Motorbike restart

millrace

So heres a question for the spanner monkeys on here...........

Wheeled me bike out after recon 10yrs in garage with plans to restart heres where im at so far....

Fuel out tank off drained

Air filter cleaned

Brakes working clutch working gears engage able to put in 3rd with clutch in push around yard 

Going to pull plugs and add little oil down to lubricate

So what else to consider before adding battery and trying to spark up....

Just to add its 02 bandit.....

Edited by millrace

02 Bandit is a ‘Carb’ version from memory so I do hope you drained the bowls /carbs before storage or it most the jets will be gummed up and need an ultrasonic clean ?

other wise what your doing and an oil change and new batt prob needed and you should be good ? 

As above suggestions plus I would squirt a mixture of fresh oil and diesel (only 5mls) through the spark plug holes and let it soak to ensure the piston rings are free of the cylinder bores. After a nights soaking, engage 2nd gear and push/bump the bike just to make sure the rings are free. It's cheaper than fitting new piston rings.

Edited by Pistol p

Well got her fired up......basically drained all i could new oil, filters carb cleaner(why not i thought) plugs out oil poured in and left to soak.......

Now for the fun part....battery in plugs out some tissue over ports....now i have to say i expected oil to come out everywhere when turning over but no just a put put across the cylinders and 4 bits of tissue moving so me thinks thats all good 4 pistons must be moving.....lol

So next plugs in all hooked up check everything tight and here we go....3 short turns umm  choke on and longer turn smoke but nothing ...ok next turn put put splutter smoke everywhere shes alive ........

Let her tick over for prob an hr sitting nicely at 1000 revs and sounds fairly good....need to book mot and i know will need to gently ride and check brakes etc but all in all many thanks for all the tips and help......

Oh yea my neighbour came out....thought there was a fire with all the smoke.....lol

good work getting it going!   To help with the stopping (!) as mentioned above, definitely some new tyres a the current ones will likely be squared off /cracked/past their best plus brake fluid change as the current stuff may have absorbed moisture/have air bubbles - both of which reduce effectiveness. Are the brake pads ok?