Brexit - merged threads

scouser

9 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

There's no way forward. To be honest, this government has already been getting uncomfortably close to doing violence to the Good Friday Agreement with its reliance on the DUP for a parliamentary majority. The Westminster government is supposed to be neutral - it's written into the Agreement. And then to compound it, a grouping of N.I. non-unionist MPs were recently refused an audience with the P.M. to discuss their concerns about that, and upcoming Brexit. That's not how it's supposed to work.

But we'll see. Northern Ireland voted 56%-44% to remain in the EU. Times do change from time to time. Certainly were there to be another vote with the choices of Hard Exit, May's Plan, or Remain, I don't mind betting that Remain would win in N.I. by a landslide. Then what? 

I think you are right. It's certainly the case that most of us now realise and understand the implications of the vote far more than we did at the start of the process. I think when the vote was being originally discussed Scotland asked for the votes to be binding on to the individual nation states. 

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

The refugee NGO ships have been rumbled for the time being, he literally cast them adrift when it became obvious who was financing them.

But..but ..the EU said its imperative to preserve the good friday agreement ??
If Ireland reunifies , much to the disgust of the Unionists, what becomes of it then ?
If you dont know the answer to that question, youre not paying attention.

I haven't been paying attention. Why don't you enlighten me? 

On 15/11/2018 at 15:59, Jaymo said:

Nope - I just hope my team win next time 🙂

E43B1779-9B0E-43CA-A9FE-E4F0C6537070.jpeg

There isn,t gonna be a next time................This is NOT the Premier League!

5 hours ago, scouser said:

On the local radio, a professor of politics said the negotiations where like a talk between a canary and a cat,and we were the ones with the feathers, we needed a thatcher or a trump to do the talking and give them the two finger salute.

Correct!

52 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

I'll never vote Conservative again unless we leave.

Seems that to avoid Labour getting in we have to vote Con - but that really is a CON leading them to think they can just do as they like instead of honouring election mandates and going against what their own electorates supported them for.  Maybe they know their time is up anyway.

Its UKIP for me in future even if that means Labour screws our country more than europe does. As long as any Tory that dumped on their voters I'll feel justice has been served if they get dumped at the next election

Good thinking....................UKIP took us to a Referendum, and if they were to rise again, and use tactical voting, perhaps they could help us punish the Remainers?

44 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Did you miss the bit where I said, if theres no problem now, why would there be a problem then ?
How many illegal immigrants have been known to get into the UK via Eire, hardly any .

Hardly any we know of, if there is money to be made someone will exploit it.

It's certainly a stumbling point.

52 minutes ago, oowee said:

So maybe that's the starting point. We want a border to protect little Britain so we have to start with a new good Friday agreement. ? 

Or we accept customs union? 

Or we..........? 

Little Britain? That comment says it all.........The world,s Fifth largest economy, a country whose last quarter gdp figures were double that of Germany, the country that is currently attracting more inward investment than any other in the EU..........the list goes on.............Little? I do not think so! (Only in the minds of Corbynistas, and they need full frontal lobotomies!)

37 minutes ago, oowee said:

Certainly we would look to the Tory right and the Brexit voters, or at least those that knew what they were voting for. 

And Mr Cameron, former Prime Minister, architect of the referendum, leader of the Remain campaign and the one who told us that a vote to leave the EU meant a vote to leave the single market and the customs union (I'd like to think he knew what the implications were regards Northern Ireland).

50 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Did you miss the bit where I said, if theres no problem now, why would there be a problem then ?
How many illegal immigrants have been known to get into the UK via Eire, hardly any .

Especially if they cannot get into Eire without  being smuggled there in a lorry crossing the UK first!  Irish freight from the EU mostly goes through an English port!

Just now, Mice! said:

Hardly any we know of, if there is money to be made someone will exploit it.

It's certainly a stumbling point.

But they would have to travel to Eire first, they could stow away, but its not like jumping on a lorry through the chunnel.

Plus , its about time they started getting sent back to the last safe departure, ie France, they are illegal immigrants , not refugees if they go to these lengths.
If we started sending them to France, France would start sending them somewhere too, I think Merkels still looking for people to pay her pension :lol:

49 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

...persuade the Northern Irish that unification with the south is in their best interests? £10 billion saved, and a wet border. So no need for customs unions or any of that stuff either. An win / win result. What's not to like?

