Slow day in the gunshop ... or ...

PPP

Visited the gunshop at the weekend to pick up a few things and was told by the owner that the local police were cracking down on unfilled slots on licences and low use of ammunition with a  view to withdrawing the calibre.  I can understand that this may well be the case at renewal but mid-term seems a bit off.

Has anyone experienced this mid term?

Edited by PPP

are they being a bit ****y?? could understand it if you were over your quota  ..what about the homeloaders you can buy everything apart from primers over the counter ..would they be counting you primers to verify the amount you have/use ..if true seems a bit dracoanian

What is low use of ammunition I wonder? On the basis, to have an FAC granted, you have to show "Good reason", if the slot isn't filled, I can understand losing it. But I'm not aware that a FAC holder has to use "X" rounds per annum, or lose the licence. Equally, is there a minimum amount of foxes pa to justify having a centre fire or likewise rabbits with a 22lr? What about FAC air? And then there are the periods when rabbits or foxes aren't in abundance, or more time is given to crop protection with the shotgun for a few months. Am I expected to surrender my 22lr as the rabbit numbers are down on my perms due to a variety of reasons. Then re apply next year when they are up again? 

I think there is a bit of manipulation of the truth going on.

Just my thoughts.

No it is not a sales gimmick  they are clamping down on low use and un filled slots but at renewal , as others have said what do you term as low use  I brought 200 rounds of .243 2 years ago just before renewal  they could well last me till my next renewal its not for the want of trying I am out with it 2 to 3 times a week  but without the need for re zeroeing  you don't pull the trigger that often.

12 minutes ago, snow white said:

The farmer where i life lost is 22lr through not buying enough ammo but kept other rifle.

At renewal or mid term?

28 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

thanks there are 4 within 20 miles of south Oxon not including just cartridges

Google shows 14 within 20 miles of home, plus I know of two others.... only now use two though..

I'm pretty sure if you had a chicken perm for example, and you popped two foxes per year, the farmer would argue good reason on the shooters behalf. Similarly, 20 rabbits a year keeping them off the crops would be good reason. Some on here get through thousands of rounds of .22. I'm sure others, as Tides edge has pointed out, sometimes you don't get through a huge amount per year even if you're out 2/3 times a week.

6 hours ago, marsh man said:

The only two i know that might be near to you are Robert Tilney of Beccles or Richardson of Halesworth .

Nah there's a few, mallard barn in Wattisham, Radcliffes in Colchester EAG in Ipswich are my closest. Mallard is the only one I use though. 

I was told they are clamping down on FAC holders who are using a farm to get there FAC but when plod phones up and ask when was the last time the holder shot there and the farmer says he hasn't for ages they revoking there FAC lack of use dont need it 

Does any of this come from HO guidelines or is it the police's very broad interpretation of something obscure anyway?

Who decides what level of usage makes up good reason? could be a shooter with a charlie calibre uses it occasionally at lambing time and only offs 2 foxes. In my eyes and I would think those of others especially Mr Farmer this is 'good reason'

I suppose if a shooter wanted to be extravagant he/she could zero their rifle/s x  times a week and use an extraordinary amount of ammo. Would the FEO then question high usage. Heads I win tails you lose.??? 

9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

You could buy 20 rounds of centre fire ammo and take 4 large deer per year for 5 years.

thats an incredibly low ammo use but mort than enough good reason. 

Suppose it depends how willing someone is to roll over ... 

Got to agree with this. How can they determine if you should or shouldn't have a calibre purely on ammo used. Ive spoken with my fao and they say about showing experience and shots fired to open a ticket, my reply to that is if I go out for a deer, I'm hoping to take one shot, not a box of 20... If I go out on fox, I may not even see one... So how can shots fired be used as a you cant have it anymore... 

Sounds dodgy to me.