Sign in to follow this  
Proudly

Laid Barley...

How would you approach shooting laid barley. Decoys set up on stakes in the standing barley with a whirly & leave the patch clear for incoming birds to target. Or decoys in the patch itself? 

Edited by Proudly

Shot a laid patch last week, worly to the front edge with the decoys each  side a little back leaving a flight path through the middle. Ment to say decoys ,shells just thrown on barly

had 139 worked on the day

Edited by blackthorn

I would pack the flat area with decoys (hopefully they can be seen from distance) and perhaps have a magnet or flapper between those and yourself.

Finished the day with 59 picked & must have lost over a dozen even though we swept the area a few times. My young cocker done ok although she lacks experience. On the way back to the car the dog picked another so 60. There were so many birds I lost my composure & accuracy lol. Could’ve easily shot over 100 had we had the full day there. Grateful to PW member MarkM for the invite.

43DFD573-505B-455A-B369-055FDA51177E.jpeg

Well done, I had a good look around the barley fields today on my permission and never seen a thing even on the flattened patches

As said Daz I was lucky due to an invite, this is not my permission. My farm has nothing but hay fields atm. I shot 2 pigeons & a few corvids so this was a treat for me.