Hosepipe ban

The gouse

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 18:05, Walker570 said:

I drove to Nuneaton yesterday evening and up the Weddington Road at 5.30pm. water was gushing across the road from a burst main an inch deep and 15ft wide. At 10.30pm when I returned it was still doing the same. Not a water company worker to be seen.  Then they tell me I should not water my veg garden.  Pathetic doesn't cover it.

Yes, but it is not as easy as just sending a crew out to fix it.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 07/07/2018 at 09:22, The gouse said:

I think you both miss the point 3 months a go we where under water and now they impose a ban. They just let water run down the road for months losing millions of gallons. Spain have very little rain fall but never inpose a ban would you not say they manage there water better than we do.

I would say a retarded chimp manages water better than we do

On 07/07/2018 at 12:36, panoma1 said:

Massive 30 inch water main burst in Birmingham today! Spewing out tens of thousands of gallons of water.........Lack of maintenance? Severn Trent Water ain't sayin!.........few thousand hosepipes worth of water wasted there!

Was that the one by Longbridge Island???

On 09/07/2018 at 10:32, Vince Green said:

Yes ground sources like rivers, streams, bore holes and wells it makes no difference, all the water belongs to the water company, you never own it.

So if i ****, it's owned by the gas board :ninja:.

On 09/07/2018 at 09:43, JDog said:

There are some very selfish attitudes displayed on this thread.

Not at all! I Just think everyone should have access to the water supply,  likewise when water is in short supply........if one feels the pain everyone should feel the pain!.....not just those the water companies choose to carry the burden,

21 hours ago, Graham M said:

Was that the one by Longbridge Island???

No the Newtown area! Dunno nowt about any burst at Longbridge?

4 hours ago, Graham M said:

Ah sorry I thought you meant a different one to that huge burst. Jeeze that one actually flooded some people's.

JS156802860.jpg

This one was in Aston

We drove past one at Longbridge and there was the other one at Newtown

hello, that is nothing new when a 24 inch large water main pipes burst 1000s of gallons of water can have a big impact on the area including the flooding of peoples homes, in September 2014 a large main burst in Blackbird Leys near Oxford, and in the Cowley Road area of Oxford in June 2014 and again in June of this year. 

8 hours ago, Graham M said:

Ah sorry I thought you meant a different one to that huge burst. Jeeze that one actually flooded some people's.

JS156802860.jpg

This one was in Aston

We drove past one at Longbridge and there was the other one at Newtown

There was also a massive burst near the QE hospital at Harborne last year which flooded houses and took months to repair, there was pandemonium on the roads Because they had to divert traffic.......lost hundreds of thousands of gallons of water!

As I said previously, unrepaired leaks and bursts are a major issue, if the water companies spent money maintaining pipework and repairing leaks rather than massive bonuses to their CEO (and others) and paying dividends to their shareholders, we, the customers, would probably never have water shortages and hosepipe bans again?

But enforcement is OFWATS job!

7 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, latest on the sky/beeb news around 5 million face a hose pipe ban, and i presume garage car washer and those pop up ones i mentioned before, not having been to a tesco outside this area have other stores one of these car wash for a fiver, ?

There is a contractual  difference between private and commercial users of water. At the time of the last ban round here the car washes stayed open. Which seemed an anomaly because having a clean car is probably the lowest priority in a shortage.

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

There is a contractual  difference between private and commercial users of water. At the time of the last ban round here the car washes stayed open. Which seemed an anomaly because having a clean car is probably the lowest priority in a shortage.

Last time we had a hose pipe ban around the northwest I was working for a car wash manufacturer and the company was paid an agreed amount per machine (100+) by N.W.W.A to modify all the high pressure machines in operation to reduce the water usage so they could continue operating and then convert back when ban was over.

All the machines were sited on petrol stations and are an important source of revenue for the owners.