The Easy Way to go Pigeon Shooting

I was called out on wednesday to shoot some corvids around some barns and cottages and when I arrived the all I could see was the roof tops covered with corvids mainly jackdaws and carrion crows.  So I set up on the back of the barns and I had brought my hushpower as not to create too much noise for the residents. After three hours in direct sunlight I'd had enough. During my time in the sweatbox of a hide I did notice a strong flightline to the turnip field and made a mental note.

So Saturday morning collect DB and decide what was the plan of action, DB dismissed my flightline theory as that was on Wednesday and we drove out to two barley fields only to find the seed rock hard and no birds, we looked at standing wheat but could not find any that had blow holes. We did find one twenty acre wheat field which had trees all around and birds dropping out of the trees into the edge of the wheat but nothing flighting. So I suggested a nice and easy situation we would watch the turnips flightline for half an hour and if it was productive we would set up for and easy day. So we drove to the farm and parked up, My grin was so wide you could detect it under the tash as fifty birds passed along the fligtline in half an hour. So drive the grass field next to the turnips passed the gear over the fence set up and shoot, simples!!!

We were set up for 13.00 and shot till 18.30 and the flightline was constant but the wind changed direction three times and some birds would come direct to the decoys others would make a large sweep and come back on themselves to the decoys others would carry on over the large wood which flanks the one side of the field. We had birds come and be shot bursting with wheat and rapeseed , we could only think that they were after the moisture out of the turnip leaves. We recon we picked up 99.9% of the birds shot not like last week in the downed barley . So it was a nice and easy session.

This will be my last report for a couple of months as my regular readers will know that I drive down to Greece each year for a couple of months for R&R. Just spare a thought for me having to force myself to sit in a cool bar drinking ice cold beer just to allow me to use the WiFi and read Pigeon Watch and the exploits of JDog and Motty on the stubbles. Please keep reporting your exploits as it is entertaining to read and keep the forum going. 

IMG_1322.jpg

38 corvids

100_3186.jpg

172 in picture the dog found six others 178 for the day

10 minutes ago, yickdaz said:

I try to go for the easy option if it is there, ,no point sweating and hauling  if it can be made easier  not a bad way to sign off before you go on your jollies

I,ll post my exploits as well  over the next few months :good:

Thanks I'll try and keep sober to enjoy them!!!!!

Great report and result. I don't believe the grin would have been visible under the tash!

A nice easy pick up is always welcome. A well executed plan.

Enjoy your holiday. I will try my best to come up with some worthwhile reports. With the rape and barley stubbles that should be available in the next few days, hopefully there will be a few.

1 hour ago, JDog said:

You are getting quite cerebral in your approach to decoying in your old age.

Sadly I will not be able to contribute in your absence as I have given up shooting.

JDog, I hope this is a temporary set back due to holiday etc and not a reoccurrence of your shoulder concern. Please keep us informed of the situation.

Many thanks PC for yet another year of the most detailed and informative reports of your exploits after the pigeons. Your determination and dedication to pigeon control and our beloved sport is truly an inspiration to us all.

Have a safe journey and a good break.

Yamas

OB

Thanks for all your kind comments, I write my incorrect grammatical reports to try in inform the next generation of Pigeon Shooters of the expirence that I have gained over thirty years in the sport. It's difficult to describe " Fieldcraft " as its a sense of what you think will happen.

I mentioned to Bunny_Blaster yesterday that I had two instinctive shots on Saturday that will stay with me for ever. I had a bird approaching from the left to the decoys and another way behind. I waited till it passed the pattern to allow the second to come into range, then hit  it at approx fifty yards, the second bird spooked and was sixty yards plus in the other direction and I stoned it with the gun travelling through 180 degrees. That's what it's all about. 

Again thank you all.

I go along with all the above messages of thanks , always look forward to the Saturday night reports .

When you said Saturday was an easy day I read it twice to see if I could pick up any tips , I am all in favor of an easy day but looking at the end result I dare say quite a bit of stamina and energy was used in that heat, so if that was an easy day then i wouldn't want to be part of one of your hard ones.☺️

Have a safe journey and a relaxing holiday .......... you deserve it.