Stuff that! It,s part of the UK! The majority of the Northern Irish wish to stay that way!  (and if you think the  citizens of Eire want a large Protestant, Unionist minority in the North, willing to take up arms against them , you are sadly deluded!)

46 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Then watch the north descend into sectarian violence, the resurgence of all factions, weapons dug up , multiple atrocities and death ,creating an economic basket case both sides of the border,
Blame the British and Brexit, large economic aid package from the UK , and UN peacekeepers to keep them apart, fences and wall again.
Sorted.

Correct!

34 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

There's no way forward. To be honest, this government has already been getting uncomfortably close to doing violence to the Good Friday Agreement with its reliance on the DUP for a parliamentary majority. The Westminster government is supposed to be neutral - it's written into the Agreement. And then to compound it, a grouping of N.I. non-unionist MPs were recently refused an audience with the P.M. to discuss their concerns about that, and upcoming Brexit. That's not how it's supposed to work.

But we'll see. Northern Ireland voted 56%-44% to remain in the EU. Times do change from time to time. Certainly were there to be another vote with the choices of Hard Exit, May's Plan, or Remain, I don't mind betting that Remain would win in N.I. by a landslide. Then what? 

I doubt it! 

24 minutes ago, oowee said:

I think you are right. It's certainly the case that most of us now realise and understand the implications of the vote far more than we did at the start of the process. I think when the vote was being originally discussed Scotland asked for the votes to be binding on to the individual nation states. 

Scotland is still a part of the United Kingdom! Scot Nits asked for the vote to  be binding.......The Referendum was nationwide!

3 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

Stuff that! It,s part of the UK! The majority of the Northern Irish wish to stay that way!  

As I pointed out, times change from time to time. The majority of Northern Irish also wishto stay in the EU. Given that the two wishes are now mutually exclusive, perhaps they should be given a vote to decide which one they'd like to go with? It would seem fair enough to me...

1 minute ago, Retsdon said:

As I pointed out, times change from time to time. The majority of Northern Irish also wishto stay in the EU. Given that the two wishes are now mutually exclusive, perhaps they should be given a vote to decide which one they'd like to go with? It would seem fair enough to me...

And for the majority Peace and prosperity is more important than petty politics. 

8 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I would have given the credit for that to Nigel Farage.?

I use architect as the PM being ultimately responsible for the parliamentary process, setting out the rules, setting out the question, what it meant, simple in/ out, saying that parliament would carry out the results of the vote and also usefully telling us that it was fully in or fully out. 

He will have known exactly what the implications were regards the NI border and the Good Friday agreement. The thing is, I'm not sure that it is such an issue, the EU does not have an answer as to what they would do with the border if we left on WTO rules in March.

Edited by yod dropper

27 minutes ago, scouser said:

Instead of giving the EU the 39billion, give it to the PEOPLE (not the politicians) of northern island, and ask them if they would like to be in the EU permanently.    Problem solved.

Plus giving them the option to move to England 

7 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

And at the moment, anyone who wishes to remain in the EU, is free to move to any of the other member Countries.

What would they have to remoan about then !

I seem to remember lots of people threatening to leave because of Brexit, 'I shall use my Irish citizenship blah blah '
Aaannd theyre still here :lol:

5 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

But they won't have citizenship.

No, but their rights will be protected.

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

What would they have to remoan about then !

I seem to remember lots of people threatening to leave because of Brexit, 'I shall use my Irish citizenship blah blah '
Aaannd theyre still here :lol:

:good: yes I know a few who said the same and they are also still here.

28 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Aaannd theyre still here 

I have a colleague here who is an absolutely fanatical UKIP Brexiter. Not joking, he's applied for Irish citizenship. When I raised my eyebrows, his response was, 'what I want for my country and what I need to do for my family are not necessarily the same thing'. JRM would probably concur as he moves his millions out of sterling.

Edited by Retsdon

17 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

JRM will probably tell you the same thing as he moves his millions out of sterling.

You know hes doing this I presume ?

18 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

what I want for my country and what I need to do for my family are not necessarily the same thing

Is that a conflict of interest ?