Navy Diver

la bala

BBC news today: divers will begin to walk the boys and teacher out of the cave. Fingers crossed.  BBC Breakfast this morning carried an interview with cave diver Geoff Crossley who has undertaken a similar type of rescue in the UK. Reading between the lines a significant unknown factor and danger will be panic which could endanger both the rescuer and schoolboy. I wish them well.

On 7 July 2018 at 01:51, silver pigeon69 said:

It took me 20+ years of diving, 6 of those(prior to this video) of Diving at least once, sometimes 3 times a day, nearly every day, to get to this level! I have been out of it for 6 years now and would not like to do the dive facing the Thai Kids, without a few weeks of training/build up dives!

I too did over 20 years of diving. 15 yrs as diving instructor and Practical Rescue Management Instructor. (Out of it for 4yrs now) I was never drawn to cave diving although, paradoxically, I did do wreck penetration here and abroad. With this background I am following the rescue with particular interest.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 07/07/2018 at 01:32, silver pigeon69 said:

This is a serious dive! There are two underwater restrictions where you have to remove your cylinder/s and "push them through the hole before you go through! The visibility is less than 10cm (4 inchs) and one of the sumps is 30m (100 feet deep)! Not an easy dive for a very experienced cave diver!

This video shows a few restrictions, but in pristine conditions, but experienced divers.

And you did this for fun ?...luckily my belly would stop me from going down anything smaller or wetter than the Blackwall Tunnel ! 

It takes a special kind of person to do that , the guy that died , experienced as he was shows just how dangerous the task is ..I wish them all the luck in the world , they will need it .. 

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/08/thailand-cave-rescue-begins-four-boys-freed

4 kids out today( yesterday?) they are hoping to do the same again.

There was a lot of helicopter activity here earlier( my house is near the 'old airport' that's being used as a helicopter base) from about seven to nine-thirty, but it's died down a bit now (12pm) . Presumably they were ferrying key rescue personnel and their equipment back up to the cave area. They say that the same divers who performed the rescue yesterday will (hopefully) complete a duplicate operation later today when all the prep has been done. The weather has been a boon. There's some cloud about but so far the rain has held off . Here's hoping.

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

There was a lot of helicopter activity here earlier( my house is near the 'old airport' that's being used as a helicopter base) from about seven to nine-thirty, but it's died down a bit now (12pm) . Presumably they were ferrying key rescue personnel and their equipment back up to the cave area. They say that the same divers who performed the rescue yesterday will (hopefully) complete a duplicate operation later today when all the prep has been done. The weather has been a boon. There's some cloud about but so far the rain has held off . Here's hoping.

hello, you actually live in Thailand???

7 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, you actually live in Thailand???

Yes and no. We have a house here in Chiang Rai, and I used to live and work here full time for about 9 years. But then I had to go to make some proper money so these days I spend 9 months a year in Saudi. But at the moment I'm on holiday, back in my home, and pretty close to where this drama is going down. Above i posted 15 miles, but on reflection it's probably closer to 30. Anyway, close enough to see and hear the helicopter activity between the cave and the town.

Incidentally, if this thing succeeds, an enormous amount of the credit should go to the ex-governor of Chiang Rai province, a bloke called Narongsak Osottanakorn. Although he'd already basically been sacked for his anti-corruption stance, the military government allowed him to continue with overseeing this whole rescue thing. Sure, the divers underground are the heroes, but this fellow's logistical organization and, at difficult times, basic life and death strategic decisions have been spot on. The people of Chiang Rai are really upset to see him go.

But in a military dictatorship,  what can you do? Here's a link  - http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2018/07/04/cave-rescue-saves-governors-job-at-least-for-now/ No criticism of his sacking in the article because - well .....

