The gouse

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Pistol p said:

I’m hosing the lawn right now. What are they going to do? Send the police around? They shut our police station 6 years ago. 

+1 can you just imagine the police getting a call “my neighbor is washing the car & there is a hosepipe ban” they can’t be bothered to come out when your car gets stolen or house gets burgled ?

Edited by blackbird

Bearing in mind we have 3 very significant water leaks coming up through the road within half a mile of here (all reported regularly)  ...... which made the roads like ice rinks in the winter ...... perhaps the Water Company will eventually get around to fixing them.

We got a gas leak that had been there for at least 5 years fixed last summer, so perhaps this is the year for the water leak fixes.

Police will come soon enough if teh tap from which they fill their kettle runs dry!

27 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Bearing in mind we have 3 very significant water leaks coming up through the road within half a mile of here (all reported regularly)  ...... which made the roads like ice rinks in the winter ...... perhaps the Water Company will eventually get around to fixing them.

We got a gas leak that had been there for at least 5 years fixed last summer, so perhaps this is the year for the water leak fixes.

Police will come soon enough if teh tap from which they fill their kettle runs dry!

This is the major cause of water shortages in hot weather, nothing to do with hosepipes....Its the unrepaired leaks! I suggest we stop using hosepipes ( if neccesary?) after the water companies repair the leaks!

Edited by panoma1

Just now, panoma1 said:

Massive 30 inch water main burst in Birmingham today! Spewing out tens of thousands of gallons of water.........Lack of maintenance? Severn Trent Water ain't sayin!.........few thousand hosepipes worth of water wasted there!

Not sure how you 'maintain' water pipes?

One possibility is that the pressure has been raised to increase throughput.  In many areas, lots of new houses have been built, without any increase in the capacity of the infrastructure (roads, water supply, drainage, and very probably electricity and gas).  For water and gas, upping the pressure increases flow, but puts more strain on pipes.

Just now, JohnfromUK said:

One possibility is that the pressure has been raised to increase throughput.  In many areas, lots of new houses have been built, without any increase in the capacity of the infrastructure (roads, water supply, drainage, and very probably electricity and gas).  For water and gas, upping the pressure increases flow, but puts more strain on pipes.

Perhaps regular inspection and where indicated replacement, could be deemed 'maintenance'  

The water companies are constantly criticised by the government and OFWAT for failing to repair leaks and upgrade the infrastructure........but it seems there is little attempt to enforce compliance!

I was holidaying in Paxos, Greece,  last year. Seriously hot, dry island. Most of the houses and Villas, especially the big ones, have a massive tank built under the building durning construction, called a sterna. It holds the rain water. This is then used for showers, wc, bath, wash basins and kitchen, watering the garden etc.. when it runs short, you can then draw from the Community water, which of course  Is metered. We’ve just had the military move out locally. Thousands of new houses have been built on the old site. Did anyone think to build a Sterna into each house under the slab? The cost at that stage with all the facilities to hand would be, in the scheme of things, very low. 

Do not forget the 'fertiliser for brains' arsonists that we seem to breed up here in the North  !

Visited the trout fishery reservoir that is not too far from Belmont moor, yesterday. The water is so low that it prevents the use of the boats and has gone down by a further 20 feet in the last week  ! 

16 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, a few years back i heard a Thames Water spokesperson say it does not pay to repair every leak, this was around the time that the inner city London area was loosing 25% of its water supply with leaking mains, 

hello, i have just been back to my home town of Wantage and near my sons there has been a water leak for around 3 months, its been blue paint marked for 1 month, 

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

Perhaps regular inspection and where indicated replacement, could be deemed 'maintenance'  

The water companies are constantly criticised by the government and OFWAT for failing to repair leaks and upgrade the infrastructure........but it seems there is little attempt to enforce compliance!

hello, Thames Water fined 20 million March 2017  for pollution of the river Thames, that money would have fixed a lot of leaks or renewed a lot of old pipes

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

hello, that maybe so john but most times pipes leak is the sub soil movement, or very low temperatures and pipes freezing and in the thaw leaking  or very hot weather and sub soil movement, there are by laws for how deep pipes have to be put in the ground but it is not always the rule,   

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

My point exactly! 

hello, it started when TWA as one of many water companies in the UK decided to get rid of most employed on the maintenance and repair of the mains systems and put out to contractors, to give you an idea, Wantage had a depot with 2 managers, 1 foreman, 3 inspectors, and 3 gangs of 2 people working, each gang with 1 inspector did a 24 hour standby call out, this covered an area 20/25 square miles, that included, leak detection, leaking pipes, tapping mains to new properties, fitting meters to private property, or farmers cattle troughs, laying new mains, 

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

You have no idea!

2 hours ago, turbo33 said:

I was holidaying in Paxos, Greece,  last year. Seriously hot, dry island. Most of the houses and Villas, especially the big ones, have a massive tank built under the building durning construction, called a sterna. It holds the rain water. This is then used for showers, wc, bath, wash basins and kitchen, watering the garden etc.. when it runs short, you can then draw from the Community water, which of course  Is metered. We’ve just had the military move out locally. Thousands of new houses have been built on the old site. Did anyone think to build a Sterna into each house under the slab? The cost at that stage with all the facilities to hand would be, in the scheme of things, very low. 

We had this at our place in France- many install them and it’s no big deal as septic tanks are the norm in rural areas so chucking in a rain harvesting tank is bread n butter 

1 minute ago, panoma1 said:

OK! Then to reach such a conclusion, you must have!........please inform me! 

Well I have worked for a water company for the last 14 years, so I know a little bit about these things. Ofwat do not just criticise, there are massive financial implications for companies that don't prevent/fix leaks. Fixing big leaks are a priority, but it is not simple. Council/highways etc can prohibit work.

By the way, it is difficult to regularly inspect a water main that is underground!

3 minutes ago, motty said:

Well I have worked for a water company for the last 14 years, so I know a little bit about these things. Ofwat do not just criticise, there are massive financial implications for companies that don't prevent/fix leaks. Fixing big leaks are a priority, but it is not simple. Council/highways etc can prohibit work.

By the way, it is difficult to regularly inspect a water main that is underground!

hello, i understand what your saying motty, i worked on TWA for many years before it was contracted as i mentioned