Navy Diver

la bala

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Mice! said:

heard it on the radio this morning, i was thinking roping a few kids together with scuba gear and leading them out would be fairly straightforward, obviously not.

Most of them can’t swim, and most of the passages are barely big enough for 1 person to fit through, let alone loads of people with full scuba gear... they've also said the water if full of dirt or something so even with high powered torches they can barely see a few cm in front of their faces.

Would be my worst nightmare! 

43 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Most of them can’t swim, and most of the passages are barely big enough for 1 person to fit through, let alone loads of people with full scuba gear... they've also said the water if full of dirt or something so even with high powered torches they can barely see a few cm in front of their faces.

i realise that Lloyd, i used to really enjoy caving as a kid, now I would get stuck.

that's why i said rope them together then you walk or crawl along the bottom, given the choice of staying put or trying to get out? Water levels are going to rise so just hope they do get out soon.

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Me too. Freak out massively.

1 minute ago, lord_seagrave said:

RIP

I must admit, I haven’t been following the whole story, and haven’t read how they got in there in the first place? Did they go exploring before the rain, and then got trapped by flood water - is that it?

LS

yep that's about what happened, been following the story, now looks like they can't stay put until the water recedes so they have started to teach the kids how to scuba

7 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Watched it on the news tonight and it’s a 12 hour round trip for the rescuers. 

Roughly 2 miles and takes 7 tanks of air to get there. It’s crazy.

i don’t know why anyone would volunteer but luckily they do for our sake. 

didn't realise it was anything like that, i was thinking it was going to be a couple of hours given they haven't dived before.

a lad at work said the group had been in the caves a few times before but went further this time and were cut off by the water??

This is a serious dive! There are two underwater restrictions where you have to remove your cylinder/s and "push them through the hole before you go through! The visibility is less than 10cm (4 inchs) and one of the sumps is 30m (100 feet deep)! Not an easy dive for a very experienced cave diver!

This video shows a few restrictions, but in pristine conditions, but experienced divers.

thailandrescuechildren0307.jpg?w968h681

It's a very long way to swim. It needed British cave divers who hold the world record for distance diving to reach these kids. There's an article from 2013 in The Times about these blokes and the kind of things they do https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-cavern-club-kmckhc686sd that's well worth the quick and free registration process to read. This is the kind of diving that's way beyond the capacity of normal people and, you'd have to think, simply impossible for children who don't yet even  know how to swim.

To be honest, it would seem that the only hope of getting them out is to sink a shaft and lift them out  -  and that seems to be what the authorities are  working on at the moment. The problem is the weather. We've had a bit of a dry spell for the last few days (my house is about 15 miles from where this cave is) but it rained cats and dogs last night and although it's cleared up a bit this morning the forecast is for more rain. There's at least another 3 months of the rainy season and the heaviest rainfall yet to come so they can't be left there until the water recedes.  Also, it was reported that the air quality in the cave they're trapped in is becoming an issue. 

So it's all looking a bit grim quite frankly. Anyway, kudos to the kids. After 9 days trapped in the pitch dark underground they're in remarkably good spirits. Here's praying that somehow or other there can be a happy ending to this.

Edited by Retsdon

9 minutes ago, silver pigeon69 said:

This is a serious dive! There are two underwater restrictions where you have to remove your cylinder/s and "push them through the hole before you go through! The visibility is less than 10cm (4 inchs) and one of the sumps is 30m (100 feet deep)! Not an easy dive for a very experienced cave diver!

This video shows a few restrictions, but in pristine conditions, but experienced divers.

Just watching that video makes my skin crawl! Doing it in real life would be the stuff of nightmares.

3 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Just watching that video makes my skin crawl! Doing it in real life would be the stuff of nightmares.

It took me 20+ years of diving, 6 of those(prior to this video) of Diving at least once, sometimes 3 times a day, nearly every day, to get to this level! I have been out of it for 6 years now and would not like to do the dive facing the Thai Kids, without a few weeks of training/build up dives!

just read the article Retsdon, wow,

"But they can't stop because they have to know what is around the corner"

I think were all like this, are there rabbits around the corner but not when your a few kilometres under ground.

When i went caving in Yorkshire I was at school, utterly fearless who thinks about getting stuck when your 12 or 13 years old, but just reading that article has you taking some deep breaths.

I'll watch the video later silver pigeon.

As for the kids, there going to need a lot of luck let's hope it turns out like the Chilean miners and they get out.

19 hours ago, Retsdon said:

So you're in the video?!?! Gosh, I take my hat off to you. 

I'm the one with blue fins.

9 hours ago, ph5172 said:

I saw his picture and thought he looks looks a genuinely nice guy. Strange how you can look at a picture and think that but it just struck me. 

Apparently he was retired but came out of retirement to help. I too thought he looked like a genuinely nice guy. Very sad and shows how difficult the dive must be.

22 hours ago, silver pigeon69 said:

wow, nothing else to say.