North Yorkshire Roe Buck and Hare

ab1964

This Past Friday I worked a half day and planned to do a few hours pigeon & crow shooting on my landlord’s farm.

Walking out to where I was to set-up the hide and decoys – a hare jumped out of the grass and ran for it. Amazingly, as he zigged and zagged, my shot made contact. As I walked toward the hare to put him in the bag, a Roe Buck jumped out of a nearby hedge and ran toward a small wood at the bottom of the farm. Over the wall and into the wood he went.

As it was very warm and flies started to collect on the Hare - I walked the two miles back to the house to gut and chill the hare.

After taking care of the hare, I thought the Buck was probably still in the wood. It's not a very big wood, a couple acres surrounded by open fields. My guess was he'll be there till dark before moving out. A game cam I set up in the wood a few months ago caught a doe and buck bedding down in there during the day.

Grabbing my rifle I stalked down to the wood, the wind was perfectly in my face - and I quietly made it to the edge of the wood. And there he was, browsing, about fifty yards away. Now I just had to wait for a safe shot. There is lots of cover in the wood and it was difficult to see what was beyond the buck.

He finally walked into a small "tunnel" of openness where between me, the deer, and high ground beyond, there was a clear view. The shot rang out and his hind legs gave a good kick. Down he went. The bullet entry was little more left of the shoulder than I wanted, but as the deer was not 100% broadside to me, it traveled at an angle through the deer - piercing shredding its heart. There was divine intervention with that shot.

It was a good day - though the pigeons or crows were safe.

image.png

Edited by ab1964

nice little buck...we don't shoot the hares round my area they are few and far between ..took a friend out metal detecting the other week we put up 2 in a small field he remarked that they were the first he had seen for many a year ..last year on the same farm I watched 2 bucking ,,had quite forgotten the antics they got up to

After shooting the hare there was instant regret as they are not that plentiful - though this year I've been seeing more hares than I've seen around here for sometime. Not to mention me wife was none too pleased - and a member of my landlords family politely asked I refrain shooting them in the future.

All that said - hares are off the future shooting menu.

It was still good sport, shooting, and making contact with the zigzagging beast.

Edited by ab1964

when I lived up north I had a rough shoot over semi moorland  twas near gisburn ..the hares were quite a problem on the pasture fields I used a 222rem on them ..55 grain home load incredibly accurate round head shots every time ...I can remember when I drove for the MMB , driving  through the Gisburn Park estate and seeing literaly 100s of hares laid out after they held the estate annual hare shoot ..in the old days mothers hare stew...hare pie and roast saddle of hare were a regular item on the table