• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 07/12/2018 at 18:31, Scully said:

🙂

Someone put me right here please because I admit I have always suffered from a lack of attention issues and this has gone every which way but loose. 

If we lose brexit and another vote is somehow forced on us, would it be feasible to cancel brexit for now, find a leave Tory to replace May - like she replaced Cameron, and enact another article 50 when we have made a better effort towards it and found someone who would be capable of delivering it - albeit after a frustrating delay?

45 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Someone put me right here please because I admit I have always suffered from a lack of attention issues and this has gone every which way but loose. 

If we lose brexit and another vote is somehow forced on us, would it be feasible to cancel brexit for now, find a leave Tory to replace May - like she replaced Cameron, and enact another article 50 when we have made a better effort towards it and found someone who would be capable of delivering it - albeit after a frustrating delay?

Yes. Perfectly possible. However, if you think we have chaos now, can you imagine what such a scenario would bring?! We'd have to have one referendum to dump brexit. Then another referendum to reignite brexit (so a majority would have to first agree to not leaving, then agree to leaving (again) almost immediately) then we'd have to go through the whole negotiation process again! So yes it's possible, but you'd end up with an electorate so hacked off that Guy Fawkes would look like a rather limp-wristed moderate in comparison!

42 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Ground open up and swallow her, elope with Cameron, poisoned with Russkie nerve toxin ? :sick:

Right now, I think May would take all of these in place of being PM! 

Edited by chrisjpainter

53 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Spanner in the works...

image.png.259ef75a8187938f2d259e899539a8f9.png

But a European commission spokesman insisted that there was no scope for negotiation, saying: “This deal is the best and only deal possible. We will not renegotiate the deal that is on the table right now. That is very clear.

“Our position has therefore not changed and as far as we’re concerned the UK is leaving the EU on the 29 March 2019. We are prepared for all scenarios.”

Wouldn't that be the ultimate irony. A no deal Brexit forced on us by the EU.

54 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Yes - in theory, provided the new P.M. could get it past Parliament, the and EU would negotiate a new deal  - and Parliament would pass the 'new deal' - all of which are likely to be a 'No'.  So we will be back where we are now.  And we (who as a country chose leave) should expect Parliament (who are after all our elected representatives) to carry it out - even if it means a 'no deal'.  But in practice they won't. 

10 minutes ago, Danger-Mouse said:

Wouldn't that be the ultimate irony. A no deal Brexit forced on us by the EU.

Actually since the whole referendum was triggered by the EU causing the British people to be unhappy with how it was going and the path it was taking, and failing to give Cameron anything useful to secure a 'remain' win, it is to be expected. 

90 pages of debate on this in nearly 6 months, heres a post I made on page 2 or 3 back in July, as you can see , not much has changed since then.

On 09/07/2018 at 15:31, muncher said:

Will work out a treat,an election after Xmas ,no time to sort a deal and we exit with a clean break.

"Not sure it will work like that.
A leadership challenge and vote, which will in all likely hood trigger an election could happen, IF there is support in parliament, meaning IF labour think they have a cat in hells chance of doing any good out of it.

The time frame of this makes it the much already discussed autumn election.
Personally I dont think labour would call it , the state theyre in.

As far as Brexit goes, the EU will either reject Mays proposal, or ask for that many amendments, as to make it unworkable for us.

But heres the kicker.
May must have known this would happen, is this  a way of her making a dignified exit ?
Is this a way of re ordering the cabinet and party, to better cope with what would appear to be an almost definite, hard, no deal Brexit ?
Ive said all along the EU will never give us a favourable deal, and will force a hard Brexit, it simply cant afford to do anything else.

Wait and see in the next few days if May resigns, I think shes had enough, no popularity, little support, she is in the wrong place at the wrong time.
If someone sensible can take the reigns and unify the party, an election MIGHT be avoided, but if the opposition fancy their chances, who knows ?"

Strange old world..

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

As Renee would say;

Theres one thing we could thank the French for.. their not so subtle reminder of how the peasants displeasure can get so swiftly out of hand.

While the French police are shooting people in the face with plastic bullets, and lining schoolkids up against wall, Monsieur Macron is hiding in his globalist palace wondering where it all went wrong.

Never underestimate the simmering displeasure the people have with government.

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

Theres one thing we could thank the French for.. their not so subtle reminder of how the peasants displeasure can get so swiftly out of hand.

While the French police are shooting people in the face with plastic bullets, and lining schoolkids up against wall, Monsieur Macron is hiding in his globalist palace wondering where it all went wrong.

Never underestimate the simmering displeasure the people have with government.

I am awaiting an announcement from Paris, "Let them eat cake!"

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I am awaiting an announcement from Paris, "Let them eat cake!"

its a bloody good job the french dont pay what we pay for fuel and pay the bloody taxes we pay...there would be dead people all over the streets........................Macron is trying to balance his budget and looks at the british system and says .."lets rape our people how the brits rape their people"

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

the world will experience the rise of the disgruntled "ordinary citizen" and changes will ensue.

The world will experience the rise of the disgruntled "ordinary citizen" and changes will ensue there will be a lot of gnashing of teeth, a few bruised heads nothing much will actually change when it all blows over.

The EU have said they won't renegotiate! No change there then, they have never negotiated, what has the UK gotten out of two years of "negotiations"  it seems the EU has just told us what the "agreement" is, and what we are (or more likely, are not!) getting............take it or leave it!........This is not a "deal"! if you are negotiating and can't get an a mutually acceptable agreement with another party and if they won't move, what do you do?.......Cave in and give the other party everything they demand.........or just walk away?

The choice for the UK is coming down to a walk away Brexit or another referendum with remain as an option......anyone getting a sense of deja vu?

Edited by panoma1

2 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Not a bad idea, we might get out on our terms somehow.

Alternatively, Parliament exercises it's sovereignty in the truest sense, makes a decision that the Brexit process isn't in the best interests of the country and revokes Article 50. This would not surprise me, the majority would take, and indeed prefer, this option. They would be backed up by the Lords.

The British public would erupt in a huge harrumph. But that would be it.

Edited by mick miller