16 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Yes and no. We have a house here in Chiang Rai, and I used to live and work here full time for about 9 years. But then I had to go to make some proper money so these days I spend 9 months a year in Saudi. But at the moment I'm on holiday, back in my home, and pretty close to where this drama is going down. Above i posted 15 miles, but on reflection it's probably closer to 30. Anyway, close enough to see and hear the helicopter activity between the cave and the town.

hello, thankyou to reply, i can understand you working in Saudi, i was in Thailand about 8 years ago when a lot of foreign nationals had to sell up their bars and property or other business assets due to the economy and new rules i believe from the Thai goverment, my last trip in 2012 saw increasing number of Russians and Chinese, i have been up north as far as Korat but my friends were most in Bangkok or Pattaya, i must say i did get on well with the Thai people but not sure i will ever go back, i heard 4 more boys have been rescued so thats good news, cheers  

The north is a bit different to Pattaya and Bangkok.And, to be honest, our biggest tourist issue is Thais from Bangkok. For some reason, over the last 5-8 years Chiang Rai has become 'the destination' for rich Bangkok society, and their money and influence has transformed the town  - and not all for the good. Yes, there are more places to buy a good bottle of wine or whatever, but the traffic has become a nightmare and the whole place has lost its cohesive identity. But people are making money and that's all that seems to count nowadays. Anyway, off topic!

Fantastic result from some incredible people. Just looking at the video's the control is amazing. I would not do that in a dry cave let alone one with water in. Very very brave. 

Off to the Philippines diving in December but i wont be going in any caves ?

12 minutes ago, Scully said:

Fabulous fabulous news! Some extremely brave, selfless and skilled people involved, and no small credit to the lads involved either. Fantastic result all round.

Let's just hope the film isn't a Spielberg one full of mulch and sentimentality! ?

LOl or an american flag in there somewhere

Edited by oowee

On 08/07/2018 at 08:57, Bobba said:

BBC news today: divers will begin to walk the boys and teacher out of the cave. Fingers crossed.  BBC Breakfast this morning carried an interview with cave diver Geoff Crossley who has undertaken a similar type of rescue in the UK. Reading between the lines a significant unknown factor and danger will be panic which could endanger both the rescuer and schoolboy. I wish them well.

I too did over 20 years of diving. 15 yrs as diving instructor and Practical Rescue Management Instructor. (Out of it for 4yrs now) I was never drawn to cave diving although, paradoxically, I did do wreck penetration here and abroad. With this background I am following the rescue with particular interest.

I like my wrecks as well! HMS Victoria, Lebabnon. HMS Hermes, Sri Lanka. (I wrote an article for Dive mag on the work opening up a new area of the Zenobia)

On 09/07/2018 at 15:41, Retsdon said:

Incidentally, if this thing succeeds, an enormous amount of the credit should go to the ex-governor of Chiang Rai province, a bloke called Narongsak Osottanakorn. Although he'd already basically been sacked for his anti-corruption stance, the military government allowed him to continue with overseeing this whole rescue thing. Sure, the divers underground are the heroes, but this fellow's logistical organization and, at difficult times, basic life and death strategic decisions have been spot on. The people of Chiang Rai are really upset to see him go.

But in a military dictatorship,  what can you do? Here's a link  - http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2018/07/04/cave-rescue-saves-governors-job-at-least-for-now/ No criticism of his sacking in the article because - well .....

and that he was not too proud to ask for external assistance!

6 minutes ago, norfolk dumpling said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned but I heard one brief comment that every recovery involved Brit divers and without them it would not have been successful. Also on news last night ManU are arranging for all lads to attend a game at Old Trafford - no big deal I suppose. Just one weeks wages for Sanchez!

Unnecessary? Mouth. Horse. Gift. Perhaps. I'm sure the youngsters would appreciate it.

12 minutes ago, norfolk dumpling said:

Also on news last night ManU are arranging for all lads to attend a game at Old Trafford

I do wonder if the 'celebrity status' placed on these boys following their ordeal may prove more damaging than the ordeal itself.  It was a problem for some of the Chilean (?) miners who were released after a long entrapment.  I am not expert here, but there have been pieces written suggesting that this may have long term effects (PTSD etc.) and that a return to a 'normal' life must be a priority.

It is a thoughtful gesture, but is it the right thing to do?  I am unconvinced.