Zeroing a scope

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

A mate of mine is having problems zeroing his scope on a CZ 527 rifle. Basically, he's run out of elevation, and the bullets are striking approx 3 inches low. I've never had this problem, so which mount needs to be shimmed? 

Have you asked whether he wants to treat the defect or the symptom by bodging it?

Steve are you doing this on purpose? ?

Can't you remember not too long ago ? Same question and same bun fight about shimming scopes ???

If it's not the mounts that are poor quality it's the rail or action that's pants. Ooo forgot it could also be the scope that's possibly been shimmed before and got a bent tube. 

Edited by Dougy

17 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Steve are you doing this on purpose? ?

Can't you remember not too long ago ? Same question and same bun fight about shimming scopes ???

If it's not the mounts that are poor quality it's the rail or action that's pants. Ooo forgot it could also be the scope that's possibly been shimmed before and got a bent tube. 

No mate, not on purpose. I don't remember the thread about this in the past.

The mounts are CZ ones, which are made for this particular model. The scope is almost new, I believe and has been used with no problems on another rifle. I]ll check it out for him when we meet up next.

Anyway, you can't beat a good bun fight!

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

A mate of mine is having problems zeroing his scope on a CZ 527 rifle. Basically, he's run out of elevation, and the bullets are striking approx 3 inches low. I've never had this problem, so which scope ring needs to be shimmed?

rear mount 

1 piece of coke can shim and you will be fine 

i have shimmed everyone of my air rifles mounts 

23 minutes ago, Dougy said:

It was in March Steve started by Dekers. Must admit j have done it in the past but that was with cheap mounts and cheap scopes.  

:good:

23 minutes ago, steve 88 said:

try another scope, if its the same problem you have eliminated scope problem and can start looking else were for fault.

I will be seeing him soon and hopefully we can sort it out. The scope worked well on his other rifle.

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Sometimes if you reverse the mounts front to back ..back to front first.  I have had mounts which are just that little bit different, just enough you could not see it by eye until you put the calipers on.  Probably from a different machining batch. Worth a try. 

I'll mention this to him as well.?

13 hours ago, walshie said:

Yeah, it would be the rear mount that needs shimming, but I'd want to find out why before I did anything.

:yes::yes::yes:

If it worked very recently on another rifle I would certainly suggest more checking before going down the generally workaround route of shimming!

5 hours ago, Dekers said:

Oh Dear!

Why, what's wrong with all your scopes or all your rifles?

nothing but the combination of sports match low mounts, Air Arms breech and MTC scopes needs a shim to make them work 

they are all set up identically i think i pre shimmed my MPR 

3 minutes ago, quentyn said:

nothing but the combination of sports match low mounts, Air Arms breech and MTC scopes needs a shim to make them work 

Does the Air Arms breech slope in some way?

hello, not sure if this helps but when i bought my 22 CZ 455 and tested for zero on 4 different subs  i found 3 did not do well eley shot to high, CCI to low winnys all over the place, RWS perfect, Hawke rimfire scope, Hawke mounts, set up as per instructions, could try another brand of subs, 

21 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, not sure if this helps but when i bought my 22 CZ 455 and tested for zero on 4 different subs  i found 3 did not do well eley shot to high, CCI to low winnys all over the place, RWS perfect, Hawke rimfire scope, Hawke mounts, set up as per instructions, could try another brand of subs, 

I mentioned this to him, and he said that he is using the same ammunition as before. Hopefully, when I meet up with him soon, I/We can get it sorted.

2 hours ago, quentyn said:

Let's be clear here, I'm not trying to be funny but I'm lost!

Sportsmatch mounts are pretty good and better than most!

Air Arms are pretty well engineered! generally!

Nothing wrong with MTC!

Are you seriously suggesting everyone with this combination (there must be a few) have to shim, if so I simply ask again, WHY, which bit/s don't work?

Cheers :good:

I really don't understand why anyone should have to shim a scope that is fitted to a rifle unless the barrel is either  bent up or down.

I understand that now and then a poor set of rings will need to be turned around (front to back and back to front), but how on earth are those scope rings going to be so far out???

I HAVE on the other hand seen a rifle that has had a set of bases fitted that have not been part of the same set, and the back base has been lower than it should, which in turn has caused the scope to point too high ............ which in turn causes the rifle to shoot way too low.

Edited by Graham M