Slow day in the gunshop ... or ...

PPP

2 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

I was told they are clamping down on FAC holders who are using a farm to get there FAC but when plod phones up and ask when was the last time the holder shot there and the farmer says he hasn't for ages they revoking there FAC lack of use dont need it 

These were almost the exact words of my FEO who also the time before last renewal gave me a friendly warning about my low rimfire ammo purchase, although I agree 500 rounds can take for ever if you only use them for actual vermin control I have since upped my useage and simply use the gun a lot more for general plinking too. 

1 hour ago, Hamster said:

These were almost the exact words of my FEO who also the time before last renewal gave me a friendly warning about my low rimfire ammo purchase, although I agree 500 rounds can take for ever if you only use them for actual vermin control I have since upped my useage and simply use the gun a lot more for general plinking too. 

This is why I blat through a few hundred over year 'zero-ing'.

1 hour ago, Green hornet said:

Well I’m ******** then my licence has no ammo purchases written on.I  reload my own and expanding bullets no longer need to be written 

My rfd still writes them on to cover everyone plus it’s logged on his system . 

You can refuse but it’s not for his benefit. 

Sorry chaps 

good reason means just that 

if you have a good reason to acquire a 243 ie deer stalking and you haven’t acquired it 2.1/2 years later you didn’t have a good reason as for ammunition usage it’s a case of use it or lose it talk to you flo upon renewal and establish what you use it for and the expectations of ammunition use especially if you Reloding your own 

i personally keep a log with all data and amounts loaded and have never had a problem 

please don’t expect a grant of hundreds of rounds if you only fire 5 a year 

we live in different times

all the best 

of 

27 minutes ago, norfolk dumpling said:

Dosn't the law have better things to do with their time than monitoring shell useage - like catching 'county lines' drug/knife crime kids? This is a bit like saying if your car only did 500 miles between MOT's you lose your licence and have to get a bus.

Would you expect them to let you keep 1000 gallons of petrol incase you decide to use it more? 

Excuse my ignorance, but can they actually do this legally?  If you're deemed sufficiently responsible to own a firearm, and if you have permission and access to use it on ground that's been deemed suitable, how on earth can an FCO arbitrarily pull from the sky a number of rounds that you're mandated to discharge on that land. Sorry, but that's nonsense.

16 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Excuse my ignorance, but can they actually do this legally?  If you're deemed sufficiently responsible to own a firearm, and if you have permission and access to use it on ground that's been deemed suitable, how on earth can an FCO arbitrarily pull from the sky a number of rounds that you're mandated to discharge on that land. Sorry, but that's nonsense.

They can do what they see fit in the interest of public safety 

if you express a good reason to have and use a firearm on a piece of ground or a club and don’t use it !!! You don’t have a good reason 

im afraid saying you want a elephant gun just incase there’s a maurauding elephant on your permission won’t do 

sadly nonsense or not they make and interpret the rules as they see fit 

a classic example is the deer stalking certificate 

If you haven’t done the course in my area you won’t get a deer caliber rifle sanctioned for deer 

1 minute ago, Retsdon said:

Not quite sure how public safety is being jeopardized by someone shooting four foxes a year rather than forty. 

1 minute ago, Retsdon said:

Not quite sure how public safety is being jeopardized by someone shooting four foxes a year rather than forty. 

But plinking off the other 186 rounds or not being very proficient because you only use the rifle once a year 

who is the safest 

the man who shoots 250 foxes or the man who shoots 4 ? 

Your flo has to make this desision 

Please remember the powers that be want any excuse to get rid of legally held guns 

Im  sure there are plenty of Fox /deer caliber rifles that haven’t come out of the cabinet for years for various reasons no danger to public safety but why do people keep them just incase 

the original post was a gentle warning that half way through a grant the slot hadn’t been filled think about it does the good reason still exist 

just my thoughts 

of 

23 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

They can do what they see fit in the interest of public safety 

if you express a good reason to have and use a firearm on a piece of ground or a club and don’t use it !!! You don’t have a good reason 

im afraid saying you want a elephant gun just incase there’s a maurauding elephant on your permission won’t do 

sadly nonsense or not they make and interpret the rules as they see fit 

a classic example is the deer stalking certificate 

If you haven’t done the course in my area you won’t get a deer caliber rifle sanctioned for deer 

When did it become a requirement to have your DSC? 

17 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Please remember the powers that be want any excuse to get rid of legally held guns 

Exactly! So - and no offence intended - why justify their pretexts? Why shouldn't a proven responsible person not have a .222 in his cabinet to shoot the odd fox on his ground? Because the next logical progression from a minimum round count is that nobody at all but a specially certified and licensed vermin 'controller' should be granted a firearms certificate for foxes, and that rifles for deer stalking only be allowed to those who can demonstrate that they pay for sporting rights on  nationally certified ground. And any other application will forthwith be considered negatively.

Once you concede the first step it's not the end of the war  - you' just find yourself battling not to concede the second step, and so on and so forth. Logically, it can be argued that any firearm at all is a potential threat to public safety. So it's futile to argue on those terms. Far better to argue on the basis of principle. It' shouldn't be up to the Powers That Be to grant selected individuals the favour of a license. It should be their responsibility to say why you CAN'T have one.

On 07/07/2018 at 13:44, button said:

When did it become a requirement to have your DSC? 

Nothing to do with a requirement unfortunately, I had to do a centre fire awareness course, now people in my area have to do dsc1. Its the interpretation by indavidual forces and if you say no, they say no. You have no way of winning the arguement. 

43 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Nothing to do with a requirement unfortunately, I had to do a centre fire awareness course, now people in my area have to do dsc1. Its the interpretation by indavidual forces and if you say no, they say no. You have no way of winning the arguement. 

I was given the choice at the time find someone that’s done the course to mentor you for awhile or do the dsc1.I went the mentor route and they was happy with that. 

50 minutes ago, Green hornet said:

I was given the choice at the time find someone that’s done the course to mentor you for awhile or do the dsc1.I went the mentor route and they was happy with that. 

Don't get mentor option now, as its easy to fill in a spreadsheet to say you've been out.. Bit harder to get a dsc cert 

3 hours ago, Green hornet said:

best option from what i have heard. rather learn from someone who knows what there doing in the field than a textbook:yes: to be fair you will learn things on the course dates etc that you may not of had stuck in your head before