Brexit - merged threads

scouser

40 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I actually quite respect him, but since he turns 70 this month, and has already had the 'Brexit Secretary' job, he may know a good time to keep his head down.

Agreed , I think he prefers the quiet life in his later years, nothing wrong with that.

57 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

image.png.1ff40eb903e6c08ff5683ef389a823be.png

As soon as I read the post back to myself, I thought , someones liable to point out the sugar connection :lol:

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Who would you like to see replace her?  I don't have a firm positive view, but do not favour Boris.

For me at this moment it would be JRM, if he even stands, but May has been so pig headed to this point, unless she losses the no confidence vote, even heavy numbers voting against her wouldn't make her stand down in my opinion and I can't see enough voting against her, then there's the problem of there being more remainers in parliament, so even if they do replace her, it'll likely be with Amber Rudd or some other remainiac and she'd be worse than May.

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I think he would be a good choice ....... but I'm not sure he will stand.  He is a back bencher, so no ministerial experience.

I do wonder if he could win a general election as he is seen as too 'toff'.

I have the greatest of respect for JRM but share the same doubts about his `image` to the ordianary voter,which is a shame as he is undoubtedly 

an imposing statesman with a pin sharp mind.

5 minutes ago, timmytree said:

I'm starting to think the "no confidence" vote is something thought up by remainers as a way of derailing brexit. Anything to thwart democracy.

It's probably being used by both sides to achieve their objectives, of course the leavers have the backing of the people but they are vastly outnumbered by the remoaners on both sides of the house so I don't see how they can win.

14 minutes ago, timmytree said:

I'm starting to think the "no confidence" vote is something thought up by remainers as a way of derailing brexit. Anything to thwart democracy.

They have a slight problem with a derailing, ironically caused by Ms Miller.

www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1057551/Brexit-news-UK-EU-Gina-Miller-Theresa-May-latest-no-deal-referendum-vote-debate

Unless someone forces a 2nd ref. with remain on the ballot, parliamentary suicide for many MPs, leaving without a deal is the only 'legal' fallback.
Its a peculiar situation.
Theres no time to negotiate a different deal, in fact the EU has said thats the ONLY deal they are going to consider, and will not renegotiate it.

Parliament will not pass the May deal, never would have done, so its dead (Thanks Gina !)

2nd Ref. has to be voted through parliament, but what goes on the ballot ? Would it pass ? What would the electorate make of that kick in the teeth, and a wasted 2 and a half years of division ?

Canada or Norway deals are still possible , but do not really deliver a clean break, plus also needs to be cleared through parliament.

Any other options ? I dont think there are any..
Except, No Deal. Which doesnt need parliamentary approval, is fully legal and would keep at least half the country happy, it is after all what they voted for.

6 hours ago, matone said:

Yep,at this moment in time they just have to get one issue right but whoever tries will have an uphill battle now.

May has stitched us up !

Indeed.

Right stitched, just another minister of the so called prime designation. Needs certifying in my opinion. We need to create a criminal offence for offences against the general population?

20 hours ago, Scully said:

We

Well said that man. 👍

Exactly right!  Brilliant!

18 hours ago, ratchers said:

Well said that man.

Our constituency voted 70 to 30 to leave.

Not sure my MP thinks that way as hes a TM lover.

If he doesn't do what we voted for he'll be out.

Not sure I want Boris the Bungler to be PM, surely JRM is far better.

Andy Pandy would be better than May! As for Boris, he was the best mayor London has had, and he did get things done!

6 hours ago, miroku mk70 said:

It'll be Rees-Mogg. The man drips with ambition...

No, it will not. Boris or David Davis, if  things go well, Raab or, worse still, Rudd, if things go badly!

6 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

He would have been one of my choices ....... but some say he is lazy, not over bright and little more than hot air.

Then they got it wrong!  As for hot air, he acted against May before most of the others! Just quietly gets on with the job, without a lot of hot air!

6 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Nigel is free...………….

I would like to point out because a lot of people, including TM, are trying to bury it. The vote was for a hard Brexit. David Cameron made that completely 100% clear before the referendum 

Not a fudged half hearted compromise, if people like TM and Ollie Robbins hadn't been trying to negotiate a non Brexit we wouldn't be in this ++++ now with no clear plan

correct!

5 hours ago, Aled said:

To quote a fishing mate of mine "This Brexit thing is great for democracy. The original result of the referendum got rid of Cameron and brought in a PM that no one voted for. She then called a General Election and barely got voted for and had to shack up with a load of loons to form a non effective government. Now she might get ousted and we get yet another PM no one voted for. Yay Brexit"

Tight Lines

Aled

David Davies.

