Brexit - merged threads

scouser

15 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Fingers crossed for a hard brexit, but I doubt we'll get it, the majority of our politicians are determined to undo the referendum and deliver a Brexit in name only.

I think you are correct 12gauge, I'm being rather laid back about it all at the moment.

Edited by Aled

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The arrogance of the EU really does have no bounds, why do they think our immigration policy will have anything at all to do with them after brexit, they seem to genuinely believe they rule us (which to be fair they probably do at the moment) and will continue to do so, even after a hard brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/oct/02/eu-anger-over-mays-post-brexit-immigration-plan

The existing UK immigration restrictions allow workers from the 'rest of the world' to come to the UK where they meet agreed migration criteria. These restrictions results in higher levels of immigration from the rest of the world to the UK than currently come from the EU, were there is no border control. The proposed immigration policy going forward will afford equal status to anyone who meets the migration criteria with no preference for EU nationals. The post Brexit migration reports should make interesting reading :lol: at least security will be enhanced when we know who has arrived ???

At the moment, any member of the EU can come here as they have automatic right, under a hard brexit, we can let in anyone we want, or stop anyone we want, it would seem sensible to only allow those into this country that will benefit your average Joe, rather than has happened which is to flood the low skilled market, driving wages and living standards down and thereby benefiting mainly huge corporations who like to pay minimum wage. It might also encourage those same large businesses to help train UK residents where there are skill shortages.

8 minutes ago, oowee said:

The existing UK immigration restrictions allow workers from the 'rest of the world' to come to the UK where they meet agreed migration criteria. These restrictions results in higher levels of immigration from the rest of the world to the UK than currently come from the EU, were there is no border control. The proposed immigration policy going forward will afford equal status to anyone who meets the migration criteria with no preference for EU nationals. The post Brexit migration reports should make interesting reading :lol: at least security will be enhanced when we know who has arrived ???

You make that sound like we will treat the rest of the world (non EU countries) like we treat the EU now. I.E. open border policy.

When you know very well that is not what is implied or intended.
EU citizens will need some kind of visa or means test when they arrive now for the purposes of migration, rather than having the automatic rights they had before.
Whether thats the same treatment that is dished out to non EU remains to be seen, but the UK benefits gravy train needs to stop taking on passengers.

7 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

At the moment, any member of the EU can come here as they have automatic right, under a hard brexit, we can let in anyone we want, or stop anyone we want, it would seem sensible to only allow those into this country that will benefit your average Joe, rather than has happened which is to flood the low skilled market, driving wages and living standards down and thereby benefiting mainly huge corporations who like to pay minimum wage. Causing tax paying workers to make up those wages with tax credits. It might also encourage those same large businesses to help train UK residents where there are skill shortages.

:-)

Edited by Dave-G

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

You make that sound like we will treat the rest of the world (non EU countries) like we treat the EU now. I.E. open border policy.

EU citizens will need some kind of visa or means test when they arrive now for the purposes of migration, rather than having the automatic rights they had before.
Whether thats the same treatment that is dished out to non EU remains to be seen, but the UK benefits gravy train needs to stop taking on passengers.

No it will be the other way around we can treat the EU nationals like we treat the rest of the world where the majority of migrants come from 🙂

The culture of the rest of the world is much closer to ours too 😂

2 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

At the moment, any member of the EU can come here as they have automatic right, under a hard brexit, we can let in anyone we want, or stop anyone we want, it would seem sensible to only allow those into this country that will benefit your average Joe, rather than has happened which is to flood the low skilled market, driving wages and living standards down and thereby benefiting mainly huge corporations who like to pay minimum wage. It might also encourage those same large businesses to help train UK residents where there are skill shortages.

Good post!

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Correct!

17 minutes ago, oowee said:

No it will be the other way around we can treat the EU nationals like we treat the rest of the world where the majority of migrants come from 🙂

Block them all! Including relatives, fiancees etc etc....Then apply a very strict version of the Australian points system!

Edited by pinfireman
spelling

15 minutes ago, oowee said:

That's the whole point though, if May is to be believed, we're to adopt a skills based migration policy, where we only let people in who are beneficial to the country, which is a huge shift from what has happened up until now.

As for your second paragraph, I think that's wrong to, Australia, America ect we share alot of common culture with them.

1 minute ago, Gordon R said:

oowee - do you post garbage just because you can?

He should answer yes to that!

How anyone can state that Hundreds of thousands of Slovakian, Bulgarian and Albanian  Romanies (?) with little, or no English, and a large number who are illiterate, bring a benefit to this country beats me! 

Just now, 12gauge82 said:

That's the whole point though, if May is to be believed, we're to adopt a skills based migration policy, where we only let people in who are beneficial to the country, which is a huge shift from what has happened up until now.

As for your second paragraph, I think that's wrong to, Australia, America ect we share alot of common culture with them.

