours ago, fandango said:

Chesapeake and a old lab for me

How did you find training a Chesapeake heard they are a bit head string, but great wildfowling dogs. Is yours a dog or bitch? 

Yes, they definately have a head full of string. The trick though, is knowing how to unravel it!

They aren`t so much head strong as differently wired than, say, a lab. I`ve always found them quite easy to train but I would not recommend one as a first dog. When you can turn out a well trained Lab, flatcoat or goldie, then is the time to think about a Chessie. They will require all the tricks in the trainers repetoire, not because they are hard headed, but that they have a completely different world view to most other retrievers.

I had 2 labs but down to one, older one passed at 13 1/2 earlier in the year.

Current one is 4, girlfriend wants a chessie to train next so no doubt we'll get one in a few years

I have a large black cocker, loves fowling. Maybe not the ideal dog but he does all I want for my needs and is good all round. 

Springers up till now, both 12 years old next month so succession plan in place and going well. Will therefore be debuting my Lincolnshire Red Goose Dog second half of coming season.

bess18.JPG

8 hours ago, Diabolo said:

Springers up till now, both 12 years old next month so succession plan in place and going well. Will therefore be debuting my Lincolnshire Red Goose Dog second half of coming season.

bess18.JPG

Gotta say that is one lovely looking dog. :good:

My Black Lab under a stunning moon

20171103_222433-1494x2656.jpg

And again with a well deserved burger....which he demolished in less than 10 seconds. :lol:

20180104_044357-1494x2656.jpg

20180104_044419-1494x2656.jpg

20180104_044521-1494x2656.jpg

Edited by Ttfjlc