Friends of my family know him (I don't) and they say the same.

Cheers

Aled

That "load of loons" could be the only thing holding any chance of a good Brexit! British, and loyal to the core!

5 hours ago, Rewulf said:

On leaving Bec Grammar School in Tooting, his A Level results were not good enough to secure a university place, so Davis worked as an insurance clerk and became an infantry soldier in the Territorial Army's 21 SAS (Artists) Regiment, in order to earn the money to retake his examinations. After doing so, he was able to win a place at the University of Warwick (BSc Joint Hons Molecular Science/Computer Science 1968–71). Whilst at Warwick, he was one of the founding members of the student radio station, University Radio Warwick and he founded a men's choir.[7] He went straight on from there to London Business School, where he got a master's degree in Business (1971–73), and, later, Harvard University (Advanced Management Program 1984–85).

Davis worked for Tate & Lyle for 17 years, rising to become a senior executive, including restructuring its troubled Canadian subsidiary, Redpath Sugar.[8] He wrote about his business experiences in the 1988 book How to Turn Round a Company.

Lazy and not over bright ?

A man who worked his way up from nothing to become a government minister, with no silver spoons in sight, and no dirt involved.
A rarity in politics.

And brought up in a single parent household, on a council estate! What do  people want? The Second Coming? Davies is head and shoulders above the rest!

4 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I did particularly state that "some say" because I don't have an opinion myself, not really knowing anything other than what I read. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-davis-thick-as-mince-lazy-as-a-toad-dominic-cummings-a7845911.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/15/david-daviss-former-chief-staff-suggests-lazy-works-three-days/

I actually quite respect him, but since he turns 70 this month, and has already had the 'Brexit Secretary' job, he may know a good time to keep his head down.

Or to put his country once again before personal feelings?

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

They have a slight problem with a derailing, ironically caused by Ms Miller.

www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1057551/Brexit-news-UK-EU-Gina-Miller-Theresa-May-latest-no-deal-referendum-vote-debate

Unless someone forces a 2nd ref. with remain on the ballot, parliamentary suicide for many MPs, leaving without a deal is the only 'legal' fallback.
Its a peculiar situation.
Theres no time to negotiate a different deal, in fact the EU has said thats the ONLY deal they are going to consider, and will not renegotiate it.

Parliament will not pass the May deal, never would have done, so its dead (Thanks Gina !)

2nd Ref. has to be voted through parliament, but what goes on the ballot ? Would it pass ? What would the electorate make of that kick in the teeth, and a wasted 2 and a half years of division ?

Canada or Norway deals are still possible , but do not really deliver a clean break, plus also needs to be cleared through parliament.

Any other options ? I dont think there are any..
Except, No Deal. Which doesnt need parliamentary approval, is fully legal and would keep at least half the country happy, it is after all what they voted for.

Wonderful !!!!!

Boris or JRM for me, and preferably the latter as I think he has the potential for true statesmanship. 

As an aside, what had me shouting at the tv the other night in response to May delaying putting her recommendations to the house, was the BBC's list of 'options' available to MP's , one of which included 'a 2nd referendum'! When did that EVER become an option? We voted to leave; there wasn't a list of options or provisos, there was a vote....to leave or stay, and the majority voted to leave. Let's get on with it. I wouldn't pay the EU 39 quid never mind 39 billion; tell them we're going at the end of March next year and do so. No deals, no options, no pay outs. Just leave. 

I have my T-shirt already printed....'UK leaves the EU; Europe cut off. '  🙂

JRM is the only real option. He may talk a bit "plummy" but he seems grounded and a tad more honest than the rest of the trough gobblers.

May is finished, Boris was never going to be anything other than a buffoon and a figure of fun. There isn't another character worth mentioning;

Lets have a new PM, no deal Brexit, save a fortune and an election next year.

Macron can reinstate his fuel taxes and cut minimum wage to keep the EU gravy train going.

When does Adolph Merkel finish? About the same time as the EU implodes?

Rees-Mogg may not get the Prime Ministerial position this time. He has a genuine intellect and does not suffer from the gross moral turpitude that seems to be an endemic thread in Parliament. Should he rise to the top the loony left will be incandescent.

12 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Nothing is certain in this life, but my prediction is that May will win tonight's confidence vote by a convincing margin and carry on. There will be some humphing and moaning, but eventually she will also get Parliament to endorse her deal. 

If that deal goes through we may as well roll over and give Europe our backsides on a plate.