Agree with all this. Nowt wrong with Aus, US ect. Just thinking about the arrangements for (non skilled key labour ? ) Say Care workers pickers , packers etc where the EU residents have filled lots of jobs. We either have to rethink how these jobs work or add them to the key workers list which will open them up to residents from the third world? 

5 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

oowee - do you post garbage just because you can?

Gordon nothing to add? 

22 minutes ago, oowee said:

Is it really ?
Our scrotes and layabouts tend to stay in our benefit rich environment, its their natural habitat.

European wasters tend to 'migrate' towards it too, as do the 'rest of the world'

Maybe Brexit will change that, maybe when we are on our knees due to our bad decisions, we can all move to France and Germany and claim their benefits and fill their cheap labour spaces ? 😎
We shall have to walk through the Chunnel obviously, or pay a people smuggler to get us over there on a rubber dinghy, as the planes wont be allowed to land 😂
Our driving licences wont be valid , so we shall have to learn how to drive like Italians, with one hand on the horn all the time.
Sadly our cats and dogs will have to be left behind, as we cannot afford quaratine , but hey , theyll make a meal for some of the less fortunate British souls left behind.😋

11 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Is it really ?
Our scrotes and layabouts tend to stay in our benefit rich environment, its their natural habitat.

European wasters tend to 'migrate' towards it too, as do the 'rest of the world'

Maybe Brexit will change that, maybe when we are on our knees due to our bad decisions, we can all move to France and Germany and claim their benefits and fill their cheap labour spaces ? 😎
We shall have to walk through the Chunnel obviously, or pay a people smuggler to get us over there on a rubber dinghy, as the planes wont be allowed to land 😂
Our driving licences wont be valid , so we shall have to learn how to drive like Italians, with one hand on the horn all the time.
Sadly our cats and dogs will have to be left behind, as we cannot afford quaratine , but hey , theyll make a meal for some of the less fortunate British souls left behind.😋

:lol: French will have blocked the tunnel by then or have diverted it to the Isle of Wight. 

4 hours ago, oowee said:

Agree with all this. Nowt wrong with Aus, US ect. Just thinking about the arrangements for (non skilled key labour ? ) Say Care workers pickers , packers etc where the EU residents have filled lots of jobs. We either have to rethink how these jobs work or add them to the key workers list which will open them up to residents from the third world? 

Gordon nothing to add? 

With regards key non skilled labour, I agree, something will need to be done differently and of course a change as big as brexit will bring some challenges, however Australia and New Zealand do well using a visa scheme so there are ways around it that mean we don't need to basically give everyone in the EU a british passport. 

3 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Just like old times then. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tklaMNH7IA

Some people consider bricklayers to be unskilled just because we eat our crayons 😂....Bricklayers regard people who work in offices as soft (because they are 😄)  and anyone who watched al wiedesehen pet will remember that the unskilled labour was turkish

5 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

I think that's totally correct, I don't really think we have that much in common with the French or Germans to be honest, I have never been to Australia but I go regularly to the US and worked there for a while, to me its very much home from home.

Just now, Vince Green said:

I think that's totally correct, I don't really think we have that much in common with the French or Germans to be honest, I have never been to Australia but I go regularly to the US and worked there for a while, to me its very much home from home.

Absolutely, after all alot of the founders of both those countries came from Britain, alot of the ex commonwealth country's also share at least some of our culture, I see brexit as opening the UK to the rest of the world, rather than as we are forced to do at the moment being a EU member and shunning alot of it.

59 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Absolutely, after all alot of the founders of both those countries came from Britain, alot of the ex commonwealth country's also share at least some of our culture, I see brexit as opening the UK to the rest of the world, rather than as we are forced to do at the moment being a EU member and shunning alot of it.

I don't think a lot of people, and certainly not the remainers ( - that's obvious), realise just how handcuffed we are by our EU membership. Its like being restricted to only shopping at their outlets with no negotiation about the price.

I will give you an example, In the US I can buy a Ford Mustang 5 litre V8 new for a little over $21,000, the same car in Britain is double that. The reason, simply, is to protect the German car producers.

14 hours ago, hambone said:

Some people consider bricklayers to be unskilled j

The quote didn't say unskilled - it said cheap. And with the drop in sterling that a hard Brexit is set to trigger. British brickies will be the cheapest in western Europe.

Edited by Retsdon

4 hours ago, Retsdon said:

The quote didn't say unskilled - it said cheap. And with the drop in sterling that that a hard Brexit is set to trigger. British brickies will be the cheapest in western Europe.

On the plus side for brickies, employers will have to pay them better if they don't want them leaving then, wages are always set by supply and demand, companies will also need to offer more apprenticeships to ensure they have enough, which in turn will mean more decent jobs for the young who otherwise may have ended up working for minimum wage all their life, there's always going to be pros and cons with any major change, sterling drops equals better for exports.