William Dunlop

the enigma

Bloody **ll....awfull....heres me trying to get a bike going with excited kids looking out window.....he was always singing pics and meeting ppl at nw200 pits on friday evenings racing or not.....thought he had had enough with the misses and kids by his side now.....how will md take this.....???

33 minutes ago, millrace said:

Bloody **ll....awfull....heres me trying to get a bike going with excited kids looking out window.....he was always singing pics and meeting ppl at nw200 pits on friday evenings racing or not.....thought he had had enough with the misses and kids by his side now.....how will md take this.....???

Aye, there's some family pics on his twitter account, breaks your heart.

Watching the TT, these guys are moments from death. Circuit racing has as much development in safety as possible and its always ongoing. No such gravel traps and run off areas with Williams passion. They are borderline insane. Incredibly sad, but also inevitable. Thoughts are with the family.

Edited by turbo33

Poor poor kids.

i had to sell my bikes due to a few crashes /being stretched off a  trackafter I couldn’t feel my legs. It just wasn’t fair on my family . My parents were worried about my health , 5 bones in one crash. 

I can see why they race but maybe after family is on the seen it changes everything.

before anyone says I’ve no idea I’ve been there a lot and lost a lot of friends and seen how it hits the family. 

I hope it was quick exit  for him with little pain 

I was lucky enough to get a trip around the TT course in one of the safety cars a couple of years ago. We picked up William on the way round the circuit, he gave us a fantastic commentary for the rest of the lap. Nice guy and gone far to early. One thing though, he knew the risks and he died doing what he loves, just a shame he leaves his family.

Very sad news however I can't help thinking if you continue road racing with dependent kids you are extremely selfish. I've been to the TT several times and think it is an incredible spectacle but there have been deaths every time I've been. Seeing the young family of Paul Shoesmith the morning after he was killed filled me with anger. Those two kids will never see their father and all for what? Trying to go faster round a road? I would never call for the TT or other road races to be banned but totally disagree with people doing it with young families. 

wasabi i can see where you are coming from but unless you have raced yourself you will never know the feeling that you get and what drives you to keep trying to be the best

its not just motorcycling every winning sportsman will put the sport first and themselves and there family last  you always know the risks you take but put them away always thinking it will never happen to you 

you are not forced to race and as with any other sport that has danger you can not just take part if you have no dependants  that statement is just daft

4 hours ago, nobbyathome said:

wasabi i can see where you are coming from but unless you have raced yourself you will never know the feeling that you get and what drives you to keep trying to be the best

its not just motorcycling every winning sportsman will put the sport first and themselves and there family last  you always know the risks you take but put them away always thinking it will never happen to you 

you are not forced to race and as with any other sport that has danger you can not just take part if you have no dependants  that statement is just daft

It ain't daft. I regularly do track days on a gsx r 750. There are risks involved but they are managed. The risks in road racing are massive. Doing it with dependant children is saying you are happy for them to grow up without ever seeing you again. 

no its not   track days are fun but safe unless you overcook it   racing for a living is completely different and you have to have a different mindset 

i had children when i raced  and most of my main competitors had  children  and you do not ever believe they will grow up alone  if you did you wouldnt race

3 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Every time a boxer steps into the ring, it could prove fatal. Are boxers selfish? Sky-diving, swimming and surfing each account for more deaths than motorcycling.

Totally different league. Boxing claims one or two a year on average. The TT - one race event - claims  more than that each year. But I'll agree to disagree.

That form of road racing is madness really, yes I know nobody makes them do it so lets not get into that debate. The extreme danger is the buzz but twenty odd years ago these bikes were hitting 110-120 mph. Now they are doing 190. Now I know if you hit a wall at 110 you will still be dead but the higher speeds reduce your time to react by roughly half.