I Must Be Getting Old

marsh man

Going by the lack of reports about shooting pigeons yesterday , it seems I wasn't the only one tempted to watch the football at 3pm.

During the week I went on the Peas three afternoons , the last time was Thursday afternoon in really hot conditions , I started off with a bit of shade from the tree canopy but as the day wore on I was looking directly in the sun , by 5pm I couldn't stick it any longer so it was time to call it a day and start lugging the gear back to the motor , with the four I took for decoys and the 28 I shot that was enough for the first trip , then i walked back to pick the rest up and time I got back the second time my shirt was wet and I began to wonder if the heat is affecting my mentality .

When i was finishing off the dogs water the fieldsman pulled up and had a yarn , he said they should had cut then that day but with being delayed on the last field they are taking them up during the night and early hours in the morning .

So back to yesterday , after pottering about in the morning I was deciding to go on the stubble or watch the football , around 1.30pm I couldn't resist not having a look so off i went with just the dog , pulling up to the gate there were pigeons scattered about , possibly about 150/200 , after walking all around the field in the heat the decision was made ...... give it a miss and support the boys ...... Roll on Monday.

Well done Marsh Man, a good honest report, the weather is difficult to shoot in and I think the birds are looking for shade as well sitting in the trees catching the breeze.

We are creatures of extreme , shooting in extreme cold and heat. I'm convinced that age is just a number what you have to do is keep doing it as long as you can and with experience know when to pack up. 

Its obvious that your support had the desired effect!!!!!

hello, yes the heat has certainly made a difference with me , i was hoping to get out but by 11 am it was to hot so i will look to try this evening, your right PC when its to cold or to hot age has no bounds with me, i do not do either, and if your retired there is always another day, WE HOPE!!!!!!!  

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, yes the heat has certainly made a difference with me , i was hoping to get out but by 11 am it was to hot so i will look to try this evening, your right PC when its to cold or to hot age has no bounds with me, i do not do either, and if your retired there is always another day, WE HOPE!!!!!!!  

hello, the temp is hitting 30 now :rolleyes: 

don't know the temp here .I am sat here with my feet in a bucket of ICE and water ,,I don't do heat ..its always easier to warm up than cool down..promised my lad and the daughters fella a pop over fresh stubble this evening ..aint looking forward to it ..can see me ending up as a pile of bones and slack skin surrounded by a fatty puddle.:crazy:

THANKS to the above replies ..... Heat don't normally bother me to much as I have worked outside most of my working life although I must admit I was better in a dry cold than a really hot day.

We are on the coast and have been blessed with a north / east sea breeze lately which have brought the temp down to around 20 degrees but as you move inland the temp goes up 1 degree every couple of miles, so  ten miles inland it can be 25 / 26 degrees with little or no breeze.

People like our good friend P C who do most of his shooting in the midlands must feel the full force of the heat , but with him going in the rain , sleet and snow I am sure he find a way round these abnormal conditions.

Still , if I am honest I would sooner moan about the heat than moaning about the wet , so while it last, we who are able must get out in moderation and enjoy it , apart from death nothing in life lasts forever .

Heat hasn't stopped the pigeon movement and feeding around me. Fairly regularly at mid day they start pouring into the standing wheat. The feeding lasts till about 5.00 then they are gone. I had one good afternoon on them, able to drive and set up under a small oak tree in the hedge at the far end of the field of the moment, good shade and a little breeze. Slightest exertion was still making me sweat so much I had to keep taking my misted up sunglasses off and my eyes were dehydrating screwing with my contact lenses. Looking forward to some slightly lower temperatures this week and perhaps some stubble rather than standing corn. The very dry dusty conditions are giving Sophie bad eyes, a bit like hay fever, so with the high temps and not wanting to give unnecessary discomfort to her, I've not been out since. Getting withdrawal itchy trigger finger syndrome now though.