Zeroing a scope

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 08/07/2018 at 16:25, Dekers said:

Let's be clear here, I'm not trying to be funny but I'm lost!

Sportsmatch mounts are pretty good and better than most!

Air Arms are pretty well engineered! generally!

Nothing wrong with MTC!

Are you seriously suggesting everyone with this combination (there must be a few) have to shim, if so I simply ask again, WHY, which bit/s don't work?

Cheers :good:

well you can grab an AA S4XX/ S5XX series 

sports match low mounts

MTC viper 4-16 or similar 

they will fit physically ( it will be close on the top of the barrel) but you wont zero without shimming the rear mount 

you can ask as many times as you wish but the above needs 1 shim to get it zeroed at 35 / 40 yds 

11 hours ago, quentyn said:

well you can grab an AA S4XX/ S5XX series 

sports match low mounts

MTC viper 4-16 or similar 

they will fit physically ( it will be close on the top of the barrel) but you wont zero without shimming the rear mount 

you can ask as many times as you wish but the above needs 1 shim to get it zeroed at 35 / 40 yds 

The question was WHY, what is causing the problem?

Edited by Dekers

On 08/07/2018 at 19:05, flynny said:

Point of aim is at max elevation and point of impact/ bullet is low

Bring the scope down in elevation to hit his low point of impact????

bring POA into POI

flynny

Sorry gents, just re read the post , I gather hes ran out of downwards clicks on his scope?

Flynny

33 minutes ago, Graham M said:

Turn the scope upside down....................................

I'll get me coat...:lol:

Ahh yes, the old up for down and left for right trick - that 'll sort it. :)

3 hours ago, Graham M said:

Turn the scope upside down....................................

I'll get me coat...

If you have room to do it that is the correct answer, don't say I'll get my coat,  not to shoot it that way but to check whether the scope is actually working through its entire range of clicks. If its the mounts it will do the same both ways up. you don't actually need to shoot it if you can bore sight it

4 hours ago, Vince Green said:

If you have room to do it that is the correct answer, don't say I'll get my coat,  not to shoot it that way but to check whether the scope is actually working through its entire range of clicks. If its the mounts it will do the same both ways up. you don't actually need to shoot it if you can bore sight it

Well there you go, although I feel that If the reticle won't go far enough in one direction, I doubt turning it upside down would matter as it would be the same in the other direction.

I still can't see how an action with built in dovetails on it can be so far out as to not allow a set of mounts to line up.:hmm:

Edited by Graham M
spelling

Reminds me of a tale where chap had a similar problem with running out of elevation adjustment. Turns out he was a lefty and mounted the scope to use left handed. This meant he was trying to use the windage turret for elevation. 

7 hours ago, Graham M said:

Well there you go, although I feel that If the reticle won't go far enough in one direction, I doubt turning it upside down would matter as it would be the same in the other direction.

I still can't see how an action with built in dovetails on it can be so far out as to not allow a set of mounts to line up.:hmm:

That has been my train of thought!

Some scopes/rifles will potentially run out of adjustment at great distance.

Someone on this thread has suggested they have to shim ALL their air rifle scopes which I find virtually unbelievable at air rifle distances (35-40 yards mentioned) unless there is a problem/fault somewhere!

Edited by Dekers

13 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, did you manage to sort out the zero problem steve? 

Not yet. I mentioned to him about what's been said and suggested on here. He's going to check the rifle/scope out this coming weekend. I'm on night shifts so won't be able to help out. Hopefully, he will get it sorted.

23 hours ago, Mr.C said:

Reminds me of a tale where chap had a similar problem with running out of elevation adjustment. Turns out he was a lefty and mounted the scope to use left handed. This meant he was trying to use the windage turret for elevation. 

I've done this, just to try it. It was actually fine for 22LR out to 50 metres :)

If The scope was ok on another rifle, and it would be pretty unlikely the Cz had an accuracy issue between the rail and the barrel, the only thing that’s questionable is he is using a different set of rings. So I would suspect those first. 

And I don’t quite understand Quentins post. I’ve had loads of air rifles, Hw, Aa,Daystate, Hawke, Niko Sterling, Mtc scopes. All fitted with sports match mounts, and have never had an issue. I really don,t understand this business of shimming. Of course a scope rail machined to get out to extreme distances is different and acceptable situation. 

6 hours ago, turbo33 said:

If The scope was ok on another rifle, and it would be pretty unlikely the Cz had an accuracy issue between the rail and the barrel, the only thing that’s questionable is he is using a different set of rings. So I would suspect those first. 

And I don’t quite understand Quentins post. I’ve had loads of air rifles, Hw, Aa,Daystate, Hawke, Niko Sterling, Mtc scopes. All fitted with sports match mounts, and have never had an issue. I really don,t understand this business of shimming. Of course a scope rail machined to get out to extreme distances is different and acceptable situation. 

He sent me a text yesterday to say that 'it seems to be okay now'. I'm waiting to speak to him to see what, if anything he did.

Quite a number of the comments on this thread don't seem to take into account that scopes are fragile and easily damaged.

A lot of scopes have quite delicate threads on the adjustment mechanism, they can be damaged quite easily if dropped, even lightly,  or over enthusiastically tightened beyond the limit of its travel. If you ever get an old broken scope make a point of cutting it open to see all the workings inside, its an education.

Edited by Vince Green

Gah this was meant to be a reply to turbo33's post but quoting doesnt seem to be working 

i am just speaking from experience, i like the lowest mounts possible. After being forced to shim my S510 and MPR i just got into the habit. I also hate to have to dial in huge amounts of elevation before I have even started shooting. I much prefer the scope to be around the optical center when I shoot ( no technical reason I just mentally prefer it this way) 

Anyway your mileage may vary  

Edited by quentyn
missed quote

On 17/07/2018 at 22:39, quentyn said:

Gah this was meant to be a reply to turbo33's post but quoting doesnt seem to be working 

i am just speaking from experience, i like the lowest mounts possible. After being forced to shim my S510 and MPR i just got into the habit. I also hate to have to dial in huge amounts of elevation before I have even started shooting. I much prefer the scope to be around the optical center when I shoot ( no technical reason I just mentally prefer it this way) 

Anyway your mileage may vary  

Thats the point of the elevation adjustment optics. Why would you want to put a perfectly engineered sensitive optic tube on the same perfectly engineered mounts, that are fitted to a block/rail that again, is machined with absurd accuracy and  then lever up one end with a piece of coke can? 

Edited by turbo33

4 hours ago, turbo33 said:

Thats the point of the elevation adjustment optics. Why would you want to put a perfectly engineered sensitive optic tube on the same perfectly engineered mounts, that are fitted to a block/rail that again, is machined with absurd accuracy and  then lever up one end with a piece of coke can? 

Exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!