Brexit - merged threads

scouser

19 minutes ago, matone said:

That`s what is req`d but where will it come from ?

From Europe, funnily enough. The rise of Populism has seen the traditional left versus right divisions blurred and often eradicated altogether. They draw inspiration from taking the good stuff from both. But what they do bring to the table is a strong sense of patriotism and national identity and a distrust or loathing of the EU. If someone can tap into the dissatisfaction of Torries and Labour with the direction both parties are heading they would stand a chance. UKIP has a lot of baggage, but perhaps Farage starting a new party could do it?

The genie came out of the bottle with the Brexit referendum result. Our political establishment will not easily put it back.

Edited by TriBsa

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, TriBsa said:

From Europe, funnily enough. The rise of Populism has seen the traditional left versus right divisions blurred and often eradicated altogether. They draw inspiration from taking the good stuff from both. But what they do bring to the table is a strong sense of patriotism and national identity and a distrust or loathing of the EU. If someone can tap into the dissatisfaction of Torries and Labour with the direction both parties are heading they would stand a chance. UKIP has a lot of baggage, but perhaps Farage starting a new party could do it?

Not going to happen quick enough to save us tho` sadly!

Farage would have seen this through properly ,that`s for sure.

35 minutes ago, TriBsa said:

Hopefully, it's her that's dead (politically).  Sanity may  prevail when it dawns on MP's that to so blatantly and undemocratically defy the will of the people will have a cost. I for one will not vote again for those that betray us. Hopefully we will have a truly populist alternative to vote for at the next general election, that listens responds and above all reflects the will of the people.

Isn't that how President Trump got elected and kept his promises to drain the swamp.

14 minutes ago, matone said:

Not going to happen quick enough to save us tho` sadly!

Farage would have seen this through properly ,that`s for sure.

Exactly. There were only two possible ways for a good and clean exit. Either the EU disintigrated; which it probably will in time, or we elected a government with a mandate to get us out. Hoping a government composed of our current political establishment would do the business and uphold the referndum result was perhaps wishful thinking.

Edited by TriBsa

4 hours ago, matone said:

That`s what is req`d but where will it come from ?

Good question.

I remember watching this interview on the morning of June 24th 2016, the morning after the referendum. I think Peter Hitchens hits the nail on the head with his assessment of both the Labour and Conservative parties.

It's clear to anyone who's followed UK politics over the last 30 odd years that the main political parties have been working less and less in the interests of those they represent and more and more for their own, and their party's interests.

6 minutes ago, Mice! said:

could David Davis run for prime minister against May? Guessing he has resigned because of the soft brexit deal the government is looking at.

Surely not. He'd kill the party. I mean really kill it. That would change the Conservative's Brexit fault line into a complete, irrevocable tectonic fissure. Plus, I don't think he'd have the support. Hard Brexiteers aren't enough to get anywhere with a leadership contest. Tory Remainers and Soft Brexiteers would go with May. The result would almost certainly be a party split and a huge surge in Labour. David Davis wouldn't want that. He might sit in the dark waiting for May to decay and then look to come back in under BoJo or someone.

6 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Surely not. He'd kill the party. I mean really kill it. That would change the Conservative's Brexit fault line into a complete, irrevocable tectonic fissure. Plus, I don't think he'd have the support. Hard Brexiteers aren't enough to get anywhere with a leadership contest. Tory Remainers and Soft Brexiteers would go with May. The result would almost certainly be a party split and a huge surge in Labour. David Davis wouldn't want that. He might sit in the dark waiting for May to decay and then look to come back in under BoJo or someone.

I don't think there would be a "huge surge in labour" rather I think an opening is coming for another political party to take over and offer something revolutionary, some honest politicians! Drawn from all aspects of life it could be just what this country needs!

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I don't think there would be a "huge surge in labour" rather I think an opening is coming for another political party to take over and offer something revolutionary, some honest politicians! Drawn from all aspects of life it could be just what this country needs!

I agree. Why would there be a Huge surge to Labour?  However I do believe we are having our eyes wiped by this greedy shower

1 minute ago, krugerandsmith said:

I agree. Why would there be a Huge surge to Labour?  However I do believe we are having our eyes wiped by this greedy shower

Actually it's not our eyes that are being wiped, it's our butts!

5 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Gove seems to have changed sides! Genuine change of heart or to save his political career?

He's a man with a sail but no rudder. Sometimes I'm not sure even he knows which way he's going

Edited by chrisjpainter

Teresa May has long since handed over the Brexit negotiations to Olly Robbins, a civil servant who, while he cannot have a view officially, exuded Remain in everything he says and does. There were warning bells about this in January.

May appears to have a fundamental weakness, she fears her ministers as rivals so she has put all her trust in this man who flatters her.

Look him up on Google, all will become apparant

Edited by Vince Green

10 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

May was always always for remain and I always suspected she would stab the country in the back at the appropriate time. I hope Farage or the like sets up a new party to truly take the UK out of the EU once and for all.

This, and I have just emailed my MP saying the same

15 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

But Raab is replacing Davis not May!

I hope Mr Raab is the right man for the job, Davis was but was asked to give too much away.

Davis, it turns out wasn't even doing the negotiations,  Robbins was, He's the one that's got to go now.